Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-30-2020, 06:51 AM

Default Berreta Model 301

Looking at purchasing one of these shotguns, it is a 3" magnum... question is ... all I would be using this gun for would be shooting skeet.. would this accept 2-3/4 fine and any issues to be aware of before purchasing... asking price is $600
Old 01-30-2020, 07:06 AM

The 3" model 301 and 302 , are not good choices for shooting target loads. My 302 would not cycle any target loads, or even lighter 2-3/4" field loads.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:38 AM

No the gas port is designed to bleed gas for a 3 inch , you may get magnum 2 3/4 inch to function but not trap / skeet loads
Old 01-30-2020, 02:41 PM

I have had two beretta 301’s with 3” capability in our family since they were new which has to be 40 years or so now. Had colonial screw in chokes installed in both of them to handle steel shot and my grandsons now use them. These guns have been well used, being my main shotgun for a number of years. Over the years I can’t recall ever having any issues with them handling any specific shells and as far as I was concerned they were one of the premium guns of that era. I did reload when lead shot was allowed for waterfowl and would have cooked up some light 2 3/4” loads for upland and backyard clay target shooting. No problem.

But I never did shoot these beretta 301 using current factory loads intended for skeet, sporting clays or trap.

They are a great shotgun and likely the purchase price will not be excessive. So even if only intended use will be for clay targets why not give it a try.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:37 AM

Default get a 2 3/4" barrel

A Browning B-80 is the same gun and WGP had barrels with screw in chokes for under $200 new.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:03 PM

After the post about browning b80 being same gun as beretta 301 I am wondering if I did not have two of the earlier model 300’s, because when I purchased them I don’t believe b80’s were available. Will verify the model later when talking to son who has the guns stored.

The beretta 300, 301, 302, 303 were all quite similar with each model have progressively more modern features, but my research did not confirm that all 3” models would handle light 2 3/4” and heavy 3” loads interchangeably.

In any event my two beretta’s have never let me down over many many years and for sure handled all loads without a hiccup. The last two years I had the pleasure of guiding my son and two grandsons at the Stettler pheasant festival and they successfully shot pheasants with these guns using light federal upland loads.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwork View Post
After the post about browning b80 being same gun as beretta 301 I am wondering if I did not have two of the earlier model 300’s, because when I purchased them I don’t believe b80’s were available. Will verify the model later when talking to son who has the guns stored.

The beretta 300, 301, 302, 303 were all quite similar with each model have progressively more modern features, but my research did not confirm that all 3” models would handle light 2 3/4” and heavy 3” loads interchangeably.

In any event my two beretta’s have never let me down over many many years and for sure handled all loads without a hiccup. The last two years I had the pleasure of guiding my son and two grandsons at the Stettler pheasant festival and they successfully shot pheasants with these guns using light federal upland loads.
They handled the loads that you fed them, but as you posted previously:

Quote:
But I never did shoot these beretta 301 using current factory loads intended for skeet, sporting clays or trap.
I did try a few commercial target loads, and my 302 would not cycle any of them. I know other people, that experienced the same results. And most people shooting trap or skeet with a 12 gauge, shoot factory target loads, because these days, it isn't financially feasible to load 12 gauge target loads, unless you make your own shot.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:29 PM

My uncle has a 302 he has used for trap for the last few year. Cycled flawlessly for him. I only know this because I normally am standing to his right st the next station. He loads most of his own. Light loads 7/8 oz -1 oz. Or
Sometimes uses my target Winchester loads 1 1/8 heavy target.
Never seems to skip a beat.
He's down at Berger in the U.S. getting large numbers of bullets for the pair of us.
Once back I'm sure he could share experiences with his 302 and any related functioning issues if any.
I believe he was thinking of trading it for an o/u. So it might become available.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 02-05-2020, 06:42 PM

Default barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwork View Post

Should be all interchangeable between the above models.