Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Default Gull lake/brownlows

Anybody out today? how's the ice? was going to give it one more shot tomorrow?
Thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Kinda eager to get out there one more time as well, may be wilsons beach? Not sure didn't have much luck at brownlows last time...
Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Ice is fine, so is approach to lake
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Banned

Just got back from there, I measured ice to be 36inches last week
. This week I fished the same spot and ice was also 36 inches. There is some snow drift all over the lake. Approach at brownlows ( minor ruttes 4" to 6"o)is fine even a car can make it through.

Fishing was slow and I'm yet to catch me a white fish from there. I'm contemplating going again tomorrow
Old 03-22-2014, 07:33 PM

Caught two whitefish, lost and saw a few more.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 PM

Caught 5 Perch, missed 1 white, 1 nice walleye and that's it.
Several hours without a fish in site moved several times.

Ice and access are good for all vehicle types. Brutal day.

Sylvan tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post

Sylvan tomorrow.
I hear ya, I fished the same spot last week and Iced 17 Perch and 8 Pikes (2 were legal size) and missed a dozen. but today that same spot produced nothing. so i moved a bit and got me 6 perch and 3 Pikes.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:01 PM

Willsons was good to drive on. Go south about 2km and fish in 10 fow with gold wetaskewins.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 PM

Default Anyone planning on going Monday?

I am planning on taking some buddies from work and give it a go on Monday...

I fish lots and always do ok...these guys have just caught the ice fishing bug (this will be their second trip this season) and I really want to put them on some fish. The GF may even come along too.

If anyone is planning on going out on Monday, feel free to PM me and we can meet up and make a day out of it.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 03-22-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post

Sylvan tomorrow.
My fishin buddy Bwackwabbit & I still had fun today, we drilled lots of holes, moved 4 times & caught a few Perch & small Pike, unfortunately I lost a decent Pike and a beauty Walleye in the order 7-8 lbs just under the ice trying to get them into the hole. Seen a few Burbs & Whites but no success.

Took a few pic's ..... the sun was shining, what more do you neeed, tomorrow's another day, back to RR23!

Z-Z

That's 31" of ice to top water plus 2-3" frozen snow/ice .... bring an extension.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 PM

will be going out in the morning just north of the brownlows if any one would like to meet up stop on by or give me a shout ill be in a 1982 ford bronco red and silver and have a blue clam 6 man comander hut up
Old 03-22-2014, 09:52 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcz View Post
will be going out in the morning just north of the brownlows if any one would like to meet up stop on by or give me a shout ill be in a 1982 ford bronco red and silver and have a blue clam 6 man comander hut up
We will be there around 8 and may drive around through Bentley and if we do maybe drop a line at brownlows for a short time before heading up the lake. If we do ill stop by and say hi
Old 03-22-2014, 11:14 PM

Will also be heading up for one last trip of the year , will be in a Frabill solo Comando looking for some whites .
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 AM

Was out at Brownlow's yesterday. First time this year fishing that part of the lake. Had a great day. Between 3 of us iced 10 whites, a couple perch, one nice walleye. Caught most of the whites between 11 and noon!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 PM

On my way home now, tough morning but managed a couple of whites and 4 keeper perch in 5 ft water, copper wire worm worked.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:43 PM

Still out here. 3 or 4 pike, nothing big. 1 white, 1 keeper perch and lots of little ones.

Lots of ice, easy access for any vehicle.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Had a good day out with my son[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]evan fishing.jpg 2.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evan fishing.jpg (28.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg evan fishing 3.jpg (26.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg evan fishing 4.jpg (31.7 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg evan fishing.jpg1.jpg (28.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:01 PM

That's what it's all about big, glad you had a good day!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 PM

was out at brownlows this weekend. had my 3 whites in about an hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whites.jpg (31.2 KB, 182 views)
Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 PM

Anyone out there tmrw???

Going on at brownlows and heading north. Look for a black ford truck and a 6 man blue clamcommand post tent. Stop in and say hi and tell us what we are doing wrong! Haha

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 AM

Thumbs up

Had a awesome Sunday out on gull. Moved around quite a bit but did pretty good and learned a lot from trying new things. I'll post a few pics later. Good job to everyone who made it out it was perfect weather almost.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 PM

Well....Monday sucked! haha

And I think it did for a bunch of other guys too....never saw guys pack up and leave so fast. It almost felt lonely on the lake!

Did manage a nice fat 6.5 lb pike though so the day wasn't a total washout.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 PM

Me thinks I'm going back out there tomorrow, got 2 spots GPS's that looked real promising, I'm hoping my gut feeling pays off & tomorrow will produce monster Pike & Walleye and perhaps a few good size Whites & Perch, too!

Z-Z

Old 03-25-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Me thinks I'm going back out there tomorrow, got 2 spots GPS's that looked real promising, I'm hoping my gut feeling pays off & tomorrow will produce monster Pike & Walleye and perhaps a few good size Whites & Perch, too!

Z-Z
March 25th ... went north down the ice road, got set up by 8:30, met three really great guys with lots of seniority we iced 12 Whites between us, in 8 fow by noon. There wasn’t many fish but the one’s we seen were super aggressive and a good size. Brass w/w with a green bead, light red or orange w/w, small brass hammered Wetaskiwin all produced. In addition to the Whites, add a couple small Perch & Pike.

I stayed later that the guys and had a few larger Pike visit in the afternoon, one was looking for my buddy Bwackwabbit, this fish was in the order of 15lbs plus, they look pretty big in 8 fow staring at your presentation, but not committed! Also seen a couple of Burbs, they looked pale, no camo color like the one’s in Sylvan. No Walleye today!

It was a fun day, met some interesting fellows with lots of stories to tell & caught a few fish. I believe that wasn’t the case for a number of others, there was lots of guys moving around & augers going most of the morning, by noon most everyone vamoosed. If I have time I'll update with some pic's, later.

Forecast doesn't look good for the next few days, we sure don't need 20cm or more of snow!

Z-Z

Old 03-26-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
March 25th ... went north down the ice road, got set up by 8:30, met three really great guys with lots of seniority we iced 12 Whites between us, in 8 fow by noon. There wasn’t many fish but the one’s we seen were super aggressive and a good size. Brass w/w with a green bead, light red or orange w/w, small brass hammered Wetaskiwin all produced. In addition to the Whites, add a couple small Perch & Pike.

I stayed later that the guys and had a few larger Pike visit in the afternoon, one was looking for my buddy Bwackwabbit, this fish was in the order of 15lbs plus, they look pretty big in 8 fow staring at your presentation, but not committed! Also seen a couple of Burbs, they looked pale, no camo color like the one’s in Sylvan. No Walleye today!

It was a fun day, met some interesting fellows with lots of stories to tell & caught a few fish. I believe that wasn’t the case for a number of others, there was lots of guys moving around & augers going most of the morning, by noon most everyone vamoosed. If I have time I'll update with some pic's, later.

Forecast doesn't look good for the next few days, we sure don't need 20cm or more of snow!

Z-Z

Just came in from shoveling the drive way, we got 4-5" over night & more to come ..... should be interesting blazing trails on the lake this weekend.

Here's 2 pics from yesterday.

Z-Z

Still a few shacks on the ice & nobody home!

These 3 were the largest, in the bin by 10:30.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Default !!!

great hog whites z-z!!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
great hog whites z-z!!!!
Tks for your feedback, while filleting, I always check what they have in their gut, all of them had fresh water shrimp, I imagine if I put some of them in a bowl of water they'd be swimming in circles trying to escape. This helps me understand why they were interested in a small/medium sized "Brass color" W/W & the Brass Wetaskiwin's.

Zip's fishin tip .... .... and I'm sure you will find one/some to try the next time out!

Z-Z

Old 03-27-2014, 11:23 AM

anyone out there brownlows today? wondering how the access is after that huge snow dump? planning to make a final trip this weekend.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Tks for your feedback, while filleting, I always check what they have in their gut, all of them had fresh water shrimp, I imagine if I put some of them in a bowl of water they'd be swimming in circles trying to escape. This helps me understand why they were interested in a small/medium sized "Brass color" W/W & the Brass Wetaskiwin's.
Zip's fishin tip .... .... and I'm sure you will find one/some to try the next time out!

Z-Z
Check out the footage on post 113 of this thread. BwackWabbit's footage at Sylvan lake is great.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=202352&page=4

Whitefish also like the brass color because lingcod eggs are also brass/copper colored. The footage shows how the lingcod are followed by the whitefish. I few times I have seen a lingcod swim past my hole and 3 or 4 whitefish would be right behind them like a pack of wolves.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Banned

Anyone fishing gull tommorrow? I will be there all day if anyone is bored. Zip you fishing?