Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Default Lethbridge Fishing

Not 100% sure yet but if everything goes as planed ill be calling Lethbridge home for the next 4 years. Off to college next year, which means its time to find some new fishing spots. Although it will be sad to leave the well knows waters of home, Im very excited to find some new favorite spots to fish. So where are some good waters to try fishing near Lethbridge? I am hoping to have a vehicle so i will not limited to distance. Although i would prefer to not have to drive to far; couple of hours at most if possible. Ill probably be limited to wading as i doubt i will be bringing my float tube, so either rivers or lakes with shore access. The only place that i really know of down there is the old man river. Which i haven't fished but from the sounds of it its a pretty great fishery
Thanks for any help, i cant wait to get some fishing in while im there!!
Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 PM

You're ****ing distance to what's considered the best fly fishing in alberta.
Every drainage from the border up through the oldman, you're not too far away. All perfect for wading.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:15 PM

There are quite a few lake options within an hour or two drive as well. Trout, pike, walleye, whitefish.... they can all be found, plus more.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 PM

For trout check out Police Lake/Police Outpost Prov Park SW from Cardston.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:53 PM

You can catch every Alberta sportfish within 2 hrs of the city. Go west for trout, east for the warmer water fish. Right in town on the Oldman can be good too. I forsee a few skipped classes in your future! GL
Old 11-21-2015, 01:38 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
You're ****ing distance to what's considered the best fly fishing in alberta.
Every drainage from the border up through the oldman, you're not too far away. All perfect for wading.
What Robson means.... is "are you f-ing kidding me with this question?!" You are max 2hrs away from the best fly fishing in the world. 4 world class flyfisheries. And you ask where can i fish? Seriously? Was this rhetorical? Lol. Im just kidding. Obviously you had no idea what you stumbled upon. Lethbridge has some of the best fly fishing around, some of the largest mule deer in all of Canada and easy access to duck hunting as well as antelope. Im not going to post what rivers/streams/lakes im talking about. But if you promise not to share the good spots you find on any of these waterways i'll let you know them all. Just pm me and i'll give you the details.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:43 PM

you already know of the old man river start exploring every tributary that flows into it and you will be busy for the next 4 years and have some amazing fly-fishing .
Old 11-28-2015, 06:48 PM

It is for certain. Starting next fall i will be calling lethbridge home for the next 4 years!! Cant wait to fish what sounds like some pretty amazing waters. Thanks all for the help. See you on the water come fall!!