Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Default Transporting firearms thru provincial parks

In the past, when riding my horse and carrying a rifle in a scabbard I have pulled the bolt and slid a wool sleeve over the exposed stock that sticks out the end of my scabbard.

My question is if the rifle is unloaded, inside a scabbard, with a sleeve covering the stock do you need to pull the bolt?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 PM

It is just good insurance. Disassembled is just another criteria.
They sure know you are not hunting in the park if the rifle is incapable of shooting.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 PM

I would pull the bolt for sure!

Quote from the regs:
If not in the process of hunting in a Provincial Park or Provincial
Recreation Area that has an open season, all firearms must be unloaded,
encased or dismantled.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 PM

it's a fine line, simply taking the gun out of a case in the vehicle that is parked in a rec area and transferring it to a saddle scabbard or pack frame could be a violation IF someone were to follow the letter of the law. i'd trigger lock it just in case.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
it's a fine line, simply taking the gun out of a case in the vehicle that is parked in a rec area and transferring it to a saddle scabbard or pack frame could be a violation IF someone were to follow the letter of the law. i'd trigger lock it just in case.
Here is a cut and past from SRD.

[I]In general, hunting or discharging a firearm (or bow) is prohibited in Provincial Parks and Provincial Recreation Areas. There are elk seasons in Cypress Hills Provincial Park and big game and game bird seasons in Blue Rapids, Fickle Lake, Wapiabi, Cooking Lake-Blackfoot, the northwest corner of Evan-Thomas, Sulphur Gates, and Lakeland Provincial Recreation Areas. Firearms discharge permits are required to hunt in all provincial parks and recreation areas other than Lakeland Provincial Recreation Area, Blue Rapids Provincial Recreation Area, Fickle Lake Provincial Recreation Area, and Wapiabi Provincial Recreation Area. Orientation sessions may also be required before hunting is permitted in a Provincial Park or Provincial Recreation Area. For more information on firearm discharge permits and orientation sessions for hunting in Provincial Parks or Provincial Recreation Areas please visit albertaparks.ca
If not in the process of hunting in a Provincial Park or Provincial Recreation Area that has an open season, all firearms must be unloaded, encased or dismantled./I]

It says, unloaded, encased or dismantled.

In other words... unloaded or encased or dismantled.

You won't get nailed for going from vehicle to scabbard unless it is loaded.
Unless the info SRD gives is an incorrect typo or misinterpreted.

If they wanted them unloaded and encased or dismantled... you could get nailed transferring from vehicle to scabbard but as it is written you should be fine.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Default Encased

While traveling through Sheep River Provincial Park last hunting season I stopped and talked with a CO and he inspected my gun which was in my backpack scabbard and had a cover made for the backpack covering my gun stock. The gun was unloaded with the bolt in. He said this was fine as the gun was unloaded and completely covered in my backpack. If the but stock cover wasn't on he said he could charge me. He said this was also fine if I was hiking through a park to a hunting area.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Here is a cut and past from SRD.

[I]In general, hunting or discharging a firearm (or bow) is prohibited in Provincial Parks and Provincial Recreation Areas. There are elk seasons in Cypress Hills Provincial Park and big game and game bird seasons in Blue Rapids, Fickle Lake, Wapiabi, Cooking Lake-Blackfoot, the northwest corner of Evan-Thomas, Sulphur Gates, and Lakeland Provincial Recreation Areas. Firearms discharge permits are required to hunt in all provincial parks and recreation areas other than Lakeland Provincial Recreation Area, Blue Rapids Provincial Recreation Area, Fickle Lake Provincial Recreation Area, and Wapiabi Provincial Recreation Area. Orientation sessions may also be required before hunting is permitted in a Provincial Park or Provincial Recreation Area. For more information on firearm discharge permits and orientation sessions for hunting in Provincial Parks or Provincial Recreation Areas please visit albertaparks.ca
If not in the process of hunting in a Provincial Park or Provincial Recreation Area that has an open season, all firearms must be unloaded, encased or dismantled./I]

It says, unloaded, encased or dismantled.

In other words... unloaded or encased or dismantled.

You won't get nailed for going from vehicle to scabbard unless it is loaded.
Unless the info SRD gives is an incorrect typo or misinterpreted.

If they wanted them unloaded and encased or dismantled... you could get nailed transferring from vehicle to scabbard but as it is written you should be fine.
you added an extra or in there that makes it your interpretation of the the wording of the law. i believe you and many others are incorrect. think about it,walking around in a provincial park full of campers with an uncased weapon... heck you can't even drive your atv out of a provincial campground to the trail and your saying you can walk around with an unloaded weapon...you can't drive on the road during hunting season in a wildlife corridor with an uncased weapon. do you believe these santuaries have greater protection than a provincial park? the letter of the law....
Old 09-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Straight from the Provincial Parks Act, General Regulation

Section 46(4)A person who is in possession of a firearm in a provincial park or recreation area shall ensure that the firearm is unloaded and

(a) in a condition such that the barrel and stock are separated and taken apart, or

(b) completely enclosed in a case or other covering designed for that purpose

unless the person is engaged in an activity in which the discharge of a firearm is allowed under subsection (1.1).

So it has to be taken apart or fully covered or cased. A blanket is not sufficient. As has been mentioned earlier. If you can see any part of the gun you can get a ticket.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:03 PM

I put mine in a gun sock and strap it to my pack,
unloaded of course.