Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 AM

Default Trapline ID-- more info

I bought the fur management map for Alberta to get the number of the trapline in my area. Can I get the name of who traps it somewhere or is all protected under the "freedom of information".
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 AM

I believe this is public information, same as a land title. You can pull a Public standing report that has this information, but you need an online account to do so. It may be possible to approach a forestry officer in the area, they might be able to provide the name, but I'm not certain.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM

Default Trapper ID

This information is very dificult to come by since the Greenies would love to get it.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM

It's all public info, pm me the tpa number and I will send you the info.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Banned

Are either the "wanting to Know" or the "let ME, let ME" individual, trappers? If not, what are you wanting to know this info for. Is it really of that great importance to you? If not, being as diplomatic as I can, I say to you--MYOFB or if you want, PM me and -I-, repeat, -I- will tell you my #...
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Sourdough, Whether you like it or not, trapping is done on public land and the animals are a public resource so that equals public information.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Are either the "wanting to Know" or the "let ME, let ME" individual, trappers? If not, what are you wanting to know this info for. Is it really of that great importance to you? If not, being as diplomatic as I can, I say to you--MYOFB or if you want, PM me and -I-, repeat, -I- will tell you my #...
WOW! I hope all trappers aren't like this. Truly an idiot!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:09 PM

I want the local trapper to trap the beaver and wolves off my land. Nothing more.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Banned

Back to you Mikey,
Sorry if what I said got to you, but that is what I meant. Now if you would have said from the get go what it was you wanted this info for, then I totally understand and I apologize. Then again that is not how I read it.

.Not all that many years ago, all the ATA memberships were paid directly to the ATA in Westlock. Therefore, when the individual Locals wanted to find out who their trappers were to invite them to their meetings, that info could not be given out due to FOIP. This same information would not be given out by the F&G people either and all registered trappers paid their fee to them, but NO GO. Now you have people, who will bootleg anything with the advent of the internet. I am quite certain if it was local info that you required, it could have been aquired by simply asking some of the people in the trapping local in that area. PETA and others have been wanting to get the address' of trappper for some time and this is not helping. Maybe you would better have an understanding if you have the misfortune to be the victim of identity theft. This does not seem to deter Bigmouthshooter however.

Speaking of theft, I just returned this evening from my line to discover again that "individuals" had entered it and removed items. They were into every building in the site but what can one do..I don't lock it up cuz then I would have doors to replace as well..I'm sure, if not already that someone will have an Apps out with all the locations of the cabins in the county as well....BEING AS HOW IT ALL PUBLIC LAND....

So basically Mikey, this is where I am coming from... A lot of trappers have the same feeling and if they were asked directly, would only be to glad to give any info required but let's be up front and no more of this back door crap, intentional or otherwise..
You can call me what you like Mike, but there are usually two sides to a story and I thought it might stir up some conversation with a few trappers but as usual, most will sit on their thumbs and whistle.

PS : Tell Greg...Thank you for being the ever understanding diplomat and also - no, it was not a good day and didn't get any better when I got to my cabin. Tomorrow is the start of a new week so I can look forward to that.. You and Greg have a good one to..
Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 AM

Contacting the owner of the RFMA is s simple process , if you have the map and line number just contact the local Fish and Wildlife office , and leave your name and number with them. They will in turn refer your info to the trapper and if he decides to contact you he will.
I have had this done several times . The local game warden in most cases is on a first name basis with the trappers in his or her patrol area .
Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M shooter View Post
Sourdough, Whether you like it or not, trapping is done on public land and the animals are a public resource so that equals public information.
Ummm. OK then.

Hunting is done on public land.....
Fishing is done on public land...
Driving is usually done on public land...

Gonna be some great info published pretty soon I guess,

As said...contact ESRD and go from there. BTW some have their phone number posted on the line so if there is an issue people that need to can contact them.

Last edited by Lilbita1; 10-21-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 PM

Trappers can't have it both ways, they want industry/individuals to let them know what is going on on their traplines but dont want anyone to have their contact information.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Because a few of the trappers out there do think that they are entitled to have thing their way, I wrote SRD in Edmonton for an explaination on how the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) should be interpreted.
SRD wrote me a letter and here is the quote from that letter. "We can release the trapline number and the name of the individual that is registered to, but we are not allowed to release the individuals address, phone number or any private information because of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP)."
The FOIP has always been made up of two parts. The first part is called "Freedom of Information" and it is this part that allows one access to public information as it should. The second part is called "Protection of Privacy" and it is this part that prevents the release of private information as it should.
A few of the trappers out there do not want to acknowledge or want to admit that the "Freedom of Information" part of the FOIP exists. They want only to focus on the "Protection of Privacy" part. If they think that it is this part of the FOIP that prevents the public access to trappers names and trapline numbers then they are dead wrong.
A few of these trappers should either accept the facts and move on or just go ahead and have the FOIP changed if they think that they can do it.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 PM

When you renew your line you sign a something allowing srd to release your information. But you do have the option to keep your trapping records private even if someone goes thru FOIP. Sourdough sounds like srd gave you the run around about only releasing the name and tpa number. For a $5 search you can find out all activity that is on that section of public land, complete with addresses.(That way the oil companies now what adress to send the compensation cheques to) That search has nothing do with FOIP, goes back to my original comment. Public land, public resource, public info. FYI, If your scared of PETA getting the info, go trap on private land, resident trappers don't need to share any info.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M shooter View Post
When you renew your line you sign a something allowing srd to release your information. But you do have the option to keep your trapping records private even if someone goes thru FOIP. Sourdough sounds like srd gave you the run around about only releasing the name and tpa number. For a $5 search you can find out all activity that is on that section of public land, complete with addresses.(That way the oil companies now what adress to send the compensation cheques to) That search has nothing do with FOIP, goes back to my original comment. Public land, public resource, public info. FYI, If your scared of PETA getting the info, go trap on private land, resident trappers don't need to share any info.
How do I get my hands on these compensation cheques ??? lol
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 AM

Tork, I got a call at home, fella said I was hard to get a hold of and that he had a check for me (several thousand). Just my luck I had to let him know it was another trapper with the same name. At the convention in Stettler, with the help of a group of trappers we were able to contact this fellow. Have'nt heard how it worked out yet but he'll be happy to get the check I'm sure.
Doug
Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Tork, I got a call at home, fella said I was hard to get a hold of and that he had a check for me (several thousand). Just my luck I had to let him know it was another trapper with the same name. At the convention in Stettler, with the help of a group of trappers we were able to contact this fellow. Have'nt heard how it worked out yet but he'll be happy to get the check I'm sure.
Doug
I've never been offered a thing, other then a notice to go pick up yet another registered letter stating oilfield activity on my line.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:57 PM

An oilfield company writes a cheque to a trapper with no conversation before hand? Sounds a bit suspect. I've never got one of those cheques either and I receive 100's of notices every year. guess I'm missing out.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:33 AM

It was a land management company on behalf of a forestry company. They couldn't find the trapper because he was forced to move after being burned out by the Slave Lake fire. I have no idea if they contacted him before the fire or not. I was just happy to help aided by Jackie and other trappers at the convention.
Doug
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
It was a land management company on behalf of a forestry company. They couldn't find the trapper because he was forced to move after being burned out by the Slave Lake fire. I have no idea if they contacted him before the fire or not. I was just happy to help aided by Jackie and other trappers at the convention.
Doug
From a forestry company? THAT is highly suspect. I wonder who Doug is from Slave Lake?