Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 05:28 PM

Default Do all the druggies need a swift kick in the behind rather than help injecting their drugs?

This has been bothering me more and more. The druggies, the tents, the thieves, the idea that we're supposed to do everything in the government's power to keep people from killing themselves, when they seem hell bent on it.

Seems to me the world would rather molly coddle these bums. Maybe we should take a firm approach? Like charge them with a crime and put them in jail. Or maybe don't help them use drugs! It just boggles the mind that this is even a thing.
Maybe a little personal accountability is needed. Maybe some tough love sort of approach.

I don't know, but what we're doing isn't working, and the rest of us are trying to live in a pleasant place, but we're letting a minority of people slowly wreck everything.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:50 PM

That's what happens when psych beds are closed and patients are "cared for" in the community. There are a certain people who can't be relied on to make proper decisions for both their own health, and the community at large. I've seen it happen in 2 provinces, and the results were the same in both.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:59 PM

Thumbs down Druggies

I live in Cranbrook it is brutal here ! Drug deaths, theft is brutal here ! Thank the BC and Federal gov.!
Old 02-22-2024, 06:26 PM

Problem is nobody can help them unless they want help, most only want free food and a place to sleep with no rules in between drug binges .
22 people die everyday in Canada, still doesn't stop anyone from taking the poison, if the dealers were charged with manslaughter after someone died it might change things.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC HUNTER View Post
I live in Cranbrook it is brutal here ! Drug deaths, theft is brutal here ! Thank the BC and Federal gov.!
It's the same in every province and much worse in the US, time to crack down hard on the global criminals that are manufacturing and bringing the Fentanyl in. China being the primary source should take the lead in this effort. Believe it or not addicts are not happy being impoverished and homeless, living with no hope.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Problem is nobody can help them unless they want help, most only want free food and a place to sleep with no rules in between drug binges .
22 people die everyday in Canada, still doesn't stop anyone from taking the poison, if the dealers were charged with manslaughter after someone died it might change things.
And don't you dare suggest they should be forced into treatment, that would be a violation of their rights.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-22-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
It's the same in every province and much worse in the US, time to crack down hard on the global criminals that are manufacturing and bringing the Fentanyl in. China being the primary source should take the lead in this effort. Believe it or not addicts are not happy being impoverished and homeless, living with no hope.
If you change your last sentence to “SOME addicts are not happy being impoverished…” I would agree 100%.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
If you change your last sentence to “SOME addicts are not happy being impoverished…” I would agree 100%.
If you change it to "Most", I would agree 100%
Old 02-22-2024, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
If you change it to "Most", I would agree 100%
Kind of goes back to the reason they became drug addicts, at first it might have been for the thrill, later it's to escape the despair and misery of their reality. No fun living like disposable human garbage.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
And don't you dare suggest they should be forced into treatment, that would be a violation of their rights.
There is a common misunderstanding that the solution for addiction is compulsory treatment, when in reality the vast, vast, vast majority of addicts in treatment reuse. Until someone wants to quit, treatment does nothing except waste more resources.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Well said. The government keeps throwing money at this, providing safe injection sites, and handing out drugs, and yet goes easy on drug dealers.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Well said. The government keeps throwing money at this, providing safe injection sites, and handing out drugs, and yet goes easy on drug dealers.
Hit the dealers very hard, at the least would drive drug price up & save a few from starting. Seems to have worked for cigarettes

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-22-2024, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I don't believe our court system deals with drug dealers nearly enough
Automatic jail time , manslaughter charge would a good start too.
I'm sure police witness drug deals continuous daily and just watch but if we were to walk down main street with a beer, what do you think would happen???

Answer: A ticket and a date with the judge
Old 02-22-2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
There is a common misunderstanding that the solution for addiction is compulsory treatment, when in reality the vast, vast, vast majority of addicts in treatment reuse. Until someone wants to quit, treatment does nothing except waste more resources.
Very well said and totally true.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:30 AM

In my opinion .They should re up That old rule 3 strikes & your out.My out would be ,a lead pill between there eyes.Think about it .911 calls,staff of our ems workers at risk of death.These new drugs are so folitly,just breathinhg them in walking down a quite street ,could be curtains...YYC Fire chief ,just said recently.There calls are 80% from last year...
Old 02-23-2024, 06:23 AM

Old 02-23-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
I don't believe our court system deals with drug dealers nearly enough
Automatic jail time , manslaughter charge would a good start too.
I'm sure police witness drug deals continuous daily and just watch but if we were to walk down main street with a beer, what do you think would happen???

Answer: A ticket and a date with the judge
I think of it this way.... Dealers should HAVE to consume the products in their possession, right there on the spot. If they have 100 pills on them, down the hatch they go. If the dealer survives, they're free to go. If not, well then.....

A few stories like this and perhaps more dealers would think twice about the choice in career that they have. Again, it's their choice if they want to pursue this way of life, just like it's my choice to continue to sit all day and do my job.

J.

Last edited by jcrayford; 02-23-2024 at 07:06 AM. Reason: re-phase
Old 02-23-2024, 07:18 AM

If the government stops handing out drugs, and makes penalties for trafficking in drugs extreme, it will reduce access to drugs, and less people will be addicted. And make addicts that collect government funds of any kind, consent to drug treatment programs, or cut off any government funding.
Impose harsh penalties on all dealers, and give anyone caught committing crimes to support an addiction, the option of mandatory drug addiction treatment, or much harsher sentences.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:28 AM

start giving the stuff to politicians kids , maybe then there will be some border security when they start dropping.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:36 AM

Canada will never fix the drug problem, we are way to soft. There are countries that know how to deal with vermin (dealers) but we are not willing. Until we as a society have had enough it will be here.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-23-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Canada will never fix the drug problem, we are way to soft. There are countries that know how to deal with vermin (dealers) but we are not willing. Until we as a society have had enough it will be here.
Exactly! You have to be willing to do what it takes, and Canada is not there.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
So the alternative is to leave them on the streets, shoplifting, stealing cars, stabbing people, vandalizing, robbing, thieving etc etc etc.

While what you say is true for the most part, removing them from society would have many benefits.

I offer this solution. Create drug addict treatment centers or even towns with a treatment center on one side of town, and a free drug safe injection site on the other side of town. If they get clean for a prescribed period of time let them out, if they don't keep them there until they succeed in killing themselves.

Our system allows forced incarceration if you are suicidal, and everyone knows those drugs will kill you eventually, which means if you are addicted then you are suicidal. So it's not a violation of their rights to force them to get treatment.

And if the expense of doing something like that is the big excuse not too then consider how people live in refugee camps, if it's good enough for refugees it should be good enough for addicts that are caught committing crimes, and if it's still too expensive then outsource the treatment centers to a country that can do it cheaper. They do it with manufacturing, call centers so why not?
Old 02-23-2024, 08:46 AM

Canada is way to passive. If i was King there would be a 3 month warning to the scource , the sleeze ball in country major distributors and dealers pushing Fentanyl, Meth etc.....Your killing Canadians of all ages , destroying families. Your caught you face firing squad , were not paying Thousands to put your sorry ass in a soft jail. Time to quit putting a bandaid on a very serious problem.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Canada is way to passive. If i was King there would be a 3 month warning to the scource , the sleeze ball in country major distributors and dealers pushing Fentanyl, Meth etc.....Your killing Canadians of all ages , destroying families. Your caught you face firing squad , were not paying Thousands to put your sorry ass in a soft jail. Time to quit putting a bandaid on a very serious problem.
I'd support that, just like they did with that Romanian dictator, out the door and up against the wall.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:02 AM

Make a zero tolerance policy for dealers. Anyone caught dealing this crap, automatic 10 years in jail. Then Instead of handing out free heroine, cocaine, and meth, flood the streets with magic mushrooms. They’re cheap, harmless, and may actually cure a bunch of these addicts. But the government wouldn’t dare think outside the box.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:03 AM

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Canada is way to passive. If i was King there would be a 3 month warning to the scource , the sleeze ball in country major distributors and dealers pushing Fentanyl, Meth etc.....You’re killing Canadians of all ages , destroying families. Your caught you face firing squad , were not paying Thousands to put your sorry ass in a soft jail. Time to quit putting a bandaid on a very serious problem.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:12 AM

Unfortunately there is no easy solution to addiction, there is not nearly enough resources to put even a dent into the drug problem.

Many here want immediate and simple solutions to this problem, many of these same people suffer from addiction as well. How many members here are addicted to social media ? How many of these people spend hours and hours on platforms like AO, X, Facebook, extra... These platforms are not drugs and many can't stop themselves from this simple form of addiction.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:35 AM

The way I see it:

The gov is the problem, and only contributes to it. That is their plan!

Ruin society as we see it, so we need to turn to them for everything! Full unequivocal compliance to the upper class, and I hate to break it to you that the working man is not part of the upper class!
Old 02-23-2024, 09:35 AM

I bet it would take about 2 hours of police work to catch the dealers who are selling the homeless these drugs. Just one undercover cop to wait for the zombies to flock to the car that pulls up.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:46 AM

when they used to have firing squads that is a job I could volunteer for