Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: Which rifle would you choose?
Rifle 1 had no barrel break in procedure performed but shoots MOA 28 100.00%
Break in procedure performed, accuracy cannot be verified before purchase. 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2014, 08:54 AM

Default A perspective regarding 'barrel break in'

After reading through the latest thread about 'proper barrel break in', I began to wonder how much it matters to a purchaser of a used rifle. If you had the opportunity to purchase a used rifle that had no barrel break in procedure performed - but shot MOA, or one that had a proper procedure (one shot, clean barrel for five round etc.), which would you buy?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Banned

The auto manufacturers used to tell new owners DO NOT EXCEED 50 MPH for the first 5000 Miles,,, and that was just as much a crock of sh*t, as BARREL BREAK IN PROCEDURE !
Old 08-23-2014, 09:25 AM

All other things being equal, I would opt for the rifle with the BI. For me, the fact that the seller put in that little bit of extra time /care into the rifle gives me some confidence that the rifle was also looked after in other ways. Nor, would I choose a similarly performing rifle that had been cleaned only after every 300 rounds fired over one that had been cleaned after each outing.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Banned

How does ANYONE know how many times and at WHAT intervals another person's firearm has been swabbed ?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:43 AM

the ridiculousness of this poll puts the the origional question of barrel break in in slightly clearer perspective
Old 08-23-2014, 02:46 PM

West250. .... I would have voted if the question was between whether I do BI or not. Sorry, but I just couldn't make a connection between the choices.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
All other things being equal, I would opt for the rifle with the BI. For me, the fact that the seller put in that little bit of extra time /care into the rifle gives me some confidence that the rifle was also looked after in other ways. Nor, would I choose a similarly performing rifle that had been cleaned only after every 300 rounds fired over one that had been cleaned after each outing.
But what if that person did this during the break in procedure and is the reason he is selling it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skus7HWi_8
Old 08-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
West250. .... I would have voted if the question was between whether I do BI or not. Sorry, but I just couldn't make a connection between the choices.

The choices were worded to find out which is more important to you: Proven accuracy or 'barrel break in'. Also, whether you believe in a break in procedure as an aid to accuracy or not.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:32 PM

There is zero chance of quantifying whether barrel break in procedures do any good.

This is why the jury will never deliver a verdict on the subject.

Arguing about the subject is akin to picking fly dung out of pepper.

Get over yourself's!

Do what ever you feel is in your best interests, whatever that may be, but just do it properly.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-23-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west250 View Post
The choices were worded to find out which is more important to you: Proven accuracy or 'barrel break in'. Also, whether you believe in a break in procedure as an aid to accuracy or not.
In that case, it would have been more to the point had you said "Do you believe a break in procedure is an aid to accuracy? Yes or No"
Although it has been said thousands of times ... There is no evidence that BI enhances accuracy. The "debate" (which cannot be proven) is related to cleanning only.
Now, an accuracy gaurantee of 1/2 MOA would have my interest.... one MOA ...not a chance
Old 08-23-2014, 07:33 PM

Well, I think the results say that the voters would choose a proven barrel over one that had some sort of break in. That was my interest...

I'll pull this poll later on tonight - apparently barrel break in goes in the same category as religion and politics.

20 days til opening season here!
Old 08-23-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west250 View Post
Well, I think the results say that the voters would choose a proven barrel over one that had some sort of break in. That was my interest...

I'll pull this poll later on tonight - apparently barrel break in goes in the same category as religion and politics.

20 days til opening season here!
Do you think the results would be similar if choosing a proven barrel that had been BI, and a proven barrel that had no BI?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Do you think the results would be similar if choosing a proven barrel that had been BI, and a proven barrel that had no BI?
How much faith do you have in BI? Everyone voted for the proven barrel, but who's to say the broken in one wasn't owned by a poor shooter?

It's my opinion that there's accurate rifles, and not so accurate - and barrel break in wont change that.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:56 PM

That's right, who's to say.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 PM

Well, I break-in all my new CF barrels ... typically with up to a ten shot "clean and shoot" routine. I have used Krieger exclusively for about the last 16 - 20 barrels so I follow the Krieger recommendation. Many of them require no more than 5 or six shots before they start to clean up with only a few patches, so there ends the BI procedure. I always start with a thorough cleaning of the bore. I always neutralize after the solvent patches, and coat with oil before a subsequent shot. I usually shoot 200+ days each year so break-in time is not a big issue for me. Although I may not be as well qualified or experienced as many on this forum, I have a decent grasp on what works best for me .

I have not had a lot of new .22 cal RF --- a couple of CZ's, a TC Benchmark R55, a Volquartzen, and a couple of Anschutz 1710's. With these, I thoroughly cleaned everything, but especailly the bores before shooting. I used wax lubed bullets for the first outing, so shot 25 or so times and then cleaned the bore again. I clean the barrels with oil patched swabs after each outing, no solvents.

I believe you are right regarding accurate rifles ...some are better than others. Buying used anything presents risks and buyers must do so with their eyes open. IMO, most sellers are honest. Any selling I did ...I provided targets I shot, with the load data (including the BI groups). I sold a fair number of factory rifles and I suspect that although many of those rifles "averaged" under a MOA for me ...did not do so for the new owner.

I doubt the results of "the vote" will change many opinions among those of us that shoot a fair amount. I do what works for me. ( I voted for Ms Redford in the last election ... I was wrong on that vote... sometimes, the majority don't get it right.)

Last edited by 260 Rem; 08-23-2014 at 09:24 PM.