Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Trail Cam Pics

Hello this is my first post. I got a trail camera as an early christmas present in november. I set it up on a heavily used game trail and got nothing but 1500 pics of nothing. It is a Moultrie camera. Any tips to see some deer. Also if you have any pics i would like to see them. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 PM

How thick of a tree is it on? Make sure it is on a tree that is thicker than 8inches. Also mabey the settings on the camera?.?.

Welcome to the board!!

Bassett...

Last edited by Bassett; 12-29-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allroundhunter View Post
Hello this is my first post. I got a trail camera as an early christmas present in november. I set it up on a heavily used game trail and got nothing but 1500 pics of nothing. It is a Moultrie camera. Any tips to see some deer. Also if you have any pics i would like to see them. Thanks.
What direction are you facing it? Facing it East or West will cause it to take pictures when the sunrise/sunset is happening.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=allroundhunter;235902] It is a Moultrie camera. [QUOTE]

Thats the majority of the problem right there

I've tried them and I've had nothing but trouble. Then I moved to a Bushnell and hated it too. This year I bought a "Wildview" and its been awesome.

As mentioned, for the best results, try to point it as much North or south as you can (this time of year, north is better because the sun is in the south). The bigger the tree the better, and you have to play with your distance and height from the expected route of travel to get the best results. What I do, is take my digital camera with me, hang my trail cam, walk by a few times to trip it, then pull the card, put it in my dig. cam and look at my results, adjusting as necessary. Saves alot of dickin around down the line.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 AM

ARH
Welcome to the board!
Sorry I can't help you with your camera and I'm not here to steal your thread, just one question for Welder.
I heard the wildview cameras have a poor battery life and a slow trigger response...?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM

I put out my warning about these units a year ago. Too bad you must have missed the memo. Because of my experience I make my own like Treebark does and I have great pictures. You can do a search on some of my past posts to see them. It is fun to make your own cameras and it costs less for a very good product. I suggest spend some decent amount of money like over $300 for a storebought or build your own.
If you need suggestions on what to buy and check some of them out then here is a good place to check out and it will give you what you need. If you want to build your own then there are a few awesome websites to check out but I have posted them many times before and don't feel like it today again for the thousanth time.
Good luck
http://www.chasingame.com/forum/index.php
Old 12-29-2008, 01:26 PM

I have 4 Moultrie cameras that work very well for me. I've got hundreds of great pictures from them!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. It is on a big tree the straps barly fit around and it is 90 degrees to the game trail. I will change the direction and see how it does. That is a good idea to take the card out and check it in the digital camera. Do any of you guys have pics of deer even does.Thanks
Old 12-29-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allroundhunter View Post
Thanks for the replies. It is on a big tree the straps barly fit around and it is 90 degrees to the game trail. I will change the direction and see how it does. That is a good idea to take the card out and check it in the digital camera. Do any of you guys have pics of deer even does.Thanks
I have 2 moultrie camera's and they work fine aswell. The only thing i would change is don't put the camera at 90o but rather place it so it looks at an angle down the trail...This way the deer stays in the camera's field of view longer...And you can get a couple pic as it is walking towards you...I put mine out the other day on a trail leading to an alfalfa field and got 350 pict in 24 hours..

Also I've been told the more pic that are on your card the slower it responds..
If you card gets too many pics on it they say it won't wake up in time..

Good luck
Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 PM

good thinking i will try that also. Wow nube i was looking at your game camera pics and was wondering if you need a hunting partner. lol
Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
ARH
Welcome to the board!
Sorry I can't help you with your camera and I'm not here to steal your thread, just one question for Welder.
I heard the wildview cameras have a poor battery life and a slow trigger response...?
I run my Wildview primarily off the C cell batteries inside the camera. Through the last 2 weeks of sept., all of Oct. and all of Nov. I had it out there 24/7 and heres what I came up with for battery life stats.

5 degrees C and warmer I got just under 1000 pics and 7-9 days average.
-5 to +5 I got just over 600 pics and 6-8 days average
-5 and colder i got just under 400 pics and about 5 days average.

At the end of November I bought the 12v aux. battery that plugs into the unit. I plugged it in Nov.30 at about 6pm, and I've switched the card out 3 times since, the batt. is still going.

As for trigger speed, it is a bit slow. If a deer is walking steady and walks past the cam (when the cam is 90 degrees to the trail) I get 6 pics of nothing... sometimes an arse in the first pic. By simply aiming it a bit more down the trail I fixed this problem.

My next one is going to be a Cuddeback, or maybe a predator. The Cuddes look like they have one hell of a trigger speed, 0.02 seconds or something along those lines. At the same time, I had to weigh the cost of the Wildview VS. the cost of a Cudde or Predator. For less than $150, I love my Wildview, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot happier with a Cudde....
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Banned

If your Moultrie is giving you 1500 pics of nothing, its happening for a reason.

Either:

A) The trigger speed is way too slow (which Moultries are famous for)

2) The camera is too close to the trail

D) You've got it set in front of something that blows around in the wind easily

5) You've got some serious bird activity on your trail. We get this problem on our bear baits in the spring. Damn birds fill up the card before we get any good pics of our bears. Our new 4MB cards should fix that this year.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 PM

Welder, is this the one your looking at?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Banned

I havn't done my homework on Cuddes yet, just seen their commercials on WildTV and heard some real good things from my buddies so far. After I'm finished paying for Christmas its my next move

Tags
camera, deer, pics, trai