Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default The wait is almost over

After ordering a Nula in 6.5 Creedmoor over a year ago the wait is almost over, and it couldn't have come at a better time!

It was a tough call on the choice of cartridge. First it was a 7mm-08, then it was a 6.5x284, then 260ai, and finally settling on a 6.5 Creedmoor. With Melvin moving up in years I wanted a model 20 to get a "true" Melvin Forbes ultralight rifle. Even with it being a custom order Nula there were still a bit of limitations that prevented me from getting a 6.5x284 Norma in a short action model 20. Then there was barrel life to take into consideration as well as shootability. I want this to be my do all go to rifle and plan on running a lot of lead through the pipe. Although I have all the equipment and enjoy reloading, I wanted a cartridge I can buy relatively cheap ammo for in most stores. With the versatility of the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge, it's sky rocketing popularity, it being relatively easy on barrels and shoulders, I came to the conclusion that this would be my best option.

The rifle has now cleared customs and is en route to Prophet River! With any luck I will have it in my hands within a week, which is really welcome news in light of the fact I recently broke my leg and had surgery on it so I am semi confined to my house at least until my incisions heal and I get the stitches out to prevent the risk of infection. I'll have plenty of time to look my new addition over butt to tip!

Pics to come once it arrives!
Old 05-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Banned

can't wait to see this bad boy, the 6.5 creedmoor is the shizzle, it will take over the world
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
can't wait to see this bad boy, the 6.5 creedmoor is the shizzle, it will take over the world
Ha! When you look on paper it's quite the cartridge for sure. It outshines the 308 in pretty much every aspect except popularity....... for now. I honestly do believe it will eventually be as popular as the 308 considering it was just developed in 2007.

I enjoy shooting smaller cartridges more than the boomers, I sold off all my magnums and have started a new phase in my collection. I've moved on to strictly light or ultra light rifles, and smaller calibers (nothing over .284). Thinned out the rifle herd to a Ruger No 1 in 270, an M70 featherweight in 280rem, a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 280ai, a Nula model 24 in 280ai, and the new kid on the block, the Nula model 20 in 6.5 Creedmoor, along with a couple model 70 243's, a model 88 308 and a marlin 30-30 from the late 1800's that I don't shoot too often.

I think of all the rifles I have now the 6.5 Creedmoor will see the most use by far. I can't wait to break it in.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Banned

yup, your 280ai will be the magnum of the bunch

you'll need a nula model 20 short in 6.5 Grendel a 1/4 lb lighter and be little brother that creedmoor for even more fun shooting and barrel life up the whazzoo
Old 05-08-2018, 11:53 AM

I almost posted in your that'll leave a mark thread, that you hurting yourself would guarantee your nula would be arriving imminently (since you won't be able to play around with it right away). Decided not to do it, because it seemed somewhat in poor taste. But now that your nula is showing up ....
Old 05-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
I almost posted in your that'll leave a mark thread, that you hurting yourself would guarantee your nula would be arriving imminently (since you won't be able to play around with it right away). Decided not to do it, because it seemed somewhat in poor taste. But now that your nula is showing up ....

Almost makes the pain go away!