Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 07:28 PM

Default Slave lake hunt in late November

Once again disgusted with what goes on. Last light is 5.12 we leave and out come the spot lights. Please tell me how we can let this still take place. Makes me sick to say the least. We need to finally scrap this “rights” bull crap. Since when is this considered hunting.?. I’m sorry but it’s Time fo all to follow the rules. Nobody should have the right to hunt after dark... let’s wake up and keep it fair for all. Enough is enough. And no “ it’s not your right any longer”

What I saw.

Does killed for only their hind quarters.

Trespassing.

Spot light hunting. Fricken joke.

Stop the insanity.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2269 View Post
Once again disgusted with what goes on. Last light is 5.12 we leave and out come the spot lights. Please tell me how we can let this still take place. Makes me sick to say the least. We need to finally scrap this “rights” bull crap. Since when is this considered hunting.?. I’m sorry but it’s Time fo all to follow the rules. Nobody should have the right to hunt after dark... let’s wake up and keep it fair for all. Enough is enough. And no “ it’s not your right any longer”

What I saw.

Trespassing.

Stop the insanity.
Did you report it?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:47 PM

Seems like you seen an awful lot of unlawfull activity topgun... What was the response from f&w is my question
Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Grew up for a while there and still have a bunch of family there, I could tell you some terrible stories, at least they took some meat, I've seen MANY animals simply shot and left up there. Sickening
Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2269 View Post

What I saw.

Trespassing.

Stop the insanity.
Why should no one have the right to hunt at night? I would actually love to hunt here legally at night. I hunt predators and hogs at night in Texas. I sat on some feeders two nights when I was there for Christmas/ New years. Europe hunts pigs at night. Oh and did I mention suppressors? Yea... All serious machines of mass destruction in Canada.

But I agree, either everyone hunts at night or no one. Many natives like my friend claim that they hunted with fire and lamps from the traders before Canada existed. So I guess the definition of a lantern powered by oil now is a 400w spotlight haha.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Outdoors View Post
Seems like you seen an awful lot of unlawfull activity topgun... What was the response from f&w is my question
Report what? Fish and game can’t do a thing. It’s legal to spot light if you have status.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 PM

Default A tidbit of info on the subject.

An article I come across lately.

Hunting at night not an automatic right

The Morris-Olsen decision from British Columbia in 2006 affirmed the right for Indigenous people to hunt at night, also known as "spotlighting."

Critchlow with the MNRF says a person needs to prove through historical evidence that their community has a tradition of hunting at night.

They also have to ensure the safety of the public, which Critchlow says usually means hunting in a remote area. He remembers a case within city limits of Thunder Bay, where charges stuck against a man who otherwise would have had the right to hunt at night.

While in neighbouring Manitoba, night hunting is such a flashpoint issue that the premier has predicted it could cause a "race war" it hasn't been on the public radar much in Ontario.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:47 PM

I don't agree with shooting guns in the dark for anyone so I would vote against everyone having the right.

So far as letting natives do it as a part of their heritage and tradition, I'm fine with that too. I think all 'status' hunting should be done the way they did it before Europeans showed up. If they want to shoot homemade arrows at moose in the dark, I say have at it.

If using rifles everyone should have to follow the same rules,draws and tags. Rules would also include wasting of meat.

Unfortunately that's just my opinion.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Why should no one have the right to hunt at night? I would actually love to hunt here legally at night. I hunt predators and hogs at night in Texas. I sat on some feeders two nights when I was there for Christmas/ New years. Europe hunts pigs at night. Oh and did I mention suppressors? Yea... All serious machines of mass destruction in Canada.

But I agree, either everyone hunts at night or no one. Many natives like my friend claim that they hunted with fire and lamps from the traders before Canada existed. So I guess the definition of a lantern powered by oil now is a 400w spotlight haha.
Just stop talking
Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I don't agree with shooting guns in the dark for anyone so I would vote against everyone having the right.

So far as letting natives do it as a part of their heritage and tradition, I'm fine with that too. I think all 'status' hunting should be done the way they did it before Europeans showed up. If they want to shoot homemade arrows at moose in the dark, I say have at it.

If using rifles everyone should have to follow the same rules,draws and tags. Rules would also include wasting of meat.

It’s one many of us on here probably/ hopefully share, I know I do.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:36 PM

There's a fair amount to report from your comments in your initial post TopGun
Why make a post with such frustration without any follow up to post or a comment to hold water...
Situations like that can be infuriating absolutely.
What was the outcome with all the illegal activity you witnessed that we all hope you reported?
Old 01-19-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Quit sniffing for a story. I’m telling what is wrong with status rights for hunting. Quit sniffing looks bad on you.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:11 PM

OkThink about what you post on here
No need for a story.
As far as I know status rights don't mean you can trespass, waste meat & so on.

What did you do??
Old 01-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
OkThink about what you post on here
No need for a story.
As far as I know status rights don't mean you can trespass, waste meat & so on.

What did you do??
When did topgun say they were status hunting at night? A few people have already blamed it on them in this thread more than one non status is carrying a spotlight in the truck. There’s some problem areas in Alberta with this very issue there should be a bigger output in attempts to catch so called hunters and then throw the book and everything else you can at them.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
When did topgun say they were status hunting at night? A few people have already blamed it on them in this thread more than one non status is carrying a spotlight in the truck. There’s some problem areas in Alberta with this very issue there should be a bigger output in attempts to catch so called hunters and then throw the book and everything else you can at them.
Read the first paragraph of the first post out loud.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:

what your forming an opinion without any facts? I thought we provided the benefit of the doubt to everything before we do that. Heck you've jumped the gun on a random post that wasnt reported to f&w and no one was charged.

As far as I can tell this is a random rant without much substance behind it. A rant from November posted in Jan!! LOL.

I guess only certain people charged with serious issues get any special consideration around here.

Last edited by R3illy; 01-20-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Read the first paragraph of the first post out loud.
My bad little tired lately new twins at home not much sleep. It’s still a multi heritage problem though and yes some rights should change with the “times” and so do we.