Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 06:14 PM

Default Is this really tuned.....

Got my bow back form the shop last week. Not going to mention names cause not trying to shame a shop. But here is a picture of the bow they sent back. Is this a tuned bow.....I mentioned to them that the bow might need to be shimmed from what I saw in my paper tunning, and they said probably not. So instead of shimming the cams they just adjusted the rest way the heck over to get it to paper tune correct. Is it just me or is this not right? Also, I measured my brace height and ATA before dropping it off, both of which were slightly off. When I remeasured after getting the bow back they were still off. I mean they must have done something because the bow is shooting a bit better. But still. To me, the arrow being that far off from the center is not a tuned bow. Is this just me? Also, I am currently trying to broadhead tune, and everything is grouping well out to 30 yards. Then at 40 yards, the broadhead is flying to the left and field point dropping way low. I could consistently achieve tight groups to 50 yards with field points so I don't think it's my shooting technique to much. I'm thinking that it won't broadhead group tune past 30 yards because the bow remains unproperly tuned even after going to a shop. Now considering dropping off to a different bow shop to see if they can properly tune the bow.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:28 AM

Your center shot is way off, you need to have the string behind the arrow. What’s your DL, bow weight (poundage), arrow spine, and point weight.

Looks like they were compensating for something in your setup that is not compatible with the rest of the components.

Center shot should NEVER be that far out in a properly “tuned” bow.

LC
Old 08-07-2020, 09:25 AM

Agree with Lefty. There's a laser alignment tool you can use to adjust your center shot and check for cam lean etc. - but honestly, a trained eye can pick up those discrepancies fairly readily for a rough tune.

You should send that photo to the shop and get their take on it. Any tech worth their salt will want to make it right.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Your center shot is way off, you need to have the string behind the arrow. What’s your DL, bow weight (poundage), arrow spine, and point weight.

Looks like they were compensating for something in your setup that is not compatible with the rest of the components.

Center shot should NEVER be that far out in a properly “tuned” bow.

LC
That's what i figured. And why i was pretty disappointed to get it back looking like that. Im shooting a PSE xpedite, 30" draw, 60lbs, 300 spine, 125 point with a 95grain insert. I believe the bow is a bit over spined, but alot of people recommend with a speed bow to go a bit stiffer spine then you would normally. Also i was hopping the 125grain point would help compensate for it
Old 08-07-2020, 11:39 AM

You could be under spined with a 125 and a 95 gr insert. 30” draw but you are at 60lbs. Over 200gr of point weight at 30” has an effect.

Regardless, your bow isn’t tuned

LC
Old 08-07-2020, 01:23 PM

It is the Evolve cam system so I betting that the shop adjusted the rest until they got a bullet hole thru paper at a fixed distance and went no further. What needs to happen to properly tune an Evolve is to set center shot at 13/16, level nock height with the bottom of the arrow splitting the berger hole and then shim the cams to correct any left/right tears. I owned and tuned 4 different Evolve cam bows and 3 out of the 4 needed to be shimmed.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You could be under spined with a 125 and a 95 gr insert. 30” draw but you are at 60lbs. Over 200gr of point weight at 30” has an effect. LC
No lefty it doesn’t. I’ve been shooting 200+ grain point weight at 30” from a couple of dozen bows at 70 and 80lbs for a long time and never needed more then a 280 spine. When I set up for water buff I ran 350 grains off the front of a .250 spine fmj but that was the stiffest arrow I’ve ever shot and it tuned perfectly off an 80lb speed bow. Usually I shoot a .300 spine and back around 2007-8 I was shooting bowtechs, hoyts and elites with a .340 spine gold tip, 200 grains up front, bare shaft tuned to 70m. I’ve shot to many thousands of arrows with plenty of weight up front to buy the opinion that point weight significantly effects carbon arrow spine being shot off centre shot bows... because it doesn’t. Trad bows, yes. Shooting off a flipper rest like we did in the 80’s and early 90’s, yea a bit. Modern compounds... nope and the charts and BS on the web is simply a hangover from times gone by with people repeating what they’ve read and heard instead of going out and doing it.

I am curious though how you worked out the magical 30” length where everything changes?

At 60lbs and .300 spine your well and truly over spined but it won’t likely impede your ability to tune it. I don’t shoot PSE so I’m not going to tell you how I would tune your bow but your certainly far from underspined and your centre shot is off.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:16 PM

Just going off of memory but I need to know the arrow and arrow length etc...

You could very well be right but the 200gr+ point weight does effect the spine. I would have to see how it all flies through paper to see what the dynamic spine is actually doing personally... I have never shot 200gr point weight but it does break down the spine especially with a longer arrow.

Like I said regardless, it’s doesn’t look properly tuned. Center shot is way off... if you have to adjust it like that to shoot bullet holes something else is off.

I was slightly under spined with a 340, 71lbs, 29” draw (27.75” arrow) so I went to a 300 spine myself.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-07-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:07 PM

Where are you located? I am headed hunting hogs in Sask on the 17th, but will be back the next weekend. If you are in the Edmonton area you are welcome to pop by and we will get you sorted out.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:37 PM

I’ve got something like that in my bow.

I’m almost at an inch of centre shot. I think I’m overspined so I order some ethics inserts to up the insert weight.

Arrows fly good out to 40yds with a field point, I haven’t shot a broadhead yet out of it.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:17 PM

Default Is this really tuned.....

I am not super technical on bow setup, so this question may be stupid.

What are you using for an arrow rest?

If it’s a whisker biscuit, you may be able to move it to the right and it looks like you still have lots of adjustment room left on the sight.

Not sure how they could get it to paper tune looking like that, maybe a screw is not tight on the rest and it’s moved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk