Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 06:44 PM

Default Anyone else getting spam calls from Niger

This is getting annoying. I’ve had 15 today and I block everyone but it still comes back on a different number. Is there anyway to fix this. Does Telus have a way to block all calls from Africa.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:47 PM

Ya received about 20 calls from Niger today.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:58 PM

I was getting 60-70 calls per day from all over the world. Just one ring or a half a ring. No voicemail. I just put my phone on Do Not Disturb. I’m down to 5-10 per week now.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:04 PM

Yup I continually block the numbers but they co me in from a different unregistered number, claim to be service Canada and have a warrant for my arrest, I just hit end call and block number, only get about 5 or 6 per day.

Just once I would like to have 5 minutes alone in my garage with one of those callers

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:14 PM

I was getting lots of called from Morroco, got fed upand went into a telus store and they phoned into support (when they phone in they are not put on hold as you or i would be), an extra digit was added to my number that a robo call cannot enter but a live person is asked to enter and the call is put through. Easy quick and haven't had another robo call since.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelunch View Post
I was getting lots of called from Morroco, got fed upand went into a telus store and they phoned into support (when they phone in they are not put on hold as you or i would be), an extra digit was added to my number that a robo call cannot enter but a live person is asked to enter and the call is put through. Easy quick and haven't had another robo call since.
Good info and will have to look into that
Old 08-14-2020, 08:01 PM

Just got a call from niger. Rang twice.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:28 PM

Default Alleged Service Canada call

I was getting seemingly never ending calls wth a recorded message claiming to be some investigative department of Service Canada, from varied different phone numbers. After refusing to answer my phone for a period of time, I thought it was time for me to start asking a few questions, so at the next call I pressed the key to put me through to an officer. I said, “so you are an officer, What is your official officers number”? The line went quiet so quickly that I didn’t even hear a hang up. That was the last of these calls.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:16 PM

These folk have a page on FB, always getting notices about stuff, the CRA one is a special one. They just busted a bunch in Ont on the Nigerian stuff, but, it is still ongoing. They do want people reporting the ph nbrs they are coming from;

https://www.antifraudcentre-centrean.../index-eng.htm
Old 08-15-2020, 07:22 AM

I have call display. Strange number comes up, click, click. Most annoying though is when I come home and have one message., every day about the same time. Your Google listing is expired, push one.

Grizz
Old 08-15-2020, 07:34 AM

I get the CRA one a couple times a week. Now,I have the time sometimes while I'm working on a bike to 'chat'. The last feller didn't like that I told him his English was poor and if he wanted my money he was going to have to find someone who I could understand. Then he asked if I was going to come to his house to teach him English. I said in fact I would love to come to his home and teach some lessons.
The time before that, the guy was yelling at me because I wouldn't confirm my postal code for him. He found me in the system,BERNARD R UBBLE, but needed me to confirm. I asked him to tell me what the postal code he has on file was. He said he wasn't going to give out sensitive information to a total stranger. Then he started yelling at me.LOL
These clowns.
BTW I'll pay my CRA bill when I get the money my rich uncle in Dubai is sending me. He passed away you know.

Tullfan
Old 08-15-2020, 07:34 AM

Are we allowed to use the N word again??

I keep getting calls from local numbers and when I answer its a recording of an Asian lady rambling on about something we can't understand.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:45 AM

I actually got one from there yesterday but never answered and they seemed to give up after a few rings.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 08-15-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
This is getting annoying. I’ve had 15 today and I block everyone but it still comes back on a different number. Is there anyway to fix this. Does Telus have a way to block all calls from Africa.
I hooked up call control last week on my Telus phone it works perfect, the downside is you have to enter the 25 accepted numbers manually and to turn off the feature you have to logon to your Telus account.

Call Control allows customers to list up to 25 phone numbers on their accepted callers list, and up to 25 on their blocked callers list. ... To activate the service, customers can sign into their online account, or dial *99 from their TELUS phone. To learn more about Call Control, visit telus.com/callcontrol.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:58 AM

I’ve been getting the “pay your tax bill or you’re going to jail” calls lately. They show up on my phone with a legitimate Rocky Mountain House prefix, as on occasion I thought I missed a legit call and reached a local when I called back.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-15-2020, 09:13 AM

I profanely insult their mother, haven't had a call for a month.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:16 AM

Default I offer to pay them.

In cash.

They never show up in the dark alley to meet me.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:32 AM

You need to answer the phone when it rings. Play along then make up something funny they’ll hang up. If you don’t answer they’ll just keep calling and calling.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
In cash.

They never show up in the dark alley to meet me.
Lol in cash!!! I paid them in I-tunes cards purchases at a discount from Costco!
Old 08-15-2020, 10:06 AM

Yup, quite a bit lately. Keep forgetting to block the number. Annoying and a weird phone number on the cell phone display. And the CRA or cops are coming for you number too.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:21 PM

Great. Now it’s constant calls from Zimbabwe. Lol. The Africans really are persistent
Old 08-15-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Yup, quite a bit lately. Keep forgetting to block the number. Annoying and a weird phone number on the cell phone display. And the CRA or cops are coming for you number too.
Blocking the number is like whack a mole, 12 calls one day from CRA all different numbers and call display
Old 08-15-2020, 02:11 PM

When I get the call and they say from CRA I always ask for the conversation in French. The conversation goes nowhere when I tell them to send the cops over and I have coffee and donuts waiting. Yes it is very annoying especially when they can ping or bounce their numbers from country to country and make it look like it comes right from your city. Most times I leave it on voice mail and they can leave a message.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:33 PM

I just don't answer a number I don't know. If it's important they leave a voicemail. Not many do.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
You need to answer the phone when it rings. Play along then make up something funny they’ll hang up. If you don’t answer they’ll just keep calling and calling.
On the calls I’ve been getting, I’m required to press 1 to hear any more than the initial recording. If I do press 1, am I putting my account at risk? I am curious to hear their pitch having found it worth the risk of charges to my phone.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-16-2020, 07:33 AM

I like to reply to a made-up language. I once had a scammer on the phone for 20 minutes trying to pick through words. I figure my time spent with them reduces the number of calls thay can make.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-16-2020, 08:56 PM

Been getting them too. Told one guy he was lower than a Nat on a cockroaches belly. But he didn't hear it all as he hung up halfway through me telling him that.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I like to reply to a made-up language. I once had a scammer on the phone for 20 minutes trying to pick through words. I figure my time spent with them reduces the number of calls thay can make.
Ditto that!

I make it a point to waste as much of their time as I possibly can. Had a guy call me once told me he was with Microsoft and I owed them money and if I didn't pay them they were going to shut my PC down.

I kept him on the phone for 15 to 20 min's then told him I worked in IT (I do) and that I'd traced his call (I didn't really) to India (caller ID said "Richmond, BC"). He said, "Oh no sir, I'm not in India" I kept insisting he was and finally told him loudly and rudely to stop lying to me as I KNEW he was in India. He was really angry then and yelled at me, "I'm not in India, I'm in Pakistan!"

I was literally LOL'ing and he just hung up on me.

Total of his time wasted - 20 min's
Total entertainment value to me - priceless

Maybe if I was lucky, he missed scamming some little old lady out of her pension money because I kept him on the phone so long.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 08-18-2020, 03:34 PM

We just block the call!