Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Question never fished TRAVERS looking for pointers

hi all...
never fished walleye before looking to give TRAVERS a try next week. if anyone has some pointers they would like to share that would be great.
i have never fished at TRAVERS don't know where i should start,what depth i should try and target , what kind of bait (spoons,jigs,plugs) i should try, what size of fish are in there and is there lots.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT AND COULD SAVE ME ALOT OF TIME CATCHING NOTHIONG...
Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 AM

Travers has quite a few pretty nice sized walleye. The Trick there is Finding them You can go somwhere an catch a hundred fish one day go back the next an you wont even get a bite. So knowing this I usualy use a bottom bouncer with crawler harness and troll the Drops and weed edges. Once you locate em then drop a jig down if you prefer i usualy just keep trolling through where the fish are. There is alot of nice structure in the lake an when you find the fish you will have a blast. at least when the walleye are invisible the pike are usualy willing to bite. Ive had sucess in 6 to 8 feet of water and also in 18 to 22 feet but like i say Every day is a new adventure there.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Try jigging with leaches or crawlers in the current off the spillway. I have found that to be very productive in June.

Tim
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 PM

Been out there 4 times this year dirtyman, just like Gordoats put in his post, the fish can be hard to find ! the spillway is a good place to fish if ya don't mind the 20 boats all around you, tho its not rocking now the water coming into the lake is very slow so the fish are not around there now like they should be this time of year, the lake is very high but we put some nice fish in the boat last weekend, i would start in one of 2 places, wolf bay or in front of the bible camp, put the boat in at little bow and head down the lake till you come to the big Y stay to the right and find wolf bay ( ya cant miss it ) the fish will be in there come July, they are however just outside the bay now up against the high rock shore, find the 2 shelf's the depth will be from 8 feet down to about 24, ride that shelf with a white jig and a minnow it works well, the bible camp is down the other end of the lake ( left at the Y ) its on the right hand side looking at the spillway, need to troll it a lot to find the schools but some good fish there as well, move the bate VERRY SLOW this time of year, in July just hang on tight to your rod its a blast.

might see ya there good luck
Old 06-07-2008, 08:11 AM

Default thanks

thanks for the tips guys gunna give it a shot..i'll let ya know how it goes..

thanks again
Old 06-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Default re

Yeah the spillway as it is right now is pretty slow!! Me and Duster sat there all day last saturday. We put countless numbers of snot rockets in the boat but only 3 walleye. I too like the idea of crawler harness and troll around. Macgregor is fun too, you might have better luck there but you can't keep walleye.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Default Shallow Spots

Be carefull there are some shallow spots in the lake that are a ways from the shore line I was in there last summer and smashed the prop off the boat. Does that ever make it hard to load back on the trailer.
I have talked to others and they have done the samething, and the shallows are not maker off.
Use Caution
Old 06-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Be carefull there are some shallow spots in the lake that are a ways from the shore line I was in there last summer and smashed the prop off the boat. Does that ever make it hard to load back on the trailer.
I have talked to others and they have done the samething, and the shallows are not maker off.
Use Caution
Where did this happen? I haven't run into a spot like that on Travers and I would like to keep it that way. Any info for the rest of us may save us some costly repair bills.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Yea, if ya had a map of the lake maybe you could mark it somehow and post a pic Off in the Bushes?? Not sure how else youd explain it??? But id sure love to know as well.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-08-2008, 07:16 AM

It was last year, and all that I remember about it was the it was on the north side of the lake and, it was east of the town site that is on the point and we where at least 75 yards from the bank, you can see concrete slabs that have been pulled on to shore. The shallow spot gave no indication that it was indeed shallow and then bang the boat tail jumped up about 6 inches. I swung the boat around to see what I had hit and there was nothing exposed, and the water was not clear enough to find it. I lifted the tail and the prop had three fins that where now mangled.
It was the maiden voyage on my own with my father inlaws boat, try telling him that you wrecked his boat. Well for $150 I got it repropped, and all is good.
I am not good loading a boat at the best of times, try lining it up to the trailer with a finless prop.