Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 AM

Default Hermitage fishing

Has anyone fished the Hermitage Pond in Edmonton? I was thinking it might be a nice spot to take the grandaughter fishing. She's seven and I love spending time with her.

Bobby B.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Yes i fished there twice this year and the fishing was really slow and the water was really gross and slimy. Caught a small one the first day which was rainy and cold having with a few nibbles here and there and absolutely nothing the second day which was a sunny evening trip. If your looking to go close around the city id suggest beaumont pond or cardiff near mornville if your on that end of the city.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the response. I know fishing isn't always catching but I'd like her to experience some catching before she experiences just fishing. Maybe we'll try Cardiff. Any spot or lure you could recommend?

Bobby B.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Actually Ashland Dam between Drayton Valley and Leduc has alot of fish. I went there last week and i couldnt keep them off the hook. they were biting pink floating powerbait eggs. I was using a weight and single hook for them. Its a little bit of the drive but the fishing is really decent, alot of fiesty 8-10 inchers.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:46 PM

If you are going to cardiff I would suggest in the evening. That's when the fish are most active and there are so many of them jumping that the water looks alive. I found it hard to find a lure that the fish wouldn't bite there, ha ha. You can do a pickeral rig with worms, or if you want your grand daughter to experience casting and retrieving any small Panther Martin ( size 1 or 2 blade) will get fish on your line. I have also caught them on bronze kastmasters and mepps spinners. My favorite spot is straight out from the parking lot where the water narrows. The water gets deep quick so you don't hook up on weeds. Like I said, go in the evening and you will see where the fish were jumping. Tight lines!