Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 PM

Default Alberta Grazing Lease Issues.....

Hey everyone,
On an upcoming podcast, John and I are going to be diving into a topic that many Alberta hunters find frustrating.... our access system for Grazing leases, and the issues around it. We’ve heard it called “cowboy welfare” before, due to all the perks these lease owners get that much of the public isn’t aware of. If anyone has any information or personal experience, we’d love to hear about it. If there are any links that state what the lease owners are entitled to, we’d also like to get as many facts as possible.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 AM

Call the grazing lease association where you can get facts.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Call the grazing lease association where you can get facts.
That's a great idea. I'd like to hear from that side of the issue too.

Because from the hunter's side of things, it seems like the lease holders have the ability to deny access because they don't feel like letting you on. Or they think enough people already have access, or they just don't call a person back.

Seems like a broken system where grazing lease holders can treat the crown land they rent like private property, even though Albertan's have been given the right to access this land for recreational purposes.

If I'm wrong, someone tell me.

John.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Enjoy the conversation.....entitled and privilidged will spew a few words but after 5 minutes you will find thier credibility is that of the turds...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-21-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
That's a great idea. I'd like to hear from that side of the issue too.

Because from the hunter's side of things, it seems like the lease holders have the ability to deny access because they don't feel like letting you on. Or they think enough people already have access, or they just don't call a person back.

Seems like a broken system where grazing lease holders can treat the crown land they rent like private property, even though Albertan's have been given the right to access this land for recreational purposes.

If I'm wrong, someone tell me.

John.
Are you going to discuss the multiple "recreational users" that go on with out permission each year because they pay taxes and feel "it's their land"?

Or the users that pressure elk through fences hard enough that they break wire and snap posts off and then turn around and just walk away?

What about the users that completely disregard access conditions, cut fence, and then drive on with motorized vehicles?

Will you be discussing that side of things as well?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Are you going to discuss the multiple "recreational users" that go on with out permission each year because they pay taxes and feel "it's their land"?

Or the users that pressure elk through fences hard enough that they break wire and snap posts off and then turn around and just walk away?

What about the users that completely disregard access conditions, cut fence, and then drive on with motorized vehicles?

Will you be discussing that side of things as well?
It sounds like you are saying that you or someone that you know has had or has heard of some bad experiences so you don’t want people using your crown land?
The other side could say that they have heard or know of a few lease holders that abuse the privelage of grazing cattle on crown land.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
It sounds like you are saying that you or someone that you know has had or has heard of some bad experiences so you don’t want people using your crown land?
I'm just saying that both sides need to be discussed for it to be a valid conversation. Other wise its just a biased topic with a predetermined outcome.

This year we had 40+ recreational users use our 1/2 section of grazing lease; I have no problem with people using it as long as the access conditions are followed.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying that both sides need to be discussed for it to be a valid conversation. Other wise its just a biased topic with a predetermined outcome.

This year we had 40+ recreational users use our 1/2 section of grazing lease; I have no problem with people using it as long as the access conditions are followed.
I agree that both sides should be discussed. If only one side speaks then there is no system of checks and balances.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I agree that both sides should be discussed. If only one side speaks then there is no system of checks and balances.
Couldn't agree more
Old 01-21-2019, 07:12 AM

Referring to grazing leases as “cowboy welfare” demonstrates that you are completely biased and don’t know WTF you’re talking about. I leased 6 quarters of land (bid on at a public auction), bought a dozer, spent all winter clearing fence lines, worked my guts out fencing through the muskeg and beaver dams, burned a bunch more deisel discing down the fence lines, and then over the next few years spent >$50 000 on clearing brush, discing, grass seed, burning piles, re-piling, etc. You may want to do a little researching before putting all lease holders in the same basket. There are some that inherited 10 000 acres of lease and are making a bundle off the surface rent, but most lease holders work hard to maintain the productivity and receive no surface rent.

Also, grazing leases are traded on the open market and sell for what ever the market will bear. I don’t know why everyone is so against that.

Coal companies, oil companies, camp grounds, golf courses, ski resorts, sawmills, etc are all making money of crown land and I don’t hear any of them referred to as welfare recipients.

I gave my lease to my brother, in case anyone is wondering how many millions of dollars I made off my investment.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-21-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Both sides would be great.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-21-2019, 08:16 AM
Banned

Gee sounds like a podcast that's just gonna crap all over farmers. Heres an idea. If you don't like it go get your own leases? We had one, it had oil revenue, it was cheap to buy and the oil paid for it and it was less than $100k and it bordered the NS river and had crownland next to it. Just start looking for available leases and quit crying cause the "cowboys" got em. Nothing is stopping hunters from getting a lease. Guys wanna spend $30k on back country hunts year after year well I guess it's about priorities.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Gee sounds like a podcast that's just gonna crap all over farmers. Heres an idea. If you don't like it go get your own leases? We had one, it had oil revenue, it was cheap to buy and the oil paid for it and it was less than $100k and it bordered the NS river and had crownland next to it. Just start looking for available leases and quit crying cause the "cowboys" got em. Nothing is stopping hunters from getting a lease. Guys wanna spend $30k on back country hunts year after year well I guess it's about priorities.
Your making a great case.

Leases are crown land by the way.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-21-2019, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Your making a great case.

Leases are crown land by the way.
Yeah I'm aware of that. You still "purchase" the lease. You clearly knew what I meant but you felt the need to get on your horse to shout down to me.

My point is is that anyone can go ahead and rent a lease from the crown. Why don't groups of hunters go out and rent leases and put some meat horses on them? Our lease was so thick they put horses in it cause you'd never get cattle out of there. We lost a couple horses from what we assume was a cougar (genesee area)

I'm just saying the biased views about farmers is disgusting.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah I'm aware of that. You still "purchase" the lease. You clearly knew what I meant but you felt the need to get on your horse to shout down to me.

My point is is that anyone can go ahead and rent a lease from the crown. Why don't groups of hunters go out and rent leases and put some meat horses on them? Our lease was so thick they put horses in it cause you'd never get cattle out of there. We lost a couple horses from what we assume was a cougar (genesee area)

Why should people pay for land that they already have the right to access?? It’s public land and we can all share it. The lease holder makes revenue from their activities so they should pay. But the average user does not profit so why would they pay??
Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:

No not just anyone can go rent a crown lease.

LC
Old 01-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Banned

It would be wise for the op to talk to a lawyer before going forward with their podcast
I know if I listened to it and got bad info I would be suing their hides
Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Here is what we need to know.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?pa...=9780779748112

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
It would be wise for the op to talk to a lawyer before going forward with their podcast
What? It’s a pod cast not legal info. Sue? That mentality is what’s wrong with the world today.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Banned

I think what he’s trying to say is that this issue is going to ruffle a lot of feathers. I don’t think there’s a way to **** off landowners more than when people come marching and “knowing” the regulations
Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Banned

Chances are this will cause a lot more farmer to deny access where they can
Old 01-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Why should people pay for land that they already have the right to access?? It’s public land and we can all share it. The lease holder makes revenue from their activities so they should pay. But the average user does not profit so why would they pay??
Well when you rent the lease YOU are paying. Why should someone who pays for that lease just allow anyone to march on in as they please?

Quote:
What does it cost leaseholders to develop and maintain a grazing lease?
Leaseholders have a number of costs to provide proper stewardship and maintain a grazing
lease. There are both long-term capital costs and annual operating costs. Some examples are:
Capital Costs
x Fence building and rebuilding
x Rangeland improvements
x Construction of buildings or corrals to manage livestock
x Road construction
x Fire protection and prevention
x Dugout development
x Watering system development
Annual Operating Costs
x Rent payments to the Government of Alberta
x Property taxes payable to the municipality
x Direct labour
x Supplemental feed costs
x Maintenance of roads, buildings, corrals, fencing and rangelands
x Multiple use costs.
From albertagrazinglease.ca

So it costs the farmers, how would you feel if they charged you a maintenance fee?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

You would be suing someone for information you received on a podcast??? What would your defense be? Thats like breaking a hunting law or trespass law based on what you read on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
You would be suing someone for information you received on a podcast??? What would your defense be? Thats like breaking a hunting law or trespass law based on what you read on this forum

Everything you read or hear on the inter web is factual
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I believe that quote is from Abraham Lincoln himself.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

I do believe this as well its what I base all my legal advice on

This is a hot topic and has bad apples on both sides. But this comes down to the same issue as the bighorn, and other ohv vs environment debates, enforcement. We need more enforcement on the rules that are currently in place. More officers for patrolling etc during season. More parks guys patrolling the ohv abusers. If your not breaking the law you should have no issues. If you run into an abusive lease holder use the system if you really want to access the land.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
I do believe this as well its what I base all my legal advice on

This is a hot topic and has bad apples on both sides. But this comes down to the same issue as the bighorn, and other ohv vs environment debates, enforcement. We need more enforcement on the rules that are currently in place. More officers for patrolling etc during season. More parks guys patrolling the ohv abusers. If your not breaking the law you should have no issues. If you run into an abusive lease holder use the system if you really want to access the land.

One thing I ran into up in high prairie one year was we found a lease bordering some crown and the grass was all 3ft high, no livestock had been in there all year. SO we called the guy and left a message. The next morning we drove by and shocker, there magically appeared cattle. Clearly he let them out that evening after receiving our voicemail. Yeah is made us mad but we kept on our way.

One thing is, if the lease is local or closer to where you live or if you really wanna hunt there what's stopping you from helping the farmer around the lease? A lot of farmers are up there in age and I'm sure they could use a hand maintaining that lease they pay for.

Every year when it comes to late season elk hunting I always hear people say "go in the summer, make friends with the farmer, help him out and he'll likely give you permission." It works.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Banned

Public lands are the foundation of hunting in this province. Cattle and resource development can coexist however should only be seen as a portion of the value these lands have to future generations of Albertans. Poor previous government public land management shouldn't be viewed as the baseline.
With our province slowly going broke, the liquidation of these lands is being considered. This is a disaster in the making. IMO.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Buckhorn2;3916171]You would be suing someone for information you received on a podcast??? What would your defense be? Thats like breaking a hunting law or trespass law based on what you read on this forum

What’s the point of doing the podcast if your spreading bs info?