Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Default Recommendations for first bow

Going to start bow hunting next season. I realize this might be opening a can of worms haha.

Any recommendations? Package or piece it together?

Been leaning towards the Elite hunter.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 12:32 PM

LOL.....little more than a can of worms!!! I suggest you hit a pro shop by your place and shoot a bunch of different kinds, forget about the brand name and find something you feel comfortable with and you will enjoy shooting but get the best bow you can afford or you will most certainly end up upgrading before the season next year (been there done that)! I shoot Bowtech and Mathews and saying that i really like both of them.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:43 PM

there's no real "lean towards" until you've shot em. stats don't mean much if its not comfortable. go to a few shops over a few days, take your time, shoot many different bows. when it feels right you'll know. make sure you're initial visit is to someone who knows how to measure your draw length and teach you correct form, and will take the time to do it. Id recommend Neil at LOST arrow. worth the drive.

Id piece it together; my choices are whisker biscuit/spothogg or axion sight/axion stabilizer/scott release/carbon express arrows/nocturnals. thats after a lot of trial and error. no equipment failures yet, knock on wood.

I shoot mathews and APA as i prefer smooth and quiet. YMMV
Old 10-18-2014, 03:29 PM

Ya I like to some what of an educated opinion before I go in some where especially wholesale or a similair place. Have a lot of hunting experience just not with bows.

Looking to buy in the new year and spend the year getting ready for next season.

Appreciate the advice.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308cowboy View Post
Ya I like to some what of an educated opinion before I go in some where especially wholesale or a similair place. Have a lot of hunting experience just not with bows.

Looking to buy in the new year and spend the year getting ready for next season.

Appreciate the advice.
No go to a pro shop, I am sure there is someone reputable in your area that will properly fit you, allow you to shoot many bows, release combinations etc Sometimes after a bit of shooting walk away and then come back to shoot again, the bow has to be a part of you and not what some guy on a commercial carries. Take your time and you will not be disappointed. I did it that way 20 years ago and still carry my Jennings Sonic XLR to this day. My son settled for a Hoyt last year after shooting probably 15 different bows.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-18-2014, 03:45 PM

As everyone else has said, Try before you buy! I've shot a lot of different bows, and my buddy and bow hunting partner has as well. He shoots a Bowtech Destroyer. I like it, but I prefer my APA M7. He likes my APA, but prefers his Bowtech. The two of us each have a lot of experience, and have tried a lot of bows, read all the stats, and both agree that neither of our bows is the "Best" according to the experts and stats, but they are the best for us. Point being, find the right bow for you, and you will only try that by demoing several.
Other things to consider are what type of bowhunting are you going to be doing? If your going to be sitting in a ground blind, you'll probably want something with a shorter axle to axle length (Unless you've got a giant blind) If your going to be in a tree stand, or spot and stalk hunting you can use a larger bow.
Are you going to use it for targets and hunting, or just hunting? You might want to consider lighter thinner arrows for 3D targets, Fatter arrows for cutting lines when shooting paper, and a third type of arrows for hunting. There's an infinite number of considerations.
Find a shop near you and spend some time talking with the staff, and better yet the local shooters. Borrow, rent, demo and soak in as much information as you can before you buy.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:20 PM

Your local archery pro shop is your new best friend
Old 10-18-2014, 08:48 PM

So a place like the the sherwood park archery lanes would have a number of bows i could shoot?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:49 PM

Jimbows them guys are awesome. I just picked up a bowtech carbon knight and I love it.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:26 AM

Neil at LOST arrow is he located around the Edmonton area? I am down around the Cochrane/Calgary area alot as well. Any recommendations for pro shops around there?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Neil at LOST arrow is he located around the Edmonton area? I am down around the Cochrane/Calgary area alot as well. Any recommendations for pro shops around there?
http://www.jimbowsarchery.ca/
Old 10-19-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
X2.......They will look after you !!!!!
Old 10-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Thanks guys appreciate the help
Old 10-19-2014, 02:33 PM

Exactly what some of the other guys are saying try a few bows for yourself.

And remember. Your 1500$ matthews wont outdo a 500$ G5 hammer if you cant even get close to an animal,or you dont practice. 20 feet per second dosent change the game much. Dont be sucked into the hype of brand loyalists.
My Bow is a G5 quest.paid 500 bare. Bought an optix sight,drop away rest. 4 years ago. Have harvested a few deer. Have buddies with 1500$ matthews who cant even get a shot off at game.

Would I like a new expensive bow? Yes. But the one i got works great and gets the job done.

Go to range.shoot some bows. All bows are loud to a deer. Trad guys can get it done with longbows and recurves. Feet per second means nothing if you cant even make a proper shot.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:51 PM

Thanks DAN4570 I have a similiar belief when it comes to my hunting rifles. I'm sure just like rifles you could break the bank easily.

Can't buy practice or experience. That's why I'm planning on starting in the new year for next season.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
We are near Wainwright....
I too recommend a PRO shop regardless of where and parting it...usually the box store bows will be a few dollars less all set up...till you swap the rest...then the sights...than the quiver....etc..

Plus the pro shop will give you service like re-spec tuning the bow once strings stretch and settle...and they all do!!!

Choose wisely !!! and enjoy.
Neil
Old 10-25-2014, 11:37 PM

I started last August. Got a 2 deers in 3 days around Bragg Creek. I bought the Bowtech Carbonknight simply by one reason. This is the lightest bow on the market right now. As I am not treestand hunter the weight means a lot for me. From the original package I have changed only release and bought a $50 camo model. Whole package + hard case + 10 arrows + 6 broadheads+ bow wrench+broadhead wrench+stringer wax = ~$1150
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140909_113325.jpg (118.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-26-2014, 06:18 AM
Banned

One that fits! If you are from arounf there is a new shop opening called Jim-Bows, bought some stuff from them in Calgary, very friendly, helpful and Knowledgeable.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:28 PM

Go see Lost Arrow if you can. Amazing help and he knows what he's talking about!
Old 10-29-2014, 06:24 PM

I was at wholesalesports looking for the elusive unicorn IMR-4350 last week and took a quick look at the archery section wasn't overly impressed but I am also new to this.

As a new guy to the forum and archery thanks for the help and advice.

Looking forward to the new year.