Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 04:29 AM

Default New Acrhery indoor lanes

Hey guys and girls.

We are looking to expand our indoor range to another part of edmonton or sherwood Park. What we would like is feed back as to what people would like to see. We are looking to cater to families and kids to help promote the value of using a bow for hunting and target practice. Its a great way to exercise,be competitive and be social. It is hard to set the same prices on equipment with the big chain stores however we are open to suggestions. Not looking to make millions but to keep the doors open more than a year or 2 for sure. Thank you all in advance and we look forward to hearing from you.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:30 AM

Pretty tough go to make an archery lane work. Will need a full proshop and likely have to carry some different brands or products than the other shops carry. Rent on floor space is high compared to the returns. There are currently 3x 20 yard max ranges operating that do not require membership and 2 others that do. IMHO, it's kind of a saturated market up here in Edmonton. I wish you the best!

LC
Old 12-12-2017, 07:33 AM

I really like the long 40 yard option at the Calgary archery centre. Get a long building
Old 12-12-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I really like the long 40 yard option at the Calgary archery centre. Get a long building
40 or more yards indoor would be nice up here. I think the $$$ return on the floor space would be pretty tough!

LC
Old 12-12-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
40 or more yards indoor would be nice up here. I think the $$$ return on the floor space would be pretty tough!

LC
X2 - Unless you're paying peanuts for the floor space this may be a tough endeavor. I would still like to wish you the best of luck however because it would be nice if it took off. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:06 AM

I think the ticket would be a rural location, very close to the city, that would have indoor 20 yards lanes and outdoor lanes out to 60. The outdoor could be something like the setup at the SPFGA range. There is plenty of winter days that a person could shoot indoors then head outside for 20-30 minutes for some long range practice. I think that the place west of Millet use to offer this type of facility and stayed fairly busy. I imagine a location closer to the city would be even busier. Have a small pro shop with press, paper tuner and chrony. A couple of good selling brands like Hoyt, BowTech, PSE or Mathews and you might have a winner. I would look at the Leduc area as there is nothing on the south side of town.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
X2 - Unless you're paying peanuts for the floor space this may be a tough endeavor.
There's some pretty cheap space out there, particularly if you're willing to take some sub-lease space on a shorter term. Give me a shout and I'll connect you with some of our folks who do that sort of leasing.
Chris
780-905-7562
Old 12-12-2017, 12:41 PM

South Edmonton or Beaumont or Leduc. The issue is today there is nowhere we can go on the south side as the two good ones are Jim Bows in the North, and Sherwood Park. Accurate archery is awesome but no shooting lanes. The other is in Spruce Grove...far west out of Edmonton.

Also there are numerous cost effective options in the Beaumont and Leduc areas as well for space.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Crac

I checked out the Capital Region Archery Club once, looks good but $700.00 bucks for a family membership is a bit steep for this guy. I'll stick with the fresh air at SPFGA for now and the weather has been quite mild lately.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Lots of warehouse space in Nisku right now..... just saying!
Old 12-12-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
I checked out the Capital Region Archery Club once, looks good but $700.00 bucks for a family membership is a bit steep for this guy. I'll stick with the fresh air at SPFGA for now and the weather has been quite mild lately.
$700? Wow thats a lot of drop in range visits.

LC
Old 12-12-2017, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the great replies everyone, this is why I chose to post here. I know it may not make a lot of money but to get people the exposure to the sport and a place to practice while being social is the main objective.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Sherwood Park

There was a pretty loyal following at TnT but just too expensive rent. I think you could get a good following again if you could make the finances work
Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdaddy View Post
Thanks for the great replies everyone, this is why I chose to post here. I know it may not make a lot of money but to get people the exposure to the sport and a place to practice while being social is the main objective.
I'd say you are in it for the wrong reasons. Making money should be the driving force behind every business venture. Unless you want to run a charity.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdaddy View Post
Hey guys and girls.

We are looking to expand our indoor range to another part of edmonton or sherwood Park. What we would like is feed back as to what people would like to see. We are looking to cater to families and kids to help promote the value of using a bow for hunting and target practice. Its a great way to exercise,be competitive and be social. It is hard to set the same prices on equipment with the big chain stores however we are open to suggestions. Not looking to make millions but to keep the doors open more than a year or 2 for sure. Thank you all in advance and we look forward to hearing from you.
I would recommend opening a 2 story - 40 metre lane (s), life a golf range, with lounge, key card access 24 hours. with a no-brain programmable buzzer/countdown clock. Millwoods or Beaumont (SE) would draw the most archers because there is nothing in the SE quadrant of Edmonton.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I would recommend opening a 2 story - 40 metre lane (s), life a golf range, with lounge, key card access 24 hours. with a no-brain programmable buzzer/countdown clock. Millwoods or Beaumont (SE) would draw the most archers because there is nothing in the SE quadrant of Edmonton.
In addition I would have online booking. 1 hours time slots with a $10 fine for a "no show". I would definitely hit the place at 4-5 am on the way to work. Better than the gym.

Tags
archery., family, hunting, sports