Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2022, 09:41 AM

Default New Hunter Preparation

The first goose hunt thread got me thinking about how I prepare a new hunter, before taking them on their first hunts. I take out new hunters, both youth and adult fairly regularly, and I don't just take them out and hope for the best. With any new hunter, I quiz then on the basic regulations, and what they can and can't shoot, where we will be hunting. Then I take them to the range whether it be for rifle or shotgun, depending on what we will be hunting. I want to be sure that they not only handle firearms safely, but that they are at least somewhat competent with their firearm. For big game hunting, I base the maximum distance that I allow them to shoot, on how well they shoot at the range, I won't let someone that is iffy on a 200 yard target, shoot at an animal at 300 yards. For birds, I take them to the skeet field, and they have to break at least 13/25, before I take them hunting. When we get to the hunting area, I go over the layout, and make sure that they know where all homes and roads are and if there are domestic animals on the property. For birds we go over safety around dogs and other people, and shooting your lane for waterfowl. For big game I confirm that the animal is legal, then set up the sticks, and confirm the range. If the animal doesn't drop at the shot, no more shots are fired, until I confirm which animal was shot at, so a second animal doesn't get shot. For birds, I look for single geese, and let the new hunter shoot first, as then he/she will not flock shoot, and they will know for sure if they killed the bird. A little preparation not only makes the first hunts safer, and legal, but it also makes them more successful, and more enjoyable.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:45 PM

I have only taken rookies for big game

Taking them shooting to learn their capabilities, limitations, and possibly help them improve is always on the list

Scouting because if they are too lazy to come scout they are not motivated enough to learn. I am not looking to gift wrap an animal for them. Plus they learn about sign/habitat so they can find animals on their own. Plus I need to know if I can tolerate them too lol

Sit down with regs so they can ask ? If needed

These are the main 3
Old 08-28-2022, 02:56 PM

I like to have a few spots that I know hold animals, but aren't along my favorite places to be that I can bring them to. Having been self taught from day one, I know how difficult it is to know what areas you're looking for, what signs based on the time of year, do locations hold animals or are you wasting time. Knowing ahead of time that a spot holds animals because I've hunted it previously, and then guiding the new hunter through what they are looking for.
This is how I got my wife started in hunting, along with quite a few other people who haven't hunted before. Knowing where to start is the first battle.
CJ