Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 11:40 PM

Default Non draw archery moose. Wmu ideas?

Venturing somewhere new since i am now without points.
Can anyone offer a suggestion where no draw is required, to have a chance at a bull? Will fly in, boat the rivers, rapel in and sky dive if necessary!
Im leaning towards the North West. Peace country? Kakwa? Any ideas?
Thanks for anything you have to offer.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 AM
Banned

Bow zone
Old 01-22-2019, 07:50 AM

Default Bow zone bull

If you can get access in the Calgary bow zone, that’s where i would go... a non hunting friend of mine has a little 30 acre hobby farm southeast of Big Hill Springs Park, and called me in late September to tell me he had a few moose in behind his house and if i wanted to come shoot one. Said the bull “looked okay”. So i set up a stand, my son and i sat one night - i cow called, let out a couple bull grunts, and this bugger came straight in to take a grim reaper through the chest. He’s 55” wide, made for some phenomenal smoked roasts, and the euro mount looks great above the fireplace!
Access can be difficult in that zone, so if you’re not able to get hooked up, i would suggest heading north of whitecourt. There’s a couple of zones open for bow season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B6E73A74-820F-48E0-A3B5-1032509EA42F.jpg (66.8 KB, 561 views)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 PM
Banned

I think your kinda sol these days for archery moose without a draw
The most you get for general season is like 6 days well before the rut
Undersubscribed would be your best bet
Old 01-22-2019, 01:12 PM

Same answer as general elk. Whatever zone that has a general archery season and is close enough to your house for you to scout all year, to keep track of where they are. Pre rut moose don’t move very much, you have to get into his bedroom.

There was a thread (in the archery section iirc) within the last couple years from a member that did this. I know of several guys who do the same in different zones. You aren’t going to parachute into a zone you know nothing about and be successful.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Same answer as general elk. Whatever zone that has a general archery season and is close enough to your house for you to scout all year, to keep track of where they are. Pre rut moose don’t move very much, you have to get into his bedroom.

There was a thread (in the archery section iirc) within the last couple years from a member that did this. I know of several guys who do the same in different zones. You aren’t going to parachute into a zone you know nothing about and be successful.
x2
Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
If you can get access in the Calgary bow zone, that’s where i would go... a non hunting friend of mine has a little 30 acre hobby farm southeast of Big Hill Springs Park, and called me in late September to tell me he had a few moose in behind his house and if i wanted to come shoot one. Said the bull “looked okay”. So i set up a stand, my son and i sat one night - i cow called, let out a couple bull grunts, and this bugger came straight in to take a grim reaper through the chest. He’s 55” wide, made for some phenomenal smoked roasts, and the euro mount looks great above the fireplace!
Access can be difficult in that zone, so if you’re not able to get hooked up, i would suggest heading north of whitecourt. There’s a couple of zones open for bow season.
Great bull for sure! I have never actually considered any of the bow zones around the Majors, just seemed like it would be a conjested hunt, homes, etc.
But thats not based on any personal evidence. I will have to have a look at that as well.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Venturing somewhere new since i am now without points.
Can anyone offer a suggestion where no draw is required, to have a chance at a bull? Will fly in, boat the rivers, rapel in and sky dive if necessary!
Im leaning towards the North West. Peace country? Kakwa? Any ideas?
Thanks for anything you have to offer.
You could check out the harvest reports for these zones.
212 is only 15% success btw, access is tough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B9AF5288-F141-4CDF-9762-1F1F2F0B7E05.jpg (47.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:23 PM

Is it just me or is it also insanely stupid that archery seasons open September 5th in 404-410? What is so wrong about August 25th like the rest of the damn public land zones?
Old 01-24-2019, 02:12 PM

Enjoy general archery moose season while it lasts.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
Is it just me or is it also insanely stupid that archery seasons open September 5th in 404-410? What is so wrong about August 25th like the rest of the damn public land zones?

It’s when it closes that’s the big problem. These zones close before the rut, pretty difficult to hunt moose like that. Especially with a bow.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It’s when it closes that’s the big problem. These zones close before the rut, pretty difficult to hunt moose like that. Especially with a bow.
That's the intention. They want the success rate low so it can remain open as general..
Old 01-24-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
That's the intention. They want the success rate low so it can remain open as general..
I get why they close it before the rut but why open it ten days later in the first place?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I get why they close it before the rut but why open it ten days later in the first place?
Why does it matter? It’s a shorter season anyway and who wants to shoot a moose that early in the season anyway. They want a shorter season to reduce chances of success that’s it in a nutshell.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
That is to avoid long weekend traffic with hikers.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Why does it matter? It’s a shorter season anyway and who wants to shoot a moose that early in the season anyway. They want a shorter season to reduce chances of success that’s it in a nutshell.
It matters because I don’t think it is to reduce chances, and it matters to me personally because if it started earlier I can get in some hunting time before classes start, I would love to shoot a moose that early because I have my spots where there are consistently moose in bow range. I’m just saying that I personally don’t believe there is any valid reason (“conflicts” with other recreational users isn’t a valid enough reason imo)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:29 PM

Default Anyone ever see any

Anyone ever see any moose in 410? Elk? Deer?
Sheep of course, if your lucky.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 PM

I’ve never seen a moose in 410. Elk and deer yes but zero moose
Old 01-27-2019, 07:41 AM

248/250/505 has the highest moose density in the province....no draw archery in 248 if you can get access.
Aside from that I’d look at the foothill zones that have the later Sept 23 closure vs Sept .17....chance for better (cooler)weather and better response to calling.
That said, I’ve cow called bulls in as early as Sept 5th just fooling around,and many from 10th to 17th both hunting and just for fun.

Last edited by West O'5; 01-27-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 PM

Calgary or Edmonton bow zones - have had lots of luck in both
Old 02-27-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
that's a great bull. congratulations!
I would be more than Happy to hit 55" in Alberta.