Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 PM

Default Pine Lake/Report

Was at Pine today from about 9 to 2 pm, fished in about 20 feet water,19 inches of water, pulled up a few small perch, nothing big to speak of,first time I ever caught perch, but as I was trying to release some of the smaller ones they wouldent go down the hole!! it was as if they had air in their bellys,I was using a Marmish rod and jig
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 PM

we also hit pine lake recently and i also had a problem with releasing one 8 or 9 inch perch as it couldn't swim back down after pulling it from 19 foot of water(ended up keeping it after 2 hours trying to swim down). i found the perch action very steady from 8am to around 4 ish when it slowed down. average perch was around the 7 to 8 inch mark with the odd one around 2 inches. took 3 home and would definately go back even if i had no keepers, just love the steady action. bait of choice for me was a forage minnow and a plain hook with maggots. i have heard of a device simular to a blow worm kit that you can stick into the fish to remove the air out of the air sack so they can swim down but i am not convince this would work because if a person misses with this hollow needle and hits vital organs it may do more damage to the fish. but i haven't heard much about this item being used by anglers.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
i have heard of a device simular to a blow worm kit that you can stick into the fish to remove the air out of the air sack so they can swim down but i am not convince this would work because if a person misses with this hollow needle and hits vital organs it may do more damage to the fish. but i haven't heard much about this item being used by anglers.
Personally myself, I would not recommend anyone from doing this unless they truly know what they are doing. It is called "fizzing a fish". This is to release pressure built up in a fish's Air Bladder. Usually caused from bringing up from the depths at a fast rate. Fish would swim belly up in Livewells but once fizzed, swim back in normal position.
In a case with small Perch, the best technique to avoid harming it, would be to bring it up much slower. That gives it a chance to adapt to the pressure change and a better chance of survival. About the only species that I know of that can adjust being bought up from the depths is Lake Trout. Ever notice, air bubbles coming from Lakers when bringing them up?
A Camera is a great assistance for those that have one. Pull your bait away from the pesty small Fry