Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Baiting ungulates in Alberta is illegal

Boone and Crockett could care less if you are ears deep in a corn pile when you shoot the deer so long as it was done lawfully.

Do I think it will give you an advantage? It depends who you are. If you are willing to dedicate yourself and are willing to put in the time it would probably work out well for you.

I have heard the argument during bear season and the comfort in getting a solid identification of the animal is a good point, this is actually the first time I think that I’ve considered the safety aspect of getting a mile back in the woods but you can do that with or without a bait pile too so I guess it’s a moot point.

Find their food, find their bed, then concentrate on travel routes. During the rut bucks follow travel routes to go long distances, they seem to stick to the same travel routes every year. If you put in enough time down wind of a travel route it’ll work out well for you too.
You are 100% correct you don’t need bait to hunt way back in the bush. Your last paragraph is also bang on. Only thing I would add is the scrape lines are also in the same spot each year
Old 10-23-2020, 10:50 PM

The problem with baiting is it screws uP the natural wandering of deer. If a neighbour has bait out then you may not see an animal on your spot all season.
Then it becomes a competition p, who can have the tastiest bait.
I’d rather use my own hunting abilities.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The problem with baiting is it screws uP the natural wandering of deer. If a neighbour has bait out then you may not see an animal on your spot all season.
Then it becomes a competition p, who can have the tastiest bait.
I’d rather use my own hunting abilities.
I have no first hand experience with baiting but when I lived in BC my buddy who lived with me ran baits all year. Honestly never seen anything that impressive out of it. I would get just as much or more activity on my cams in pinch points and travel routes then his bait stations. Only benefit I seen was he got nicer pictures because the animals stopped. He did not shoot anymore animals either

Personally I don’t think it is near as effective as some believe
Old 10-24-2020, 06:56 AM

With the worries about CWD and the spread....

Not sure why Sask still allows baiting?

$$$$$$$$?

I guess the tag revenue from selling licenses to Americans is the only thing SERM worries about.

Baiting is for losers and slobs that are too lazy to hunt.... because sitting over a bait isn't hunting .
Old 10-24-2020, 07:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post

$$$$$$$$?

I guess the tag revenue from selling licenses to Americans is the only thing SERM worries about.

Baiting is for losers and slobs that are too lazy to hunt.... because sitting over a bait isn't hunting
But sitting on the edge of a field is? How about a natural mineral lick, can we hunt them?

Some would say using a rifle is for losers, are they right?

Who gets to decide what is hunting and what isn't? You, a PETA member? Who?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:

$$$$$$$$?

Baiting is for losers and slobs that are too lazy to hunt.... because sitting over a bait isn't hunting .
Give your head a shake there's a PETA site not too far from here.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
But sitting on the edge of a field is? How about a natural mineral lick, can we hunt them?

Some would say using a rifle is for losers, are they right?

Who gets to decide what is hunting and what isn't? You, a PETA member? Who?
No matter how someone hunts there is a group out there that will deem that method unethical. In most cases the negative people have not taken the time to experience the method they are against and just make assumptions about it

Keep it legal, respect others and the game you hunt is all that should matter
Old 10-24-2020, 08:42 AM

I don't bear hunt and when I did it was all spot and stalk. I do on occasion go along with a buddy to tend his baits. If you think sitting on a bait is a lazy mans way to get a bear I believe you're wrong. It is a lot of work to set up, maintain and supply a proper functioning working bait site or sites. I would hasten to bet baiters put far more hours in work to get a bear than the average spot and stalk hunter.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:

$$$$$$$$?

This is a very arrogant post !
The " hunt like I do or you are a slob and lazy " attitude is for elitists , I would suggest you actually think before you post .
Cat
Old 10-24-2020, 09:18 AM

Some interesting opinions.

What is hunting?

People have been baiting, changing the land scape for the purpose of hunting for 1000’s of years. In comes down to what is legal in your province.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Another Warning

Again, anyone who bashes another hunter for using all legal means to obtain their Quarry, will be suspended or Banned. We don’t need division amongst us hunters. Support each other’s right and privilege to hunt, or join the SJW Forum.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:29 AM

If you're having any doubts about hunting I'm watching a show right now called stars in the sky Steve rinella

Old 10-24-2020, 09:44 PM

I’m happy to see some excellent discussion from this. I will admit my original post was made somewhat in anger, my bad.

Some very good points brought up by many as to why the stores sell bait. I had not thought about those reasons (they are irrelevant to me and my hunting methods) but they are valid none the less. And many of you are correct in pointing out that not everyone will use it for illegal purposes, but at the same time some will, human nature.

As a side note I get excellent pictures of many species of game (whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, moose) on my trail cams on crown land without the use of bait. I, as mentioned by others, read the trails and assess where the game will be, set up a camera, then sit back and enjoy the pictures.

As I said in my original post, I am against the use of illegal (to me that is unethical) hunting methods. If you are hunting within the laws of your jurisdiction, happy hunting.

I see many people breaking the law while hunting on crown land, and hear stories of it all the time. I wish there was more enforcement out there, or perhaps just more education as to what is and isn’t legal. I hadn’t really thought about reporting, but based on one of the above posts I will start doing that.

Stay safe out there everyone
Old 10-24-2020, 10:41 PM

Good to see a few people are considering Wildlife health and the topic of baiting.

I don't care about the ethics of baiting ungulates, but I sure do care about the risks imposed on Wildlife health by baiting.

This is a Wildlife Health issue.
Baiting/feeding Ungulates FOR ANY PURPOSE, should be illegal in Alberta.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-24-2020, 10:51 PM

I know in many states people plant certain crops to attract deer. Some of these places also use feeders to include "vitamins, hormones and other stuff" to enhance antler production.

It's one of those things where there "a line" but it's for the state or province to decide what's legal and it's up to the hunter to decide what he or she is comfortable with.

......... on another note .........

I once was invited "hunting" when I lived in the mid west and we drove out to a edge of a field, parked the truck, and watched the "feeder" at the far edge of the field for the deer to come in at dusk.

I can't say it was stimulating, but to some guys it was hunting. I explained how we "hunt" up here and the guy asked "that seems pretty dangerous, don't allot of people get shot" ..... (There are some places in the mid west where public land has a conservation officer marshaling people into parking spots) - literally.

As much as we complain about crowding - we have it pretty good - even compared to some crazy areas down in southern AB where it seems like it's getting pretty bad out there.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:11 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
I’m happy to see some excellent discussion from this. I will admit my original post was made somewhat in anger, my bad.

Some very good points brought up by many as to why the stores sell bait. I had not thought about those reasons (they are irrelevant to me and my hunting methods) but they are valid none the less. And many of you are correct in pointing out that not everyone will use it for illegal purposes, but at the same time some will, human nature.

As a side note I get excellent pictures of many species of game (whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, moose) on my trail cams on crown land without the use of bait. I, as mentioned by others, read the trails and assess where the game will be, set up a camera, then sit back and enjoy the pictures.

As I said in my original post, I am against the use of illegal (to me that is unethical) hunting methods. If you are hunting within the laws of your jurisdiction, happy hunting.

I see many people breaking the law while hunting on crown land, and hear stories of it all the time. I wish there was more enforcement out there, or perhaps just more education as to what is and isn’t legal. I hadn’t really thought about reporting, but based on one of the above posts I will start doing that.

Stay safe out there everyone

You think baiting is unethical, yet you see many people poaching and don't report it?
Isn't that unethical?

Dude you are starting to sound a lot like a guy I know of that used to drive a black dodge.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-25-2020, 06:08 AM

And wolf

Old 10-25-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
Do people know it is unlawful (per the Alberta hunting regulations) to bait big game with the exception of black bear (only where permitted)? And why do Cabela’s and Bass Pro have this garbage on the floor in this province? That only serves to confuse the uniformed. I’m going to have to enquire with some managers.

If you need to bait deer, just go to the grocery store, you aren’t hunting.

Evidently, this grinds my gears.

Seriously people, read the regs. If you have questions about something, ask fish and wildlife. Don’t do anything if you aren’t certain of its legality. You should be able to ethically harvest game.

Happy, ethical hunting
And wolf

Old 10-25-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Call it legal or whatever you want but don't call it hunting. Hunting is about respect and fair chase. Hiding, ambush and baiting are a cowards reaction to the sport of hunting and give it a bad name. But carry on. The tale of the tape will be in your grand kids and their comments on this previous practice.
Yup hiding and ambushing is real cowardly that’s why when I’m hunting I wave my arms and yell real loud at the animals so they know I’m there. This way I know i don’t have an unfair advantage.

Although using this technique, I have been hunting for 41 years and never shot an animal.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:10 PM

I feel baited by the OP.

Does anyone else feel baited?

There are no absolutes