Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 07:28 PM

Default delete

Bought a new Savage axis 22-250 approx 10 mths ago. Less than 100 rounds & the safety quit working. Was driving me nuts to understand the issue. Long story short the long screw next to the trigger was out way too far. Had factory locktite on it but was it ever out. Took the trigger apart and reset where I figured it should be and voila!!!! Lesson to me: Don't rely on a factory safety.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:29 PM

Are you talking about the trigger weight adjustment screw?
Old 01-17-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Are you talking about the trigger weight adjustment screw?
On mine I don't think there is a weight adjustment screw. Only a spring that turns on threads. That is the most rearward setup. It looks like there should be a screw but the spring turns on the threads. After I took it apart I screwed that spring in as far as it would go. The bigger problem was the smaller diameter screw closest to the trigger. I appears to me that the only function of that screw is to control the safety and it was several turns away from doing that. Now that I have adjusted both the rearward spring and the other screw it appears to be functioning the way it should. Before that I could pull the trigger safety on or off. Hope that helps and I hope I got it right.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:14 PM

There should have been a little adjustment tool with a yellow endvtgatvuscysed to adjust that spring .
That is your trigger adjustment .
I found the very best way to adjust the Accutriger
Is
A: disassemble action from Stock.
B: carefully remove Accutriger .
C: toss Accutrigger in trash can and install a Timney or if you can find one, Canjar!
Cat
Old 01-17-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There should have been a little adjustment tool with a yellow endvtgatvuscysed to adjust that spring .
Is
C: toss Accutrigger in trash can and install a Timney or if you can find one, Canjar!
Cat
After seeing how that piece of crap is put together I must say that I agree with you.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:16 PM

I would much prefer if they went back to the original design .
But a Timney or a Sharp Dhooter is easy to install .
Cat
Old 01-17-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Before that I could pull the trigger safety on or off. .
That is heart attack scary.

Although I don't own a Savage, The exact reason I rarely chamber a round until I'm set up, or ready to shoot.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That is heart attack scary.

Although I don't own a Savage, The exact reason I rarely chamber a round until I'm set up, or ready to shoot.
I believe the OP is talking about the centre part of the trigger , which needs to be depressed before the main shoe, not the safety itself.
These things are nothing more than a fancy two stage trigger IMO and not a good example of a proper two stage trigger .
Cat
Old 01-18-2020, 09:25 AM
Shooting Xs

On the Accutrigger that rear spring is your trigger weight adjustment screw,you should have got a little tool for doing that adjustment,a small screw driver works also.
That screw in front of the weight adj. screw is to adjust the spring tension on the tang safety.You adjusted the correct one as you found out.
The secondary sear safety(blade on the trigger shoe)doesn't or shouldn't require any adjustment.The small spring mounted on the rear of the blade is for return to position after firing.It's only function is to block sear release to prevent accidental discharge.It does not affect pull weight ,over travel or creep.

It's a design that other rifle companies have copied since it's release.It does take a bit of getting used to ,some never do,for them after market is an option.It's a Lawyer'd up trigger,what can you say.
Over all though,I think it's a pretty good design for most users,but it's not a Canjar,Jewell or Timney.For the price of an Axis you can't expect that either.
The factory tends to leave quite a bit of grease where the sear engages,good idea to take a tooth brush or similar and clean those surfaces of excess lube.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Is
Cat
I like my Accu trigger. Mechanically, doesn't look easily to replace.

Grizz
Old 01-18-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I like my Accu trigger. Mechanically, doesn't look easily to replace.

Grizz
Very easy to replace, Timney and Rifle Basix make aftermarket triggers, and it’s no major feat to change them out.

https://timneytriggers.com/savage-accutrigger/

https://riflebasix.com/product/savag...trigger-sav-1/

And the AccuTrigger is pure garbage IMO.
To that end if a person thinks the AccuTrigger is all that and a cup of tea, they must be a neophyte, or something.......else......

There are no absolutes
Old 01-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Shooting Xs

Yup,they are easy to replace,I bet even a neophyte could do as long as they could follow instructions.
If though,the person was an actual neophyte,how would he have the knowledge to know the difference whether it was pure garbage or not?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Very easy to replace, Timney and Rifle Basix make aftermarket triggers, and it’s no major feat to change them out.

https://timneytriggers.com/savage-accutrigger/

https://riflebasix.com/product/savag...trigger-sav-1/

And the AccuTrigger is pure garbage IMO.
To that end if a person thinks the AccuTrigger is all that and a cup of tea, they must be a neophyte, or something.......else......
Put a couple of wolves and some other game in the bag with it.

Grizz