Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2020, 09:48 AM

Default What is going on with the fish!

hey all!
Im very new here and this is my first post.

just wondering if anyone else is having this issue, i have been to Star lake , carson pegasus, salters lake , wildhorse lake , spring lake , east pit , muir lake. AND I CANT CATCH ANY TROUT !! i have tried spinners , lures , pickerel rigs , bobbers , fly fishing , just a weight and single hook fishing from the bottom. i have used worms , fake worms , power bait , scents and out of trying all those at diffeernt times of days at all those lakes only my daughter caught two fish at wildhorse lake. i seen alot of other people struggling. this has been since about beginning of august maybe a week before august till now.
Its just driving me crazy.

Last edited by Blas; 08-15-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:53 AM

What part of the lakes are you fishing?
Old 08-15-2020, 09:57 AM

all of it , i have a canoe , so i set anchor and try multiple spots , i have fished deep and shallow , heck some of them are even jumping and im not getting them on the fly rod , i have tried boatman , shrimp , leech, muddswimmer , caddis fly ect
Old 08-15-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
all of it , i have a canoe , so i set anchor and try multiple spots , i have fished deep and shallow , heck some of them are even jumping and im not getting them on the fly rod , i have tried boatman , shrimp , leech, muddswimmer , caddis fly ect
hrmmm I blame it on the warm water haha "fish are lethargic right now"
I target pike and walleye at this time and back to to pond trout in fall.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-15-2020, 10:10 AM

Thats kinda what i was thinking and why i wanted ot see if it slowed down for alot of people as well ? not to go off topic but do you have any decent areas to fish where you can keep one walleye ? close-ish to stony plain area
Old 08-15-2020, 10:41 AM

only place i know of that doesnt require tags in our area is calling lake, sylvan lake and gull lake. I am not certain only because I mostly catch and release.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-15-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Thats kinda what i was thinking and why i wanted ot see if it slowed down for alot of people as well ? not to go off topic but do you have any decent areas to fish where you can keep one walleye ? close-ish to stony plain area
Not trying to be a jerk but majority won’t advertise catch and keep locations but if you check the regs and start trying your options you will find there is some reasonable c&k if you put in the effort. Pick the spots you don’t hear about everyone fishing is my advice

Sylvan is a new well known option if you’re willing to drive. Gull is another new option

Unfortunately advertising C&K spots ends up with everyone and their dog heading there for dinner and it seems some people don’t understand moderation.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Not trying to be a jerk but majority won’t advertise catch and keep locations but if you check the regs and start trying your options you will find there is some reasonable c&k if you put in the effort. Pick the spots you don’t hear about everyone fishing is my advice

Sylvan is a new well known option if you’re willing to drive. Gull is another new option

Unfortunately advertising C&K spots ends up with everyone and their dog heading there for dinner and it seems some people don’t understand moderation.
makes sense i guess , i have been fishing mainly trout lakes for the past 15 years , i really want to step up my game and try walleye ( never eaten it ) and really want to try and catch some burbot ( also never eaten it ) guess i need to find some fishing buddies lol
Old 08-15-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
makes sense i guess , i have been fishing mainly trout lakes for the past 15 years , i really want to step up my game and try walleye ( never eaten it ) and really want to try and catch some burbot ( also never eaten it ) guess i need to find some fishing buddies lol
Check your river options for walleye

Most target burbot ice fishing and most lakes and rivers have them

Pike are more fun and taste better when I choose to keep fish in my opinion

Honestly go explore and you will find better options then people are willing to give up in most cases
Old 08-15-2020, 11:40 AM

If you ever get out to Gull lookin for Walleye, PM me and I can give you some spots, and info.

We were hammering the walleye, but now last week the pike have been unreal.

Big thick, healthy pike, no skinny hammer handles!!

Good to see.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:01 PM

Try going with smaller hooks and lighter line, try and get your bait presentation as natural as possible.
For lures try changing colours, different colours work better at certain depths. Vary your retrieve speed.
Maybe take some time out just looking for fish without casting a line, see if you can find out what they are feeding on, where they feed and when
Hope that helps
Old 08-15-2020, 06:30 PM

Try Velveeta cheese !!! No kidding And don't let your bat sink into the soft mud in most trout lakes around here
Old 08-16-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
If you ever get out to Gull lookin for Walleye, PM me and I can give you some spots, and info.

Good to see.
How are the water conditions right now as far as algae goes? Thinking of heading out there this week.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:54 AM

Blas,
have you been using mosquito dope when going trout fishing??Perhaps putting it on first thing and then tying up or baiting a hook??
Old 08-16-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.Desl View Post
Try going with smaller hooks and lighter line, try and get your bait presentation as natural as possible.
For lures try changing colours, different colours work better at certain depths. Vary your retrieve speed.
Maybe take some time out just looking for fish without casting a line, see if you can find out what they are feeding on, where they feed and when
Hope that helps
Yeah i have been studying the water and insects i have tried every color and different depths , when i have had any luck or bites its always been deep , i usually try and keep the bait about 2 feet or so off the bottom, thank you for the tips i appreciate it
Old 08-16-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
How are the water conditions right now as far as algae goes? Thinking of heading out there this week.
No Algea as far as I know/heard

There was a fecal alert weeks ago, but it's been lifted I think awhile back

Was for south end of the lake at the PP beach

Good luck if ya go!!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
No Algea as far as I know/heard

There was a fecal alert weeks ago, but it's been lifted I think awhile back

Was for south end of the lake at the PP beach

Good luck if ya go!!
Thanks!
Old 08-16-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You may be fishing deep but are you getting your flies down deep? There is always some jumpers but unless there is a great hatch of some sort going on the majority of the fish will be deep. What are you using for fly line?

Quote:

South buck is just over an hour from you and you can keep a walleye. Going to be looking a bit gross this time of year with the algae but the walleye are plentiful.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Good to see.
That is good to see! Good news for sure. Thanks for the update.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
hey all!

just wondering if anyone else is having this issue, i have been to Star lake , carson pegasus, salters lake , wildhorse lake , spring lake , east pit , muir lake. AND I CANT CATCH ANY TROUT !! i have tried spinners , lures , pickerel rigs , bobbers , fly fishing , just a weight and single hook fishing from the bottom. i have used worms , fake worms , power bait , scents and out of trying all those at diffeernt times of days at all those lakes only my daughter caught two fish at wildhorse lake. i seen alot of other people struggling. this has been since about beginning of august maybe a week before august till now.
Nothing going on that isnt normal for this time of year on ponds which i fish often,but i dont usually in summer months. Spring and fall is pond time at least for me. Generally if guys using worms at ponds arent catching no one is,and their not catching right now either. Ok the crazy rain and now heat isnt helping any either.

Last edited by cranky; 08-17-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
hey all!

Here is your answer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05759713-47B5-4E8A-8915-6C0269F3D49F.jpg (20.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 08-18-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Here is your answer
Now that's funny!! LOL!!
Old 08-18-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
only place i know of that doesnt require tags in our area is calling lake, sylvan lake and gull lake. I am not certain only because I mostly catch and release.
Calling has a 1 walleye take home limit with a slot of 45 to 55 cm's

Island Lake opened up a 1 walleye take home this year with a slot of 45 - 50 cm's (confirm that on the regs). Been meaning to head out to Island but I know where to find em on Calling so I've been going there exclusively.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***