Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2020, 06:20 PM

Default Wilson hand seaters?

Does anyone use these with an arbor press? How do you find concentricity compared to other “competition” seaters? Thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2020, 08:37 PM

I use them but have never measured run-out. Down range results seem pretty decent so I have no reason to think they are not making concentric loads.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 PM

Most guys I know use them with an arbor press. I find the overall length of loaded rounds is more consistent when using them in a press, easier on the hands ,especially if you have a lot of neck tension and loading larger amounts.. Concentricity is similar to "competition" seaters, both can make straight ammo as long as the brass your loading it into is also concentric and square.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:20 AM
Shooting Xs

I use them on 3 cartridges 6BR 30BR and 6.5CM. with a Sinclair Arbor press,concentricity and seating depth consistency are both excellent.
I've used them and their Bushing Neck sizing dies also.
I use Redding dies for sizing now,but I used to love the looks on guys faces when I started talking about depriming and neck sizing with a mallet on my BR cases with Wilson hand dies. lol
Old 02-15-2020, 11:30 AM

Tried them and the Arbor press. Too slow with no gain in concentricity, accuracy of seating depth etc. If anything, being consistent with the Arbor press was a lot tougher than using a regular press. Biggest improvement I found was by working over the press to make sure everything was lined and square, ram ran true and linkage worked right. Once you got the press good a tight they make great concentric rounds. A lot of what gets blamed on dies is actually the press.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:33 PM

For me, I would maybe use one as a portable loading setup to use at the range, but, I'd try other stuff first with my existing dies and see if it will work the same out there as at home. Definitely a sign of the OCD of chasing bugholes setting in. What flavour of bug do you have in the rug and how much do you think you can actually gain from it, vs are you willing to risk the investment not accomplishing anything for you when all is said and done.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:29 PM

I love them especially on the smaller rounds, no more pinched fingers between the press and seater die....As for slower then regular dies..never noticed any lose in time once you figure out how to use them.

Most people make the mistake of taking the seater stem out of the die then dropping a bullet in, then the seater stem...not the way to use the die...

Back to your question the arbour press works fine, not as big of a mechanical advantage like a conventional press but the "feel" when seating a bullet is much more sensitive..also Like DLab said you can load and seat bullets with a rubber mallet if you have too......

I like them..but still keep my 35 year old Rockchucker on the bench for most jobs where precision is not the key factor.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:17 PM
Gone Hunting

If the die is straight it will give you quality bullet seating.
Another advantage is in changing seating depths, this can be done using seater die shims or a micrometer top.
When changing or using different bullets it is an advantage in seating.