Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 PM

Default Baiting big game

Do people know it is unlawful (per the Alberta hunting regulations) to bait big game with the exception of black bear (only where permitted)? And why do Cabela’s and Bass Pro have this garbage on the floor in this province? That only serves to confuse the uniformed. I’m going to have to enquire with some managers.

If you need to bait deer, just go to the grocery store, you aren’t hunting.

Evidently, this grinds my gears.

Seriously people, read the regs. If you have questions about something, ask fish and wildlife. Don’t do anything if you aren’t certain of its legality. You should be able to ethically harvest game.

Happy, ethical hunting
Old 10-22-2020, 07:43 PM

They get away with it just like selling game callers with elk bugling, deer rattling or selling gaffs for fishing.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 PM

I buy salt blocks there because I like to see the deer from my deck. I don't shoot anything near any type of bait, but like to watch them year round. Although I see your point of view, not everyone uses it for nefarious purposes. Most of my neighbours use them for the same purpose and none of them hunt.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 08:32 PM

Nothing illegal about baiting game if you aren’t hunting them.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:53 PM

If you need to bait deer, just go to the grocery store, you aren’t hunting.

Evidently, this grinds my gears.

Go to the grocery store? Not sure if I totally agree with that. I am new to Alberta and I know the regulations well enough to know I can’t bait deer. Which I sometimes wish we could here in Alberta. I am from NS where baiting is allowed. I have done both, bait, walk and stalk, and sometimes I think baiting is a bit safer lol. One thing I learned here in Alberta is that there are a lot of drive around hunters which was discussed in an earlier post, which is fine with me if they are legally doing it. Mind you that is when bullets whizz by people. One thing I like about baiting if it was allowed in AB, is I could walk a km in the brush and drop bait and not have to worry about anyone being around especially if there is no woods road, oil road or quad road. Most people in my area don’t venture far in the bush in my experience.

To each’s own.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
Exactly!! They sell .22’s as well but you can’t use them on big game. Plain and simple know the regs before you hunt...end of story.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:10 PM

I tend to agree with others. Just because they sell deer corn doesn’t mean that the people buying it are putting it directly in front of their tree stand. Some people use it in the summer months in front of their trail cameras which is completely legal.

I do see your point but people can buy these things from a feed store as well.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 PM

Default I Hunt

I go to Sask every year and grab a bag or two before I leave.
Anything no matter what you use can be used for the wrong purposes where ever you go or are.
WDF
Old 10-22-2020, 10:03 PM

You can legally bait big game to attract them to your game cams, the only issue is that some people either keep baiting while they hunt, or they stop baiting, but there is still bait remaining at the site they hunt. To legally hunt where you have baited, you would have to be sure that absolutely no bait remains.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Exactly!! They sell .22’s as well but you can’t use them on big game. Plain and simple know the regs before you hunt...end of story.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 10-22-2020, 10:42 PM

Elkhunter I agree with your post on baiting. I was not aware that you can bait black bears in Alta for the purpose of hunting. The video which was posted not long ago about the black bear (hunt) where the two bozos were hiding in the camoflage tent and viewing the bait from a distance? Anyone who calls that hunting needs a consultation in ethics. IMO if you can be proud of that accomplishment anything illegal would be a short stretch.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:27 AM

We do not bait, never have, never will. However, we have found bait sites on our deeded and leased land. When asked about the legality of it to a fish officer, he said legal up til the beginning of any hunting season and legal after. But, he also stated that if the bait site can be seen from the hunters position at any distance, you’re in the wrong and will be charged. So if you’ve got your trail camera bait site setup and you’re blind or position in anywhere that the bait site can be seen, you’re done. And they’ll hammer you on it.

And if you think outfitters aren’t baiting...
Old 10-23-2020, 05:41 AM
Banned

I know of this Stanley guy who leaves a fresh round bale infont of his stands and has hunters hunt out of them. Funny he gets over a hundred bales but only leaves a select few out in the field.
Baiting imo.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
Exactly and I feed the buggers all the time.....I get moose, deer, yotes, foxes and other four legged critters on my property all the time.....especially in Jan/February when it is cold.....if I happen to be in those stores I pick up a few variations of snacks for the critters.....nothing wrong with selling these products...just gotta be used legally like anything else sold....imagine getting all worked up because of car dealerships selling......encouraging speeding etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2020, 07:41 AM

I just picked up 20 bales of alfalfa going to put it in front of my trail camera in my yard at my cabin. will not be hunting over it but I'll have elk deer moose coyotes wolves bears walking by it should have some good pictures next spring. But I can guarantee you lots of people bait I've worked for Outfitters that I was positive some of the guides were baiting what can you do either Legalize It are get more law enforcement,

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2020, 07:43 AM

Interesting comments on this, I didn’t think you could bait or feed deer at all. I thought I had read something about feeding wildlife was not permitted.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotecaller View Post
We do not bait, never have, never will. However, we have found bait sites on our deeded and leased land. When asked about the legality of it to a fish officer, he said legal up til the beginning of any hunting season and legal after. But, he also stated that if the bait site can be seen from the hunters position at any distance, you’re in the wrong and will be charged. So if you’ve got your trail camera bait site setup and you’re blind or position in anywhere that the bait site can be seen, you’re done. And they’ll hammer you on it.

I found a site like that... called the fish cops and told him when to find the poachers sitting on their bait. Told the cop exactly where to walk in to find the spot. He walked out the next day... 2K worth of fines for them and 400 bucks in my pocket for reporting it.

If you find big game bait and you know it’s being hunted over, it’s easy to take care of the problem.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Elkhunter I agree with your post on baiting. I was not aware that you can bait black bears in Alta for the purpose of hunting. The video which was posted not long ago about the black bear (hunt) where the two bozos were hiding in the camoflage tent and viewing the bait from a distance? Anyone who calls that hunting needs a consultation in ethics. IMO if you can be proud of that accomplishment anything illegal would be a short stretch.
Lots of people bait bears. What does baiting bears have to do with ethics if its completely legal? Your are allowed to bait deer etc. almost everywhere but Alberta. Everyone outside of Alberta is hunting unethically? weird comment in my opinion
Old 10-23-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotecaller View Post

Im sorry I don't believe this one bit. So I can put a giant pile of corn up 200 yards away in the thick bush and set up on a trail leading to that pile BUT if I cant see it then im good to go? Someone test that theory out and let me know how much the fine is?
Old 10-23-2020, 08:06 AM

I know and understand that it is illegal to hunt with bait in Alberta (outside of black bears in certain areas) and for a long time had the same opinion regarding baiting as this thread - Anti-baiting!

Was talking to a fish and wildlife officer I know about baiting and he made the comment that he wished it was legal in Alberta, much to my surprise. His opinion, which I had not thought of up to that point, was that if baiting was allowed there would be fewer animals shot and unrecovered for two reasons.

1. If an animal was baited, it would typically give a hunter a better opportunity to make a good clean ethical shot and more likely to recover that animal.
2. A little more time to be able to glass that animal to make sure that it was legal (mule deer vs. whitetail; had sufficient antler to be legal etc.) would alleviate some of the animals that were mistakenly shot and left.

Those comments made me start to think about the ethics of baiting a little differently. I have never hunted in Sask where baiting is allowed or in Alberta for bears, but my understanding is that the majority of the time people are sitting over baits for days on end before the right animal walks by (if it does). If baiting was that easy, all I would have to do is go sit in a farmers stackyard and shoot 200" mule deer every year.

So I think that there can be some benefits to baiting, but I am assuming we are unlikely to ever see that changed in Alberta.

DR
Old 10-23-2020, 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=DRhunter;4253775]I know and understand that it is illegal to hunt with bait in Alberta (outside of black bears in certain areas) and for a long time had the same opinion regarding baiting as this thread - Anti-baiting!

Was talking to a fish and wildlife officer I know about baiting and he made the comment that he wished it was legal in Alberta, much to my surprise. His opinion, which I had not thought of up to that point, was that if baiting was allowed there would be fewer animals shot and unrecovered for two reasons.

1. If an animal was baited, it would typically give a hunter a better opportunity to make a good clean ethical shot and more likely to recover that animal.
2. A little more time to be able to glass that animal to make sure that it was legal (mule deer vs. whitetail; had sufficient antler to be legal etc.) would alleviate some of the animals that were mistakenly shot and left.

Those comments made me start to think about the ethics of baiting a little differently. I have never hunted in Sask where baiting is allowed or in Alberta for bears, but my understanding is that the majority of the time people are sitting over baits for days on end before the right animal walks by (if it does). If baiting was that easy, all I would have to do is go sit in a farmers stackyard and shoot 200" mule deer every year.

So I think that there can be some benefits to.

Totally agree, this argument is much of other provinces thinking. I have baited in the past as well as walk and stalk. I have sat in blinds over bait for days unend seeing nothing, and some years seeing a ton of deer, allowing me the opportunity to harvest a specific animal. However, I will admit that there are downfalls to baiting and usually caused by our own hunting community ethics. People finding your blind and sitting in it, private land or not as the private land laws are bit the same as Alberta where I am from, other hunters setting up 50 yards away, some even tamper with your bait. I was the fortunate one to have my blind cut down by tresspassers in my own land. Never did find out who did it. Crappy experience. I thought of building it again with rebar between the 2x4s, that would give a good buzz to the person if they tried again. But then I thought with my luck I would be charged with intent to harm someone by doing that with our wonderful justice system. So just built one a bit further off the beaten path.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:33 AM

I have never baited deer or even bears but know people that bait deer in states and provinces where it’s legal. They definitely don’t seem to have a slam dunk hunt over bait. Personally I don’t see a big fair chase issue and I don’t see it much different then hunting over crops

I am not sure if it’s true but what I was told Alberta bans bait as a CWD precaution not an ethnics issue

Either way legally in Alberta baiting is a no go
Old 10-23-2020, 08:39 AM

I have heard that as well, more of a CWD management reasoning.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:51 AM

What I cant believe is that you can put out commercial bait, bales, etc with a shortage of food in the middle of winter in Saskatchewan and other baiting provinces and get away with fair chase laws. That is the biggest crock I have ever seen...

FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
What I cant believe is that you can put out commercial bait, bales, etc with a shortage of food in the middle of winter in Saskatchewan and other baiting provinces and get away with fair chase laws. That is the biggest crock I have ever seen...

FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.
That last line can be interrupted in many ways as it will be a manner of personal opinion

Is shooting an animal at 1000yards plus an improper advantage? Is road hunting fair chase?

The list could keep going and you will get mixed options
Old 10-23-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Look who's baiting now lol. Maybe you're not a troll?

Black bear baiting is common, more common than not probably. From tree stands and blinds using barrels filled with bear attracting food, beaver carcasses being the number 1 bait. It's legal, no one is a bozo for hunting within the law. Bozos harass and are abusive towards hunters.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:

This is just a club that was made for Sportsman if you're not into Boone and Crockett scorers what does it really matter what they have to say.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Look who's baiting now lol. Maybe you're not a troll?

Black bear baiting is common, more common than not probably. From tree stands and blinds using barrels filled with bear attracting food, beaver carcasses being the number 1 bait. It's legal, no one is a bozo for hunting within the law. Bozos harass and are abusive towards hunters.
Another reason for allowing bear baiting is that it decreases the chance of a sow with cubs being shot.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Im sorry I don't believe this one bit. So I can put a giant pile of corn up 200 yards away in the thick bush and set up on a trail leading to that pile BUT if I cant see it then im good to go? Someone test that theory out and let me know how much the fine is?
Nope. Can’t do it. If that F&W knows it’s there, you’re done.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:

So by that very logic the use of any weapon to harvest the animal would be considered an improper advantage over such animal.....

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."