Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Default What are your thoughts on the 6.5 PRC?

Just looking for peoples thoughts on the newish 6.5 PRC as a hunting cartridge, from the experts and those that may have one?
Old 02-05-2020, 02:55 PM

My nephew had one built by KS Arms last year. Seems fairly easy to load for and is shooting LRAB’s into 1/2” groups. Recoil is mild and has velocities a little better than my 6.5-284
Old 02-05-2020, 03:54 PM

Thanks, That is bang on what I have been reading. Presently have two Tikka 6.5 x 55's but thinking I would like to sell one and try a 6.5 PRC. Just hoping it catches on and gets a little more popular like the 6.5 Creedmore so that ammo & brass become more readily available and reasonably priced. Already got a rifle picked out (Sauer 100 Cerakote) if and when the time comes.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:07 PM

I shot a 6.5WSM for more than a few years, and had several built around the Winchester single shot action.
The velocities the PRC generates are comparable that Old badger and I were getting with our 6.5WSM's using 140 grain match Kings, Lapua Scenars and 140 Barnes bullets.
being a 6.5 bullet , the accuracy will be exceptional and flat as long as the barrel is a good one.
I killed several deer with my rifle that had the 28" barrel on it, some at distances beyond "normal"
if I were looking for a hunting 6.5 I would be really tempted to get one as I cannot find a downside to a cartridge where factory brass is available, especially a 6.5
Cat
Old 02-05-2020, 09:14 PM

Default 6.5

And now we have the new Weatherby 6.5RPM that sounds interesting as well.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:17 PM

Realistically there is only a couple hundred FPS difference between a 6.5 PRC and 6.5x55. IMO if it were my money I would wanting something with a wider margin, 264 win mag, 26 Nos, or the ultimate 6.5-300wby.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:25 PM

I own one on a tactical platform and it’s been wicked. The first thing I noticed was that factory ammo availability can be a little scarce, brass even more so, but it’s out there. It must be easy to load for cause with what little load data there is available and me being new to reloading I still have that sucker shooting hole on hole with 143 ELD-X and 55g of H1000. Recoil is manageable... less than the last 7mag I shot but more than my 257 Weatherby.

I’d definitely buy another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Realistically there is only a couple hundred FPS difference between a 6.5 PRC and 6.5x55. IMO if it were my money I would wanting something with a wider margin, 264 win mag, 26 Nos, or the ultimate 6.5-300wby.
I think it comes down to efficiency. A lot of these new cartridges (PRC's the 28nosler) are using neck angles, neck length and powder capacity combined to achieve higher velocities. Compared to the old adage of bigger case=more powder=more velocity. When you compare the 6.5's. CM, PRC and the swede they're all mild recoiling, easy to load for and accurate. So if you can squeeze a little more speed out of one and still maintain all of the above qualities I find it very appealing. I know of one member pushing 156gr berger out of his factory 6.5prc, accurately over 3000fps. Compare that bullet in the CM and swede, and it becomes a little more then "a couple hundred fps difference". I find that very fascinating when you put all 3 cases side by side. Not much overall size difference. I cant speak for the 26nos, 264win or the 6.5x300wby as I have never reloaded for them.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:13 AM

Im having one built and will be ready in the spring.
From what I have read and seen its are a great caliber.
Depending on who your talking to and their opinions will vary on what animals can be taken, I believe that it will do just fine on any big animal in this province

I will be using mine for deer and elk in the fall