Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 05:25 PM

Default management style

https://globalnews.ca/news/4093796/w..._campaign=2015

Surely that's a management style that's going the way of the dinosaurs.

I wonder though, maybe this person would make a good coach for the Oilers?

All kidding aside, I've worked for people like this and it can suck for sure if you're on the wrong side of that person.

A heavy handed, even abusive management style is becoming unacceptable, especially in today's increasingly "sensitive" work places.

Being a bully is one thing, but when a manager is too nice or fair, they can get walked on, or taken advantage of by employees.
"Ah, Jim's a good guy, he won't mind that we didn't get this thing done today".

I get why sometimes mangers have to be real d***s just to "motivate" and get stuff done.

It can suck when there's a jerk running the jobsite, but sometimes it's needed.

I'm sure some of you guys are managers or foremen etc, whats are your thoughts on management style?
Old 03-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Managers are not born, they have to be trained. If you are in Supervision or Management in large oil or petrochemical companies they put you through in house training, at Syncrude it was a 2 year program before you could even touch a employee. Both Beets and Parker on Gold Rush are good examples of managers out of control, why they have such large staff turn overs. Trump another good example.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:45 PM

A good leader must be firm, fair and courteous. And, don't forget to throw out a few atta boys..........Oh! I forgot, it's now atta people, or is it atta person?
Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 PM

Compliment publicly and loudly, criticize privately and respectfully.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:08 PM

Thats not even a dinosour leadership style.
This is just plain bully, incompetent at their own job.

Firm, Fair and friendly.

Even some of the old guys I use to work with would tell stories of terrible bosses. Yelling screaming all the time. But they would always say the guy would have your back.

I also know of and worked for a few bosses who were pretty young talking and acting like they were old school like all the stories you hear. (never been a definition of old school) They would always say back in the day.
I use to laugh and say what day yesterday, your not old enough to even know what back in the day is, let alone skilled or competent enough to criticize another person.

I would let them know that just because they were young and supervising did not mean they were good and expierianced at their job. That takes years and years.

This Person in the article was plain and simple a bully, who lacked much skill in their job.
It will now come out that they suffer from PSTD, over worked and a list of other reasons why they were bad.

It is sad to see such behavior from people we should be able to be trusted. The even more so that other levels of supervisors ignored the problems.