Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2020, 12:39 PM

Default Rusty Wood Trading Post

FYI they have hidden 10% fee to cover the failing Canadian dollar tucked in the "News" header as well as a 4% credit card fee. All the while posting lower prices for brass.Surprise /Surprise! Decide how bad you want it.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
FYI they have hidden 10% fee to cover the failing Canadian dollar tucked in the "News" header as well as a 4% credit card fee. All the while posting lower prices for brass.Surprise /Surprise! Decide how bad you want it.

So add 10% to the posted price and see if it still makes sense. Paying by EMT is free, no up charge. For the stuff I bought from them, most you couldn't find anywhere else and even the more common stuff was still a good deal with the 10% added to the price.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:35 PM

Default why

Hide the added 10% put it in plain view is the point.Put the actual price so there are no day to day stock/exchange fluctuations.Would have almost been cheaper to buy 500 rds of .357 loaded and keep the brass than 500 brass.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Hide the added 10% put it in plain view is the point.Put the actual price so there are no day to day stock/exchange fluctuations.Would have almost been cheaper to buy 500 rds of .357 loaded and keep the brass than 500 brass.

Actually, for quite a while now, I have been buying loaded ammo and shooting it to get the brass. My 257 Bee, I can buy Weatherby Select ammo for $48/20, empty brass is $70/20. That ammo also shoots 1/2", so for the amount I shoot the gun it is debatable if it is worth loading for it.

As far as the 10%, they do take it off the price calculator on check out when the Canadian Dollar gets high enough. Small company so changing all the prices back and forth 10% is a lot of work, way simpler to add the surcharge and easier to remove. Most of these small businesses have very unsophisticated websites and often have their wife or kid doing the website administration.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:31 PM

Default Just

Giving others the heads up........I needed the brass so now I have it.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:44 PM

If you can't afford your hobby, don't do it. No need to whine about it.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:49 AM

Default If

You have nothing to contribute be silent and go away.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:30 AM

From the afore mentioned businesses website, front page too.

Seems it’s plenty obvious to me, so what’s your gripe?

There are no absolutes
Old 08-16-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
From the afore mentioned businesses website, front page too.

Seems it’s plenty obvious to me, so what’s your gripe?
Couldn’t they just add the increase to their prices like every other retail establishment?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Couldn’t they just add the increase to their prices like every other retail establishment?
IMO there is a fair bit of merit to this question... not sure why people are jumping on the OP.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I think Dean2, explained that earlier........
Mom and Pop store, and limited or lacking technology type issues.

Just because they choose to approach this a bit differently doesn’t make it a great big faux pas.

They post it larger than life on their site, so really is it all that egregious?

It’s like freight hauling outfits charging a fuel surcharge, which usually isn’t talked about up front, but sure is a line item on the invoice.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-16-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
IMO there is a fair bit of merit to this question... not sure why people are jumping on the OP.
It’s insane. In fact, what they are doing is quite likely illegal.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
It’s insane. In fact, what they are doing is quite likely illegal.
You’re going to have to try and explain your reasoning here, seeing as a business can charge what they feel rather than what a customer wants. It’s how businesses can stay in business, they pass the rising costs onto the consumer.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I think Dean2, explained that earlier........
Mom and Pop store, and limited or lacking technology type issues.

Just because they choose to approach this a bit differently doesn’t make it a great big faux pas.

They post it larger than life on their site, so really is it all that egregious?

It’s like freight hauling outfits charging a fuel surcharge, which usually isn’t talked about up front, but sure is a line item on the invoice.
No it is not like a freight hauling outfit charging a fuel surcharge. It’s like WalMart charging an extra 10% at the till to pay for their freight surcharge. This is retail not freight.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
You’re going to have to try and explain your reasoning here, seeing as a business can charge what they feel rather than what a customer wants. It’s how businesses can stay in business, they pass the rising costs onto the consumer.
No, you can’t. This is almost like a bait and switch. You can’t just price goods how you like. Not in this Country anyway.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
No, you can’t. This is almost like a bait and switch. You can’t just price goods how you like. Not in this Country anyway.
Ha Ha Ha

You obviously never bought gas in Vancouver

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 08-16-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Ha Ha Ha

You obviously never bought gas in Vancouver
So when you pump your gas in Vancouver do they add 10% to the Final price on the pump when you’re done?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 10:48 AM

Chuck, what they are doing is NOT illegal. You may not like it but it is perfectly legal. The amount that shows when you check your cart out is the same charge you pay. They are not adding undisclosed charges to your bill after you complete the purchase. The one thing they are doing, while also no illegal, does violate their card services agreement, is charge an extra 4% for using a credit card. The Visa and MasterCard merchant agreements do not allow this, but that is between the owner and his supplier.

This whole bit seems like a huge distraction. Rusty Wood sells stuff that is hard to get anywhere else and the common stuff is a good price, even after adding the 10%. If you don't like their prices or how they price stuff buy somewhere else. This is still a free country, at least for now. Quit trying to tell business owners how to run their business, that is the crap the NDP thinks is right.

I have done business with Rusty Wood quite a few times. I have always found them very good to deal with and I never paid more than I expected, unlike ordering from Bass Pro out of the States.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:22 AM

The OP has a beef. A darn legitimate one.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 11:35 AM

Yup...it is the MST...the 3rd sale tax on a liter in metro VR
Old 08-16-2020, 12:04 PM

Default Rusty wood

I have known peter for a lot of years. I have shot with him, used his services and bought from him on numerous occasions. I have never known peter to be anything but up front and honest. He runs a two person shop. so if his suppliers or the economy hit him with more expenses why would he not have to pass that on. That is just a fact of business. These people that want something for nothing or a better deal at someone else's expense just **** me off to no end. If you want something and rusty wood has it ...Buy it. Don't like his prices ...don't buy it...it is still your final choice. but winning about it ...really???
so go ahead and start the flames...I have big shoulders
Zeek
Old 08-16-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
I have known peter for a lot of years. I have shot with him, used his services and bought from him on numerous occasions. I have never known peter to be anything but up front and honest. He runs a two person shop. so if his suppliers or the economy hit him with more expenses why would he not have to pass that on. That is just a fact of business. These people that want something for nothing or a better deal at someone else's expense just **** me off to no end. If you want something and rusty wood has it ...Buy it. Don't like his prices ...don't buy it...it is still your final choice. but winning about it ...really???
so go ahead and start flaming...I have big shoulders
Zeek
No one is saying he can’t pass on that cost. No one.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-16-2020, 12:31 PM

Default some people

Just don't get it.The notice for the 10% increase is tucked away in "news" where nobody will see it.Doesn't matter let it go.Now you are informed shoppers.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Just don't get it.The notice for the 10% increase is tucked away in "news" where nobody will see it.Doesn't matter let it go.Now you are informed shoppers.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
As I remember it, a credit card surcharge would be illegal in Canada, where did you find that on their website?
Old 08-17-2020, 05:24 AM

Default here

https://www.rustywood.ca/shipping-payment/
Old 08-17-2020, 05:28 AM

Default And

At the top of the page click on "news" where no one would care to look the 10% charge to prop up our failing dollar.Retailers aren't the only ones having to watch their pennies these days so are the consumers.We are all affected .Just be up front about it.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:08 AM

I keep hearing stuff about rusty wood practices. He did trigger jobs on my miroku 73s, 357 and 44 40,fast and right and reasonable price. Just sayin
Old 08-17-2020, 11:15 AM

Several transactions with Peter by phone and all very good. Met him at the Chillawack show years ago and very knowledgeable. On one transaction he didnt even call me but sent the rifle back to his blueing guy as the rifle came out a bit splotchy so they did a second blue job for a solid blue black finish. Know several other cowboy action guys who have had the same stellar service.
I think many small shops are having a tough time for a year or more but if fees are shown up front before checkout you have a chance to back out of sale. Whatever it takes to survive. We will miss all these small ma and pa shops if they fail what is 10% on a hard to find $200 part? $20. No different than many major parts places in USA charging $35 to ship to Canada when actual cost is $15.