Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
My buddies 2019 Colorado ZR2 was in the shop more times in the first 6 months then my 2006 Tacoma has been in it's lifetime (this is not a joke). I don't think the domestics have the quality of the Toyo even today. I love mine and will buy another but the thing just won't die and it's tough to leave something thats been so good to me. The joy of so many vehicles being made is something will please everyone, but I love the Taco for all reasons that are important to me. Staying out of the shop is reason #1
I have a buddy with a 2017 ZR2, same results as your buddy. Not small repairs either. Rear diff, electrical issues, nasty oil leak, and most recently the trans piled up. 50000kms on it.
GM tried to compete with the Tacoma but is falling quite short. They branded the ZR2 as an adventure truck. But I wouldn’t trust it when a guy is 2 hrs on a dirt road with no cell service.
The Tacoma’s are always ready to go on an adventure.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'm sorry, but it seems odd that a person who drives a Ram 1500 is smashing a Tacoma, one of the most reliable vehicles on the road for a loooong time. Something about this scenario just seems odd.

Compact trucks aren't for everyone, and the Tacoma is a challenge for taller drivers no doubt, but reliability as your basis for knocking them just doesn't seem a credible argument.

That's my 2 cents.
LOL. So true. Much FCA irony, so grin.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
My buddies 2019 Colorado ZR2 was in the shop more times in the first 6 months then my 2006 Tacoma has been in it's lifetime (this is not a joke). I don't think the domestics have the quality of the Toyo even today. I love mine and will buy another but the thing just won't die and it's tough to leave something thats been so good to me. The joy of so many vehicles being made is something will please everyone, but I love the Taco for all reasons that are important to me. Staying out of the shop is reason #1
I test drove the Canyon and I liked the power and all of the electronic convenience items, but a friend had several issues with his, and traded it off, so I went for the much better reliability record of the Tacoma. This is my fourth Toyota, and I guess that I am spoiled , after not having any reliability issues with them, like I did with my Ford and GM vehicles.

As for the Jeep Gladiator that someone is raving about, it hasn't been out very long, but has already had at least two recalls, as well as other issues.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2020-j...-alert-419212/

https://www.motor1.com/news/371509/j...led-stop-sale/

https://www.lemberglaw.com/2020-jeep...plaints-lemon/

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-15-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:28 AM

Default The seating is brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
currently in a gladiator on 37's with 4.88's and manual transmission
I've seen a white Rubicon that looked taller than stock height. Is that you?

OT- the biggest downside to Tacomas is the shallow cab seating arrangement. You sit in a recliner position versus upright, some people like it, some don't.
Everything else about them is manageable.

FTR- it's a good thing that Toyota is still making trucks for the North American market, otherwise the Jeeps would get lonely out on the trails.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-15-2020, 10:39 AM

Default Do they haul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwayzie View Post
Neat that this thread was started, I've been kinda wanting a 6spd 4 door tacoma.

Who with Tacomas hauls with them and how's that going? How much lumber can you fit in the box? Or do you have to haul a trailer to Lowes every time?

Anyone ever put car seats in a double cab?

2000-3000lbs depending on which ponies a guy decides to trailer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lanikai_0010 copy.jpg (104.3 KB, 22 views)

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-15-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Of course it won’t, the Camry of trucks haha. Sales volume equals basic tool at basic price.

.223 isn’t big game legal...that’s not versatile, if gonna have a single digit recoil energy bang stick...it may as well do it all

The gladiator is an odd duck as it’s a legacy type lifestyle vehicle, and you pay for that, it just happens to come as a mid-size pick up truck. So as you’ll see a pattern with me...versatility rules and efficiency rules. Do more with less, the Swiss Army knife effect.

The taco really doesn’t compare. Pretty popcan.

You sound just like my old boss Stinky (is that you Billy?/can't be moved to BC). The look on his face over the years when I had to come bail him out(boosts @ -40 pulling one/many our rigs out) where priceless.

Drive faster creeky, don't want anybody seeing me (rescued again) in this pos popcan Toyota-good times LOL.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 08-15-2020 at 11:03 AM.