Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 AM

Default Wolf Poisoning

Has anyone heard anything about Wolf poisoning in west central Alberta. We have been out lots in Whitecourt, Grande Cache, Hinton, and Edson area and the sign of anything that would eat meat is down big time. We have also seen baits that were obviously dropped by helicopter.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:05 AM

That’s good to hear. I thought the NDP cut the budget on that.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hunter View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Wolf poisoning in west central Alberta. We have been out lots in Whitecourt, Grande Cache, Hinton, and Edson area and the sign of anything that would eat meat is down big time. We have also seen baits that were obviously dropped by helicopter.
If that's the case, all I can say is .. It's about time !
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 AM

I sure hope thats true
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 AM

Great if it's only Wolves but what about the dozens of other animals....
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
small price to pay to save thousands of ungulates and preserve wildlife and hunting areas.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 AM

I hope they are. It would be about 15 years to late but like they say, better late then pregnant.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:13 PM

The wolf numbers are far from down in the whitecourt area.
I have wolves on every trail cam i have out
Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Yukon fish/game needs to take lessons from you Albertans!
Old 01-08-2019, 05:52 PM

I'm not here to try and blast anyone but Whether it is or isn't going on this is a stupid thing to be discussing on a open forum. All it takes is one person to Google wolf posining for this thread to show up. Mods this thread should be deleted
Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopithorne View Post
I'm not here to try and blast anyone but Whether it is or isn't going on this is a stupid thing to be discussing on a open forum. All it takes is one person to Google wolf posining for this thread to show up. Mods this thread should be deleted
Don't sweat it. Apparently it's already been done. Kind of like you want to hide the fact that their doing the right thing.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:21 PM

Default Wolf poisoning

It’s great that they are taking out a lot of the wolves to help even out the balance. The only thing that bothers me is all the other animals that die too. I read somewhere of a guy that found a bait that had been poisoned. He said that he found 1 dead wolf, 3 dead grizzlies, and a ton of dead birds. It said that the ground around the area was absolutely littered with dead chickadees. There’s no doubt that there are too many wolves out there, but couldn’t a bounty for trappers to remove some help the problem. I guess you can’t have the best of both worlds.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
It’s great that they are taking out a lot of the wolves to help even out the balance. The only thing that bothers me is all the other animals that die too. I read somewhere of a guy that found a bait that had been poisoned. He said that he found 1 dead wolf, 3 dead grizzlies, and a ton of dead birds. It said that the ground around the area was absolutely littered with dead chickadees. There’s no doubt that there are too many wolves out there, but couldn’t a bounty for trappers to remove some help the problem. I guess you can’t have the best of both worlds.
It would be great if we could trap them out but we couldn't catch up with the numbers that are currently out there. I was reading about one area that tried it
(somewhere in the US) and they were paying $800.00 per.. split by the County and State .It was pretty successful but very costly.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
There is no shortage of magpies, ravens and apparently grizzlies. I am good with this.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me is all the other animals that die too. I read somewhere of a guy that found a bait that had been poisoned. He said that he found 1 dead wolf, 3 dead grizzlies, and a ton of dead birds.

Shame about the birds.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
The sign of anything eating meat is down maybe because of mice. There seems to be thousands of mice. While walking hundreds of miles hunting and hiking and travelling miles on a horse, I am seeing unusually large numbers of mice. I'm also not seeing any deer kills by coyotes.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Default Wolf poisoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
There is no shortage of magpies, ravens and apparently grizzlies. I am good with this.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you must be joking!
Old 01-08-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Old 01-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Banned

What are they using for poison? Just wondering....
Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer hunter View Post
what are they using for poison? Just wondering....
10-80
Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you must be joking!
Which part? My feelings or my assessment there are lots of Ravens and magpies? Or my guess on Bear numbers?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 AM

This thread stinks like Fake News
Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
10-80
Isn't 10-80 canine specific?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Most of them would have ended up in wolf turds anyway, and there is no shortage of birds.

History and biology have taught us that the only truly effective way to deal with excess wolves is poison. They can out-breed any hunting and most trapping efforts. Though hunting and trapping does help, there needs to be more done to eleminate the wolf infestation.

Also you are full of crap, or trolling, or an anti-hunter. There is no shortage of wolf sign around Edson.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 AM

Default US Bounty

You sure you heard about a US bounty on wolves for $800? They were only recently delisted, few years now. A bounty of $800 in Alberta might actually help, and you get to keep the fur. The present scam offered to some trappers to place trapping equipment and take photos periodically of a set to recieve payment, wiyhout having trapped a single wolf, needs to end.

QUOTE=Salavee;3907609]It would be great if we could trap them out but we couldn't catch up with the numbers that are currently out there. I was reading about one area that tried it
(somewhere in the US) and they were paying $800.00 per.. split by the County and State .It was pretty successful but very costly.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 AM

I agree that this should not be a topic of discussion on a open forum.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Default Lol

You seen alot of wolves eating Chickadees, ravens and bears have ya?
Dont you know you just have to kill all the moose and the wolves leave!
Poison should have died out with the band in my opinion.

QUOTE=3blade;3907980]Most of them would have ended up in wolf turds anyway, and there is no shortage of birds.

History and biology have taught us that the only truly effective way to deal with excess wolves is poison. They can out-breed any hunting and most trapping efforts. Though hunting and trapping does help, there needs to be more done to eleminate the wolf infestation.

Also you are full of crap, or trolling, or an anti-hunter. There is no shortage of wolf sign around Edson.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-09-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
It's like using a broom to do what a Q tip should do. Some unexpected side effects like to make an appearance with wide environmental effects. Not a good idea in my mind.
Grizz
Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM

I don’t believe it’s happening anywhere outside of the caribou areas but I hope it is. After seeing the video evidence of one gbear killing 44 caribou and moose calves in 25 days, and witnessing ravens pull the guts out of my lambs and knock eyes out of my calves, I hope they get a few of them too. They should be able to drop the poison in open areas to avoid killing the marten, fishers and wolverines.

One of my buddies showed me a video he took from a chopper of four wolves killing a cow and calf moose north of Ft St. John just before Christmas. The cow was likely bred, so that’s three moose out of the ecosystem in 30 minutes. Imagine how many moose calves it takes to keep a pack of ten or fifteen wolves going.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Banned

Wmu 406 has been cleaned out of game this past year due to wolves. We had multiple sightings and found many kills in November. Never have I seen it this bad. Packs of 6-8 plus multiple pairs.
Closed Thread