Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 07:06 PM

Default What would you do with this bow set up?

Hey guys, I have decided to get back into bow hunting this year. I actually never really got into it after I shot a moose and lost it. Never got over it and put the bow in the shed for maybe 15 years now. Any way I have an older PSE The Beast, Left Hand, Cobra mechanical release and eleven Easton XX75 2315 lite aluminum arrows, HHA 3 pin sight as well as a Carolina biscuit rest.I will need to replace some nocks as they have come loose and some are missing. I will need practice points as well as broad heads .
Based on what I have described, what would you change or add and of coarse any suggestions or comments you might have. I have no idea what poundage my bow is set at but I know it was pretty hard pulling it back today.
Thanks
Old 08-17-2018, 07:29 PM
Banned

My advise would be first off get a dozen Carbon arrows. They will stay true and give you consistent accuracy. I would have to see the rest of your equipment to give you my opinion on it. Bows have come a long way in the past 15yrs, like a long long way. If you want to get into a newer bow for cheap I've got a Cabelas branded Bowtech fortitude with adjustable draw length, 50-60# limbs in mint condition set up and ready to hunt I'd sell you for $330.

Here's a pic of it if you're interested. It's just sitting in my basement collecting dust.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:36 PM

My advise would be to go to a pro shop and get it looked over by a good bow technician. That person could decide if the bow is safe to shoot if it was safe to shoot I would practice with it as it is, and with that set up if you are disciplined you will be able to take game with it. If you decide that bow hunting is for you after that, then I would look at upgrading over the winter.

This allows you to evaluate whether or not you really want to do it, and also gives you time to decide the level of commitment you want as far as how much you want to spend upgrading.. buying a used bow as an upgrade that is already a number of years old and may not have some of the technology that you want may leave you trying to flog it in favor of a newer higher end bow in just a few months time.

Seen it before, lots.

Norm
Old 08-18-2018, 06:07 PM

Stopped in at Jimbows today, Carson had a look at my set up and gave the thumbs up. Said to me, practice, practice, practice and go hunting! Suggested to me that after this season , I would be in a better position to decide wether or not i wanted to get into a new system. Yes he said my bow was old school compared to the advancements that have been made over the last 15 years, but that my bow was in great shape and that it would still perform if I do my part. I really enjoyed my time there and felt no pressure to buy anything. Great service in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Stopped in at Jimbows today, Carson had a look at my set up and gave the thumbs up. Said to me, practice, practice, practice and go hunting! Suggested to me that after this season , I would be in a better position to decide wether or not i wanted to get into a new system. Yes he said my bow was old school compared to the advancements that have been made over the last 15 years, but that my bow was in great shape and that it would still perform if I do my part. I really enjoyed my time there and felt no pressure to buy anything. Great service in my opinion.
That's perfect. Carson is a very solid dude!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:29 PM

I hear yha SB.

The only thing I up graded for my old bow was new carbon arrows. Ha.

Then I jumped into Recurve Trad bow 2 years ago.

Old school rocks since there is no need to improve what I have.

17 to 25 feet is long distance from my tree stand. Ha
Old 08-19-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
It must have been a great bow best PSE is still selling a "Beast" in 2018

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/2018...pound-bow.html
Old 08-19-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
I hear yha SB.

The only thing I up graded for my old bow was new carbon arrows. Ha.

Then I jumped into Recurve Trad bow 2 years ago.

Old school rocks since there is no need to improve what I have.

17 to 25 feet is long distance from my tree stand. Ha
I second this sentiment....

I'm shooting a Hoyt I bought in 2000 or 2001 -- wanted to upgrade a few times over the year.... but something always held me back

mainly it is the fact that my Hoyt still kills deer.

Also think about the fact that your "old" compound is still highly advanced compared to traditional stick bows which have killed things for tens of thousands of years.

Stick with the aluminum arrows at least until you decide what you are going to do in the long run. I am switching bank to aluminum this year - want a heavy arrow for more KE.

Also looking into a trad rig for next year....still dreaming of building my own self-bow from scratch.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:30 AM

Yes'er DH

I did the frugal take-down bow.
Its been one of those travel partners that is alot of fun to use where ever my wheels take my.

My expensive bow now hangs on the wall as the partly modified Trad bow consumes my time.

I tried the instinctive shooting stuff that the folks on "The Push Pod Cast" do,,, but pin sights allow me to get onto target faster. Ha

Low pound-age limbs for practic, stiffer limbs for hunting.

The Take-down ILF bow was $220 Usd funds,,, extra limbs $70, Trophy Book Archery supplies my arrows.

Ice fishing / Archery camp is the plan again this winter. Lots of fun putting these 2 hobbies together.

I have to thank many Trad archery folks for getting me up to speed,,, the art of learning is key to Trad tuning.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:01 PM

Default advice

Use what you have like Carson suggested! Jim Bows has never steered me wrong on advice when i needed it
Old 05-11-2019, 03:16 AM

I just realized, you and I have the same bow, Sitting Bull!

(Lefty, too!)

And yup, Carson is a great guy to deal with.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:02 AM

Your fine with that set-up.

You could spend 4-$500 USD for a completely set up bow off ArcheryTalk.

It's a buyer's market for used bows.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
It's a buyer's market for used bows.
Especially lefties!