Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
So most of you dont think the sheriff could have or should have deescalated things with this boy? Most of you think police should not use judgement and only enforce laws that they think will serve the best interest of the community?
I just can't help but wonder if this applied to sportsmen who might get ratted out by a friend,neighbor,etc for having a firearm or clip that the feds deem dangerous to the public? What if the sportsman going through a divorce gets a visit from the sheriffs and they punch him in the head for not immediately complying to the federal governments new or future newn gun laws?
Is he a minor or an adult?

Did he (adult or child) refuse to exit the tractor?

How many times was he asked to get out?

Is there a good video of the altercation?

‪‘He was punched in the neck’: Alberta farm family recalls run-in with sheriffs at checkstop https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/he-was-pu...5058700‬

The guy stated he did resist. So why such a long thread? Lots of assumptions on who did what based upon hearsay. Video shows someone resisting coming out of a huge tractor. Person is sitting high up and has an edge on officers due to positioning. Officers appeared to use reasonable force to bring an uncooperative and combatant person to the ground for arrest

Seems like a very polarized position people have.

1. Didn’t listen to direction and got arrested. Not a smart person.

2. Police were mean. Should of let him go by without asking him for a breathalyzer

Ignorance is no excuse to bypass direction of a peace officer.

I want hard core enforcement of drinkingband driving which means testing everyone.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-14-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Is he a minor or an adult?

Did he (adult or child) refuse to exit the tractor?

How many times was he asked to get out?

Is there a good video of the altercation?

‪‘He was punched in the neck’: Alberta farm family recalls run-in with sheriffs at checkstop https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/he-was-pu...5058700‬

The guy stated he did resist. So why such a long thread? Lots of assumptions on who did what based upon hearsay. Video shows someone resisting coming out of a huge tractor. Person is sitting high up and has an edge on officers due to positioning. Officers appeared to use reasonable force to bring an uncooperative and combatant person to the ground for arrest

Seems like a very polarized position people have.

1. Didn’t listen to direction and got arrested. Not a smart person.

2. Police were mean. Should of let him go by without asking him for a breathalyzer

Ignorance is no excuse to bypass direction of a peace officer.

I want hard core enforcement of drinkingband driving which means testing everyone.
They don't even test everyone, they just talk to you. If you can form a coherent sentence and don't smell drunk they won't breathalyze you. They need a reason to do, they won't do it just because.

From what I get from the story, rich farm kid lipped off the cops and wouldn't cooperate. Kid wouldn't comply with basic commands, so cops we're forced to physically bring him out of the tractor. Brother came over and also got lippy and ended up in cuffs. This is the same crap our police face day in and day out. The fact is if you comply with their request 99.9% of cases are uneventful. Police did a good job under the circumstances.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-14-2020, 01:54 AM

Do stupid things...recieve the prize of a George Floydman grill..
Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 PM

Well over $60,000 on their go fund me page now.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:22 AM

$60,000? Jeez who are these dummies that are donating to this criminal???

I'm going to open a go fund me page because I didn't win anything when I checked my lottery tickets last night. Hopefully the same geniuses will give me money.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Ridiculous, as though the police aren’t getting trolled enough these days, now there is a big financial incentive for the in-person trolls who are either recording with their phone or having an accomplice recording (for careful editing later to remove their own obnoxious & persistent instigating before they post it publicly).

I seriously doubt that if I posted a boring video of going about my days working diligently and being respectful to people would get me enough GoFundMe money to buy a nice vehicle or take a big dent out of my mortgage. The western world is turning backwards.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
$60,000? Jeez who are these dummies that are donating to this criminal???

I'm going to open a go fund me page because I didn't win anything when I checked my lottery tickets last night. Hopefully the same geniuses will give me money.
I understand why but I dont want to make everybody on here mad at me trying to explain.
BTW if we all see things the same way, there isn't much to talk about.
TV news calls these forums echo chambers.
Anyway I'm smiling when I say things and I'm not trying to antagonize anyone so try not to take me in the worst possible way.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:14 AM

What happens to the go fund me money if they wimp out and drop all charges?
Old 08-15-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I understand why but I dont want to make everybody on here mad at me trying to explain.
BTW if we all see things the same way, there isn't much to talk about.
TV news calls these forums echo chambers.
Anyway I'm smiling when I say things and I'm not trying to antagonize anyone so try not to take me in the worst possible way.
We all here have different opinions. Hope nobody actually gets mad for someone expressing theirs! Like to refer to it as debating rather than arguing!
Old 08-15-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
I agree piker, what the heck does homeschooling have to do with anything?

Lets look at this from the LEO side of things in the moment.

Nice day, doing a checkstop to get drunk drivers off the road. Got a nice little line up things are going smoothly, have some nice chats with people, some less than nice but all in all a good day. All of a sudden you look up and a tractor has veered off the road in to the ditch and trying to bypass your checkstop. This is not normal behaviour. You and your co-workers get the tractor to stop, but the occupant is ignoring your commands or refusing. All you know at this point is someone tried to bypass the checkstop, is not responding to commands, refuses to blow, and won't come out of the tractor.

Seems like something is off, so you remove said person from the tractor, they fight it, the use of force is escalated based on the restitence. Next the brother comes up and starts arguing the point and gets in the tractor to drive away, he to is uncooperative and needs to be cuffed.

Seems like the only one's at fault are the family with the tractor. Now more information comes out that this family is secular, and possibly along the likes of the Freeman on the Land, and it makes all the sense in the world why things unrolled the way they did.

Sorry but from my seat, I don't see anything wrong with what they did.
No doubt, kid just needed a little tenderizing, all good.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
No doubt, kid just needed a little tenderizing, all good.
It’s good to see it happen to a white boy, it shows all the crying about racial profiling is just that, a bunch of whining to create a false hardship to gain special treatment when in reality it’s police just trying to do their job. At least this farm kid wasn’t jumping around threatening the cops, asking them if they knew who he is and challenging them to a fight.

We’ll see if the cops drop the charges like they did for the Kung fu chief. If they don’t it’ll prove that special treatment is given to racial minorities if they go to the media with their story. This kid didn’t show any aggression towards the cops that I could see nor did he challenge the cops to a fight, at least I didn’t hear any of that, so I’d say if they gave the chief a get out of jail free card that this kid should get one too. But let’s be honest, he’s white, what do you think the odds of that happening are?
Old 08-15-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Holy this doesn't get any better. Apparently the kid couldn't speak for a week after the incident because he was so shaken up. And they lost $100,000 because he couldn't drive his tractor into the field, that didn't have any hay in it.

I wish the news and papers would publish a story about what really happened. And how much money this family has. And how all these gullible morons are donating money to them.

Now I've had my fare share of run ins with the law, but I know they're doing their job. If you talk crap about them and what they're doing, you should be registered on a list. And then when you need help, they don't have to help you because you lost your privileges for being an idiot.
Can we be tax exempt when we’re on this list because I’ll sign up. Like Oscar Leroy use to say “my taxes pays your salary, you work for me, *******”
Old 08-15-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It’s good to see it happen to a white boy, it shows all the crying about racial profiling is just that, a bunch of whining to create a false hardship to gain special treatment when in reality it’s police just trying to do their job. At least this farm kid wasn’t jumping around threatening the cops, asking them if they knew who he is and challenging them to a fight.

We’ll see if the cops drop the charges like they did for the Kung fu chief. If they don’t it’ll prove that special treatment is given to racial minorities if they go to the media with their story. This kid didn’t show any aggression towards the cops that I could see nor did he challenge the cops to a fight, at least I didn’t hear any of that, so I’d say if they gave the chief a get out of jail free card that this kid should get one too. But let’s be honest, he’s white, what do you think the odds of that happening are?
Whats this got to do with race, don’t you think having Justin’s number had something to do with charges being dropped. Do you have any clue how many natives are incarcerated, the charges are not always dropped.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:05 PM

See race is a whole other angle that I wasn't thinking about. So if your on side with law enforcement in one case your with them in all cases or your racist? I never even gave that a thought. To me if someone is drinking and or on drugs then I can side more with law enforcement. I still dont like seeing them using force but it kind of depends on how big or the age of the person they are taking down. A known bad guy like George Floyd would be a perfect example.
Before I was looking at this more as a rural issue. Maybe my idea of rural is different than yours but all the rural people I know don't fear their neighbour. Not so long ago nobody locked anything. A neighbour might need to use the phone or borrow a wrench while I'm gone. Dont get me wrong, everybody is not a saint and there are people you wouldn't want to do business with. But I dont think the worst ones would come into your yard and steal. Every rural person I know thinks of rural crime as outside people coming in. When police pull over a local person in a bale truck to check hjim out it just seems crazy. This isn't entitlement but what most rural farmers would consider common sense.
Everybody looks out for each other even if its someone you might not like that much. People are concerned about suspicious strange vehicles depending on time of day and location. Making a tractor go through a check stop just seems crazy to a lot of people.
This isn't about wealthy people being above the law. Although the rural people I know generally feel there are to many laws.
As far as drinking and driving all the local people around here anyway slow down to about 10 mph when they meet anyone on the road because of the rocks and dust. Nobody local is hurting anybody.
Also those leudweeks or whatever their last name was. When you hear their version of what happened live on the radio it sounds different than when you read what happened say on here or on one of the links.
Again I'm not trying to say who is right and I'm sure everybody can pick a part everything I said. I'm just trying to show you how some people look at it.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Default Maybe he had an exemption card

Old 08-15-2020, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
Whats this got to do with race, don’t you think having Justin’s number had something to do with charges being dropped. Do you have any clue how many natives are incarcerated, the charges are not always dropped.
I don’t think race has anything to do with law enforcement in Canada period, I am however glad that the farmer is white, it backs up my belief. It also backs my belief that if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

Where I think race comes into play will be in the outcome. We all watched the juvenile behavior displayed by the Kung fu chief, we all were told it was a result of racial profiling, apologies had to be made, a call to Ottawa to reform our flawed system, a call to defund police. Well it happened again, only this time it’s a white farmer who got lippy with the cops, thankfully.

To be clear, I don’t think this kid deserves any apologies, I highly doubt he complied with the officers demands, and I hope he gets what’s he’s got coming to him. What I hope comes from this is all these clowns who are crying that our police service suffers from racial profiling realize the problem our police face is criminals and the media.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I don’t think race has anything to do with law enforcement in Canada period, I am however glad that the farmer is white, it backs up my belief. It also backs my belief that if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

Where I think race comes into play will be in the outcome. We all watched the juvenile behavior displayed by the Kung fu chief, we all were told it was a result of racial profiling, apologies had to be made, a call to Ottawa to reform our flawed system, a call to defund police. Well it happened again, only this time it’s a white farmer who got lippy with the cops, thankfully.

To be clear, I don’t think this kid deserves any apologies, I highly doubt he complied with the officers demands, and I hope he gets what’s he’s got coming to him. What I hope comes from this is all these clowns who are crying that our police service suffers from racial profiling realize the problem our police face is criminals and the media.
Race has something to do with judicial outcome.

It is proven constantly. There is no question at all that we are not at all judged alike.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-15-2020, 04:23 PM

I’m pretty sure if this 18 year old farm boy had Justin and Greta watching his back his charges would be dropped also, so we all agree, race has nothing to do with police or charges, it’s who you know.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:43 PM

The way I look at it is he is an adult, was operating a motorized vehicle on a highway without a licenses, tried to go around a check stop, ignored the officers commands, and resisted.

He did wrong, got the special treatment so why feel sorry for him. If he is home schooled and dose not understand the traffic laws or what a breathalyzer is the blame is on his parents. Take your lumps, get a license and move on.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:24 PM

Default is the fight worth it

Not siding on anybody.

Here is my "hypothetical" take on this.

You might have to consider this when you are LEO and you are covering up a large span of territory. In cases of emergency when you need a back up, whom would you rely on naaah (community). It is not like what they show you on TV, where the helicopter will just fly out to help you. It will take hours and seconds means life.

Not saying to take a soft glove hands to anybody, but there is better way to do this thing. In this case, I would also "assume" that most of the involved LEO lived on this big cities.

It is either you can enforce the law to the tee or you enforce it practically, your choice.

No worries I live in Calgary
Old 08-15-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Over $63,000
Love some of the comments on the GoFundMe page
Old 08-15-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I refer to them as the Sundre chapter of Free Men on the land. Friend of mine, who just happens to be the Reeve, now has gates on his property, after about a dozen Leussinks mobbed him over displeasure that the county outlawed signs along the highway. They stood to lose 6000. in fees. Assault charges were contemplated. Attended the annual meeting of our local gas coop to see a twentiesh age woman at the buffet line , wearing a hunting knife with about an 8 ' blade over her dress. I said, you must be a Leussink ? Oh, how did you know ? This is their handiwork as well, in Sundre town limits, so apparently allowed.

Not much sympathy from a lot of folks, the family reminds me of the Pilgrim clan that came to a bad end in Alaska about 20 years ago, when it came out Papa was a little to close with his daughters. They're on Facebook soliciting donations for the kid's defense. One comment was, they'll probably just use it to buy a truck.
Are you sure it was an 8' blade?
Must have been quite a sight !
Old 08-15-2020, 11:36 PM

I’m a born and raised farm boy, proud rural supporter of them and their plights but this is not the norm or acceptable. When I was 18 driving a tractor down the road during haying season I was in a hurry, a good hustle and work ethic/drive is what often sets farm kids apart from most city kids. I doubt I would have made the judgement to drive around a line of cars and especially a peace officer in the ditch (very arrogant and disrespectful). One thing that I nor any of my family, friends or any other farm kids I know would have done is ignore the orders of an officer. If he said shut it off and get out, I would have gladly complied. For sure my first though would not have been to resist and be mouthy...

I’m in the camp he got what he asked for. Lack of respect for an officer never ends well, especially when you are in the wrong.

This brings up another point of mine. ALL law enforcement needs to start wearing body cams at all times while on the clock. Period. No reason not to, if they are in the wrong it is a good learning tool for them while keeping the lesser ones honest, and more times than not it will disprove this bull**** theory being paraded by the media that the cops are all bad out to get everyone. Done.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Are you sure it was an 8' blade?
Must have been quite a sight !

She's a tall woman and it was a scythe.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
She's a tall woman and it was a scythe.
Lol!

She's a tall woman, hunts geese with a rake

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-16-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
The way I look at it is he is an adult, was operating a motorized vehicle on a highway without a licenses, tried to go around a check stop, ignored the officers commands, and resisted.

He did wrong, got the special treatment so why feel sorry for him. If he is home schooled and dose not understand the traffic laws or what a breathalyzer is the blame is on his parents. Take your lumps, get a license and move on.
The lack of drivers license is irrelevant. He does not need one to operate an implement of husbandry like a tractor. He only has to be over 16 years old.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:

And you just brought race into it. Pointing this out is the same thing I’m starting to feel. It was a boy just leave it at that and the world will be a better place.

Someday......

Maybe......

Yeah ok I dunno.....
Old 08-16-2020, 10:28 AM

I still get a kick out of the lil princess sitting in the tractor, i would've of been off the tractor & down on the
ground to see what the cop's were wanting before they were even 20ft from my machine. Him in his rather
obvious rebellious teen spirit refusing to dismount & being tugged from inside could of easily resulted in the
tractor getting bumped into gear/cop getting squashed...and..what 16yr old does not know the term:
'Breathalyzer' ??
Old 08-16-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
See race is a whole other angle that I wasn't thinking about. So if your on side with law enforcement in one case your with them in all cases or your racist? I never even gave that a thought. To me if someone is drinking and or on drugs then I can side more with law enforcement. I still dont like seeing them using force but it kind of depends on how big or the age of the person they are taking down. A known bad guy like George Floyd would be a perfect example.
Before I was looking at this more as a rural issue. Maybe my idea of rural is different than yours but all the rural people I know don't fear their neighbour. Not so long ago nobody locked anything. A neighbour might need to use the phone or borrow a wrench while I'm gone. Dont get me wrong, everybody is not a saint and there are people you wouldn't want to do business with. But I dont think the worst ones would come into your yard and steal. Every rural person I know thinks of rural crime as outside people coming in. When police pull over a local person in a bale truck to check hjim out it just seems crazy. This isn't entitlement but what most rural farmers would consider common sense.
Everybody looks out for each other even if its someone you might not like that much. People are concerned about suspicious strange vehicles depending on time of day and location. Making a tractor go through a check stop just seems crazy to a lot of people.
This isn't about wealthy people being above the law. Although the rural people I know generally feel there are to many laws.
As far as drinking and driving all the local people around here anyway slow down to about 10 mph when they meet anyone on the road because of the rocks and dust. Nobody local is hurting anybody.
Also those leudweeks or whatever their last name was. When you hear their version of what happened live on the radio it sounds different than when you read what happened say on here or on one of the links.
Again I'm not trying to say who is right and I'm sure everybody can pick a part everything I said. I'm just trying to show you how some people look at it.
What you described is entitlement.

And ive known more than a few rural folks thay drink during the day hours, work or not.

No one is exempt and theyre doong their job. They arent mind readers so when you act like a resistance twit you are one.

And watch the video. Kid got some soft gloves given his behavior.

A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.
-Thomas Paine
Old 08-17-2020, 07:29 AM

Okay, normal citizens should be entitled to be not treated like criminals. A 100lbs older lady who has been a good member of the community all her life but now has a bad case of menopause, having a really bad day should be treated different than a big guy who is intoxicated and looking for trouble or someone who is lurking around an area where they dont belong. Example thats what always bothered me about those Metis moose hunters that got shot. What were they doing out by that guys house that time of night?
Police need to be part of the community. They need to know people and treat people according to who they are. Everybody is not a threat.
BTW I'm not against the use of force when its appropriate.