Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2020, 01:36 PM

Default Ok you Kayak people enlighten me

More and more I find myself leaning towards buying a kayak for fishing and duck hunting now the wife is even interested.

How are the pedal drives with weeds and is there downsides to them?

What brands make a good quality kayak that won’t break the bank?Not thinking cheap but 5k on a Hobie is beyond what I want to spend

Like the the idea of a smaller kayak but what is realistic for someone 6”2 220lbs?

Any valuable information you can add would be great
Old 08-15-2020, 02:01 PM

Weeds are not a big issue with Hobie fin style, they slow you down a bit and if too thick you might have to remove fins and untangle but most of the time you can power through it and they will clear themselves. If really thick weeds you just push fins up (one foot forward) and paddle across.

Weeds are brutal with propeller style, they get wrapped around propeller and you have to stop to clean them regularly.

I would never use a paddle kayak again now that I have a Hobie. Yes the cost is high especially with our weak dollar but they are hard to beat as a solo manpowered craft. Try to find a used one if you can.

6'2 220 is a fair size so you definitely want a decent sized kayak. Don't even consider anything under 12 ft in length. When talking about Hobie models you would probably want to look at Outback although the Compass is decent and the new Passport 12 looks like it would be good too but I haven't seen that much about it.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the input

Is there other brands you would recommend? The Hobies definitely look like a great option but unless I can get lucky and find 2 good used ones it will be an expensive introduction for us
Old 08-15-2020, 02:18 PM

one option that make it easy is the wilderness system Radar. You can but the kayak first and then add the pedal drive on after.

Jackson kayak also make fantastic kayaks but you have to buy both in one pop which many dont like. A jackson coosa pedal drive will run you about 3800+gst. (smaller short models around 2800)

oldtown kayaks is also a great brand but i believe you have to buy both together in one shot. but they are fairly priced and built quite well. The pedal drives they offer range from 2600 for a smaller one and can go upwards to 3200

Stringtheoryangling can help you with a discount code for aquabatics edmonton or oldtown canoes since he is an ambassador for both these companies.

The pedal drive i'm using is one of the cheapest budget pedal drives you can buy and its the perception pescador pilot 12. Its not the most stable or the fastest. Doesn't have the best dry storage or compartments but its works and its still fun. I believe they are around 2500+gst

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-15-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
one option that make it easy is the wilderness system Radar. You can but the kayak first and then add the pedal drive on after.

Jackson kayak also make fantastic kayaks but you have to buy both in one pop which many dont like. A jackson coosa pedal drive will run you about 3800+gst. (smaller short models around 2800)

oldtown kayaks is also a great brand but i believe you have to buy both together in one shot. but they are fairly priced and built quite well. The pedal drives they offer range from 2600 for a smaller one and can go upwards to 3200

Stringtheoryangling can help you with a discount code for aquabatics edmonton or oldtown canoes since he is an ambassador for both these companies.

The pedal drive i'm using is one of the cheapest budget pedal drives you can buy and its the perception pescador pilot 12. Its not the most stable or the fastest. Doesn't have the best dry storage or compartments but its works and its still fun. I believe they are around 2500+gst
How often do you find yourself cleaning weeds out of your prop?

I can see from you videos you fish similar waters

RavYak I looked up the Hobie models you mentioned quickly they are definitely more in the price range
Old 08-15-2020, 02:30 PM

When i'm drifting in the real tight areas with tons of weeds i'll get tangled up very fast.so its best to lift the prop up and paddle around these areas. Once I hit open water I'll drop the prop down. Since I have a Cheaper pedal drive it does become a bit of a pain in the butt. cant really complain when i'm using a budget pedal drive. (takes 30 seconds)

If you had a Jackson kayak the proper can be lowered and raised with one finger in just a half a second. This will be my next kayak. (takes zero effort)

Respect wildlife
Old 08-15-2020, 04:18 PM

Looks like it’s not too easy to buy a pedal kayak right now aquabaticts is basically sold out till March for both locations

Might need to start seeing what is even available and how much of a pain it is going to be to find something suitable. Kayak for duck hunting may not be an option this fall
Old 08-15-2020, 04:20 PM

Hrmm I thought they still had a jackson coosa FD in the showroom last week.

Respect wildlife
Old 08-15-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Hrmm I thought they still had a jackson coosa FD in the showroom last week.
That is the only one they have likely

Kinda need 2 and the costa is one I would need to look into more for starters
Old 08-15-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Looks like it’s not too easy to buy a pedal kayak right now aquabaticts is basically sold out till March for both locations
Yup and Glenmore closed their Edmonton branch so have to go to Calgary for Hobie now. Not sure what they would have in stock right now.

You don't need matching kayaks, your wife may well prefer a faster easier paddling/pedaling option if she isn't as focused on fishing/hunting and if she is smaller. For Hobie something like a Revolution might be more her style.

I would like to have a Revolution cause they are effortless to pedal, I need the extra space of Outback for the multitude of gear I usually take with me though.

Edit: The Coosa FD is Jackson's propeller drive kayak. It is decent but really heavy and a bit slow compared to other options.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Yup and Glenmore closed their Edmonton branch so have to go to Calgary for Hobie now. Not sure what they would have in stock right now.

You don't need matching kayaks, your wife may well prefer a faster easier paddling/pedaling option if she isn't as focused on fishing/hunting and if she is smaller. For Hobie something like a Revolution might be more her style.

I would like to have a Revolution cause they are effortless to pedal, I need the extra space of Outback for the multitude of gear I usually take with me though.

Edit: The Coosa FD is Jackson's propeller drive kayak. It is decent but really heavy and a bit slow compared to other options.
Not thinking we need matching kayaks as she is smaller but fishing and pedal drive are her interests so similar style.

I will have to give Calgary a call to see what is available. Worst case I look out of province or wait or keep an eye out for a used kayak

The Coosa doesn’t seem to fit what I am looking for and for the cost I would be better off waiting for something else. Weight, comfort, reliability and cost are more of a factor for me at this time
Old 08-15-2020, 07:15 PM

Grizzly Ridge Honda in Slave Lake also sells Hobie kayaks,
Not sure what their stock is currently like right now.
May be your best bet as they don’t sell a ton of them.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:02 PM

What do you mean "you kayak people"?
Old 08-15-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Uh ohhh "you people"

Haha 😂

Respect wildlife
Old 08-15-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Don’t go starting a Kayak people matter movement over it now lol

Mumbles thanks for the tip as well
Old 08-15-2020, 11:10 PM

Following
Old 08-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Do to limited availability we have decided to hold off till spring and do some research so we get kayaks we are happy with

Still very interested with input from those with experience with kayaks and suggestions on models
Old 08-16-2020, 05:23 PM

If a pedal kayak is out of your budget consider the Wilderness Pungo. They have a large open cockpit, comfortable and highly adjustable seat, wide and stable, larger capacity for bigger paddlers. You can get a 3/4 spray deck to stay warmer and drier during late fall hunts.

We have the 140's with the front and rear bulkheads and they track straight but don't turn as well as the 120 or smaller models which only have a rear bulkhead. I fish from mine all the time and have lots of room for tackle and gear. I haven't yet but I can imagine myself duck hunting from one of these.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:45 PM

It will be two pedal kayaks for sure

The wilderness systems kayaks are something I am curious about but would add the pedal drive
Old 08-16-2020, 10:41 PM

The pedal drive from Wilderness is the same one I have in my Perception
pescador.

I'm not sure if lowering and raising the propeller is as annoying as mine.
When my prop gets tangled in weeds, I dip my arm in the water elbow deep just to rip off the weeds.

Not sure if your wife is ok with doing that. Hobie is pretty much weedless and jacksons kayaks atleast raises up in a second within reach so you dont have to get your arm wet.

Respect wildlife
Old 08-16-2020, 10:54 PM

I ran into another real nice man on the water today. He purchased a retirement present for himself. It was a Hobie Mirage i11s inflatable fishing kayak. Super expensive but it seemed like a really neat option. He can stuff it in the back of a small car. Once inflated he attaches the hobie flippers and away he goes. Seemed very convenient.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-i11s/#fishing

Respect wildlife
Old 08-17-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I ran into another real nice man on the water today. He purchased a retirement present for himself. It was a Hobie Mirage i11s inflatable fishing kayak. Super expensive but it seemed like a really neat option. He can stuff it in the back of a small car. Once inflated he attaches the hobie flippers and away he goes. Seemed very convenient.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-i11s/#fishing
I had one and they are pretty neat but I would only buy one if I didn't have storage or capability of transporting a hard shell kayak. The lack of storage space, poor ability to mount fish finder and having to pump up/deflate each trip are the downsides.

Outback, Revo 13, Compass and Passport 12 are the models I would be looking at. Maybe a Pro Angler if you see a good deal on a used one.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:38 AM

Huyfishing the issue of clearing weeds and accessing the drive is something I was thinking about yesterday. I think this issue alone is making me lean towards Jackson and Hobie. Their systems seem more user friendly with this issue and I think the wife might struggle with the other systems

Inflatables are out I am way to rough to own something like that

RavYak The compass has my interest for myself and the more research I do it’s hard to find negatives on the Hobie Kayaks. Only small downside is the colour selection when it comes to waterfowl hunting. Might get stuck paying extra for camo over this
Old 08-17-2020, 07:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yup.....I feel a bit pushed in a corner.....no....no....please don't put the cone hat on me

Smokey if you don't get what you need like I mentioned to keep your waterfowl season afloat you can have the use of my canoe.....most prefer a canoe just for all the crap you can throw in them but I do like the yaks....had another 4hrs in mine yesterday....

Oh. It do t stop doing my research on yaks....might upgrade next year.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 08-17-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup.....I feel a bit pushed in a corner.....no....no....please don't put the cone hat on me

Smokey if you don't get what you need like I mentioned to keep your waterfowl season afloat you can have the use of my canoe.....most prefer a canoe just for all the crap you can throw in them but I do like the yaks....had another 4hrs in mine yesterday....
Buddy is delivering a 12ft sportsapal beat on canoe I found for sale yesterday. It’s not pretty but it’s cheap and I won’t be afraid to abuse it

I would still want to take a kayak duck hunting just because I can lol
Old 08-17-2020, 09:23 AM

Some great advice here. Not much that I can add as we are still in the "cheap" sit-ins. I am extremely happy with them for fishing, but for hunting I would think a sit on top would be better.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:43 PM

I feel the need to chime in here since I'm one of "you people"!

I agree with a lot of what RavYak (Hey man!) opened up with, he has a ton of experience out of kayaks. I dont have any experience with the fin style drives but the prop drives in weeds are brutal. I actively watch for weeds and steer around them even though the Old Town PDL drive is really simple to lift up and clean.

I think it would be helpful to narrow down the kayak field a bit. There are just too many choices and you can end up with a bit of FOMO.

What type of fishing are you primarily interested in doing? Small ponds or big lakes? The distance you cover in a day should play a factor, a longer/narrower boat will be faster but a shorter wider boat will still get you there and will likely be more stable.

If you're never fishing and hunting alone a canoe might be a better option too, you can alternate between paddling and shooting for example. Also, if you're carrying a lot of decoys the capacity of a canoe is huge.

Do you think being able to stand up and move around would be helpful? That would be a deciding factor in the width. Wider is more stable but also can be slower to paddle/pedal. The width of a narrow fishing kayak (29") and a wide fishing kayak (36"+) doesnt seem like much on paper but its huge in stability.

Will you be getting in and out a lot in the water? To set decoys or retrieve a downed bird? A sit on top kayak is self draining so no need to bail it out. Also a shallower sit on top would be much easier to get in and out of.

I'm also 220 lbs and I agree a 12'+ kayak is what you would be looking for. The longer the better IMO. Longer length usually makes the kayak more efficient and track better in the water.

Whether it's a fin drive or a prop drive, the hands free nature of the pedal drives is hard to beat for fishing. I'm not sure how critical that would be when hunting but I'll let you know this fall when I try it out. But I will say, I find I can spend a lot more time in a pedal drive without getting worn out. This weekend, my friend and I took a road trip and hit 5 lakes in three days. With 6 hrs of sleep each night and over 12 hrs a day on the water we went hard. Now I'm not in great shape but today I feel like I could do it all again.

Last week I was reminded that the right paddle kayak can be just as fast as a pedal kayak. Six of us had a friendly race back to the launch (about 600 yards) and although we left most of them in the dust I was pleasantly surprised to see the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 keeping pace with my Bigwater 132 PDL.

For what its worth, this spring, I had my pick of Old Towns litter and I chose the Bigwater PDL. (The Predator PDL is the same boat with a different paint job). I found it to be the best mix of length, width, speed, stability and features for the lakes around Alberta (from Slave to Muir) and the things I like to do. Which is put on a lot of miles and spend +8 hrs a day in the seat fishing.

There is no one size fits all, and although I chose the Bigwater PDL as my one do-all boat, for shallow rivers and weedy lakes there's no beating a paddle kayak. If I was interesting in primarily hunting fowl as well as a bit of fishing I'd skip the pedal drive and take a serious look at the Sportsman Discovery Solo 119 or the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 (it comes in goofy colors now but older ones used to come in camo).

https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors...tsman?id=22411

If you're hard up for a kayak now, Ocean Sports may still have some NuCanoe Frontiers: https://oceansports.ca/collections/f...-12-kayak-with You can even buy a duck blind and fit it with a small outboard or electric trolling motor! Neat!

As HuyFishin mentioned, there is a 10% discount code for Aquabatics on my website. Also, Aquabatics is running a promotion this year with Old Town, if you order your boat through AQ now you're entered to win your purchase. This is only through Aquabatics, not nationally or anything, so I'd say your chances are pretty good.

Whew, that was waaayyy longer than I anticipated! Any questions? I hope this is helpful and I'm not just ranting about kayaks like one of those people...

Last edited by StringTheory; 08-17-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the write up string theory

Primary use will be fishing and this includes larger lakes. Distance I don’t want to be limited because I want to go we’re I need to to catch fish. Hunting is secondary use for the kayak. We are both looking for a kayak for fishing as a priority not random recreation

Comfort, stability(big priority for the wife), reliability, fishing( mainly pike west of Edmonton),pedal drive( wife is smaller so easy for her to clear weeds on the water). And sit on style

We have decided to do our research so we start with a good fit and purchase for spring

Do you know the weight of the PDL drive?
Old 08-17-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Thanks for the write up string theory

Primary use will be fishing and this includes larger lakes. Distance I don’t want to be limited because I want to go we’re I need to to catch fish. Hunting is secondary use for the kayak. We are both looking for a kayak for fishing as a priority not random recreation

Comfort, stability(big priority for the wife), reliability, fishing( mainly pike west of Edmonton),pedal drive( wife is smaller so easy for her to clear weeds on the water). And sit on style

We have decided to do our research so we start with a good fit and purchase for spring

Do you know the weight of the PDL drive?
Well I'd say you already have a pretty good idea of what you're after. Based on your specs the Old Town Sportsman series would be good, WS Radar is a solid choice too. Hobie Passport is good as well. Jackson Bite FD is turning out to be really popular this year too. Pelican also makes a Catch Hydrive with the fin style drive but at a cheaper price. The Pelican drive is not as refined as Hobie but they were going for low cost.

The Old Town PDL drive weighs around 20 lbs. (19lbs in the Sportsman, 21lbs in the Bigwater due to slightly different storage cubby)
Old 08-17-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Well I'd say you already have a pretty good idea of what you're after. Based on your specs the Old Town Sportsman series would be good, WS Radar is a solid choice too. Hobie Passport is good as well. Jackson Bite FD is turning out to be really popular this year too. Pelican also makes a Catch Hydrive with the fin style drive but at a cheaper price. The Pelican drive is not as refined as Hobie but they were going for low cost.

The Old Town PDL drive weighs around 20 lbs. (19lbs in the Sportsman, 21lbs in the Bigwater due to slightly different storage cubby)
The Jackson bite FD definitely on the short list for the wife because of the ability to access the prop without removing the drive. She also likes the idea of the bicycle style pedal motion over Hobies stepper style motion. With my size and the recommendation of 12ft min I did not consider it for myself

Myself I should have no issues pulling a 20lbs drive on the water if needed. I am honestly having a harder time narrowing it down because I would probably be comfortable in most and just make it work lol

The Aquabatics promotion is that for all brands or just old Town?