Old 03-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Default Feds Table New Firearms Regulation

Well, it arrived today:

Global

Looks like the changes include:

-retailers to validate a licence before completing a firearm purchase;
-keep the name of buyers on file;
-changing rules regarding the transport of handguns; and,
-different procedure regarding background checks.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 AM

So the retailer will keep just our name on file? Or the purchase info too?

Smells like a back-door registry.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 AM

Guess my purchases from now on will be used through private parties.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Omg .... harder to transport handguns ...... like locked 2xs and ammo separate etc etc wasn't strict enough.

2 cases locked plus trigger locked ?

Love in turdos tweets he says it's not required to show your license ATM , plus there will never be another gun registry with his government .... know what that means ..... gun registry
Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 AM

So the scanner noted in a recent thread showed up before the bill was tabled?
Highly suspicious and how can the government proceed with it prior to the formal enactment if the law?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...49#post3746749
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Banned

What I don't understand is how any of this effects criminals.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Ha. Ya. No kidding
Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 AM

I’m curious about what is proposed for transport of restricteds? No blanket ATT’s anymore? What did an ATT even ever accomplish in the first place? It was and is obviously just a way to make firearms ownership administratively difficult and it’s intent was to reduce the number of firearms owners by making it annoying and difficult to be one.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 AM

I'll be curious to see the actual regulations for this bill... such as when the OP says "Keep the name of buyer's on file" will they actually be keeping address as well?

I hear a lot of people worried about someone "stealing the list" so they can target homes... has this ever actually happened, or just people worrying about the "what-ifs"?

Last edited by fallen1817; 03-20-2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: There's no "q" in What...
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM

It's the natural next step to a registry.

There's going to be a major security/privacy breach at big retailer, then they'll argue that the data isn't safe anywhere unless it's with the government, in one central and secure place (i.e. a registry).
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Omg .... harder to transport handguns ...... like locked 2xs and ammo separate etc etc wasn't strict enough.

2 cases locked plus trigger locked ?

Love in turdos tweets he says it's not required to show your license ATM , plus there will never be another gun registry with his government .... know what that means ..... gun registry
From the articles, they don’t appear to be changing to and from the range, but now requiring an ATT to gunsmith/shows/“unusual places”. It’s a paperwork change and essentially goes back to the pre-C42 days.

His tweets are technically correct. Right now, there is no requirement in the FA to present a license when buying a firearm. Stores right now can choose to ask to see one and validate, as can private sellers (and pretty much all ask to see at minimum). New law would require seller to validate PAL prior to completing sale.

They aren’t putting in a registry. Even if they now require a store to record sales info, that info becomes useless once you walk out the door.

Other than the CZ and Swiss going back to prohibited status, it looks like meaningless changes right now
Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
It's the natural next step to a registry.

There's going to be a major security/privacy breach at big retailer, then they'll argue that the data isn't safe anywhere unless it's with the government, in one central and secure place (i.e. a registry).
Well considering Trutards big claim to fame is throwing away money on useless services/people this would be a no brainer for him, then again everything is a no brainer for him!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:36 AM

Default who is donation to which party

Now you can see who is supporting those making these proposed changes.

http://special.nationalpost.com/foll...money/database
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-20-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
I hear a lot of people worried about someone "stealing the list" so they can target homes... has this ever actually happened, or just people worrying about the "what-ifs"?
Yes in Saskatoon late 80's the big brown book was stolen from a dealer, thieves used the shopping list to hit several homes including my buddies HK 91 then 9 months later hit some places again knowing the owners had replaced the items.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Now you can see who is supporting those making these proposed changes.

http://special.nationalpost.com/foll...money/database
Weird... Never heard of someone donating to themselves, but I found this in your link. Wonder if they got a tax receipt ?

Quote:
Donor - Political Party - Recipient - Region - Location - Type - Electoral Event - Year - Amount

Kerry Cundal - Alberta Liberal Party - Kerry Cundal - Alberta - N/A - 2017 Alberta Liberal Party Leadership Race - 2017 - $2,883.00
Old 03-20-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
When they want to rob a bank or do a gangland hit they will need a transport permit.
Liberals taking a bite out of crime

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
When they want to rob a bank or do a gangland hit they will need a transport permit.
Liberals taking a bite out of crime

Lol. What I believe is that even the average citizen knows that these steps do nothing to actually stop crime. I mean, seriously, how stupid are people?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Lol. What I believe is that even the average citizen knows that these steps do nothing to actually stop crime. I mean, seriously, how stupid are people?
Stupid enough to have voted for the village idiot in the first place..
Old 03-20-2018, 11:11 AM

How do more gun laws affect criminals?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:13 AM

So now all of the gang bangers who have been buying their handguns at Cabelas will have to show their license and leave their name?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:20 PM

From CSSA:

Liberals release new Firearms Bill C-71

Bill C-71 has been introduced and the CSSA was there. Here is a quick run down of the provisions of this bill.

1. Background checks for criminal violence and any mental illness will be conducted over the life of the individual, not the previous five year period.

2. Both business and private sales of all firearms are subject to computerized license verification. Non-Restricted firearms transfers will not have the information regarding the firearm recorded.

3. Business are required to keep records which will include the individual's information and all information regarding the firearm(s) transferred. The business must keep the records for 20 years unless the business ceases to be a business. In that case all records must be surrendered to the authorities.

4. Authorizations to Transport have been gutted. The only permitted uses are to shooting ranges and Purchase-to-Home, but will still include "all ranges in province". All currently held ATTs will be revoked upon passage of Bill 71.

5. All of the Swiss Arms Classic series and all CZ-858s will be made 12(9) Prohibited. The owners of these rifles will be Grandfathered. Grandfathered individuals will be able to acquire other 12(9) firearms. Grandfathered owners will be permitted to transport these firearms to a range for the purposes of target shooting.

6. The powers of the Governing Council to declare any firearm to be Non-Restricted has been revoked. The Governing Council may still be used to declare any firearms to be restricted or prohibited.

7. UN Firearms Marking will be issued in a Technical amendment.

More to come - Stay tuned.

Last edited by darren32; 03-20-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:25 PM

So it looks like it's as good as a registry because any purchase need to have the license certified and the business have to keep the paper work which the government can freedom of information away from them
Old 03-20-2018, 12:38 PM

Don't know if anyone posted this yet but

Here is the first reading of the bill:

http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en.../first-reading
Old 03-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Banned

There is one benefit to Wholesale Sports going under. There was a whole lot of firearms that entered the private market.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:43 PM

Just remember to thank all those people on this VERY forum who were jumping up and down with GLEE that Harper lost the last election....You have them to thank.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
So it looks like it's as good as a registry because any purchase need to have the license certified and the business have to keep the paper work which the government can freedom of information away from them
Don't most stores in Alberta already do this? I know of one store that still uses the old brown book.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:07 PM

What is to prevent someone from taking a pic of the book which is usually left on the counter and getting PAL numbers and addresses and the like. Pretty easy to do with current smart phones, and someone could likely sell that info. Not difficult for local police to develop their own database that way , either.
PAL numbers can be used for private non face to face transactions, and even if called in, would come up valid. And there certainly could, also be a market for the books themselves these days, in order to do just that. And some bad intentioned entrepreneur could easily hack most stores data systems to get anything recorded online in the store system. They should be setting security standards for it as well, don't see anything mentioned there. Not that I wish that on the store owners, but, there are likely some pretty popular places that have some bad storage practices when it comes to data.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Its not. Its a plan to "appease" firearms owners yet convince the general public they are doing something. As proposed, there is nothing from stopping you to purchasing ten firearms and then selling them in the parking lot. The store has no record of that, they aren't traced, but the law is upheld. For the registry, it was an offense if those private sale firearms weren't registered.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Why is it that whenever we have a Liberal Gov't in power ,the stats are always saying that gun crime is on the rise and when we have a Conservative gov't in power ,it seems to be the opposite? Could it be that someone is manipulating the numbers to enhance their own ideology?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 PM

I'm actually very surprised, I was almost certain that the deadly black scary AR-15 was going to become prohib, and that semi autos in general were going to become restricted or banned. But, 'more to come' means it may still be on the table.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone