Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2015, 10:57 AM

Default Alberta's Wolf Management Plan

Reading numerous threads on increased wolf sightings/sign and reduced game sightings, and seeing similar results first hand, I started to wonder if Alberta has a wolf management plan or target wolf population. My personal belief is that they are part of the food chain and help with keeping an overall herd healthy, even if we don't like the competition. At the same time I think there is a balance that needs to be maintained and that the balance is skewed towards too many wolves right now. It's all anecdotal evidence, so who knows, I may be way off as well.

After digging into it I found that the last revision to the wolf management plan was almost 24 years ago. http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...es-Dec1991.pdf. I haven't read it all but I read the sections on population history and previous strategies which don't appear to have worked.

Rob's editorial on the wolf situation is a great read with more recent stats. It's scary to think that the target population is 4000 and high estimates put us at around 7000.
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...ts-nov-13.html. It's also staggering to consider how much meat is consumed by this population every year. This doesn't include other predator species consumption.

Anyways, enough rambling. Point of my post is: Is there anyone on here with inside knowledge on if the population is being studied to confirm if there is an overpopulation, when a revised plan may come out and what some of the population control strategies may be? I know that there is controversy around bounty programs being ineffective, so I'm just curious if a bounty is on the table or what other methods are being considered. I'm really hoping that hunting opportunities aren't further reduced by inaction on this.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Reading numerous threads on increased wolf sightings/sign and reduced game sightings, and seeing similar results first hand, I started to wonder if Alberta has a wolf management plan or target wolf population. My personal belief is that they are part of the food chain and help with keeping an overall herd healthy, even if we don't like the competition. At the same time I think there is a balance that needs to be maintained and that the balance is skewed towards too many wolves right now. It's all anecdotal evidence, so who knows, I may be way off as well.

After digging into it I found that the last revision to the wolf management plan was almost 24 years ago. http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...es-Dec1991.pdf. I haven't read it all but I read the sections on population history and previous strategies which don't appear to have worked.

Rob's editorial on the wolf situation is a great read with more recent stats. It's scary to think that the target population is 4000 and high estimates put us at around 7000.
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...ts-nov-13.html. It's also staggering to consider how much meat is consumed by this population every year. This doesn't include other predator species consumption.

Anyways, enough rambling. Point of my post is: Is there anyone on here with inside knowledge on if the population is being studied to confirm if there is an overpopulation, when a revised plan may come out and what some of the population control strategies may be? I know that there is controversy around bounty programs being ineffective, so I'm just curious if a bounty is on the table or what other methods are being considered. I'm really hoping that hunting opportunities aren't further reduced by inaction on this.
I cant answer your question,however when I see Elk tracks where I hunt there are more often than not Wolf tracks close behind.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:39 PM

I think we just be quiet about it and work on problem ourselves. Less government involvement the better. If we have 7000 there's groups out there that believe we should probably have 14000.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:01 PM

Yes there were/are collared long term study packs, 2 in the GC/kakwa area and I believe one in the south.

Much of the problem lies in the fact that the previous govt cut funding to such studies, and the bios doing the studies were prone to animal rights activism.

The rest of the problem is that wolves in Alberta are exceptionally difficult to study/hunt/trap. At best, we get an estimate with a significant error range, if it is done honestly, which it isn't. Anecdotally, the numbers are at an all time high.

the only effective way to control their numbers is poisoning, then you get a bunch of oldtimers and greenies upset about the poor fisher/jay/whatever else gets taken out as collateral damage. Never offering a solution, just emotion

I have not heard anything specific about a change in management strategy. I doubt it rates on the provincial priority list.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Yes there were/are collared long term study packs, 2 in the GC/kakwa area and I believe one in the south.

Much of the problem lies in the fact that the previous govt cut funding to such studies, and the bios doing the studies were prone to animal rights activism.

The rest of the problem is that wolves in Alberta are exceptionally difficult to study/hunt/trap. At best, we get an estimate with a significant error range, if it is done honestly, which it isn't. Anecdotally, the numbers are at an all time high.

the only effective way to control their numbers is poisoning, then you get a bunch of oldtimers and greenies upset about the poor fisher/jay/whatever else gets taken out as collateral damage. Never offering a solution, just emotion

I have not heard anything specific about a change in management strategy. I doubt it rates on the provincial priority list.
Never offering a solution, just emotion...that's the problem right there.

Well, kind of disappointed no one knows anything...must mean that you're correct that it's pretty low as a provincial priority.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 AM

Ongoing work here with elk and their relationship with wolves.

https://firstforwildlife.wordpress.c...roject-review/

Grizz
Old 10-22-2015, 08:31 AM

I know where I will be going this winter for some wolf hunting - in my moose hunting grounds. My 243 will get a good workout I hope.

We did not harvest a bull this year ( we had 2 tags in our group). Wolves everywhere, every time we cow called-bulls clammed right up and only seen 1 cow/calf pair the entire week. Last year no wolves and we harvested 3 bulls. The year before that skunked and wolves were plentiful then.

Had a pack of 15-20 ....missed some (black one and a large white/grey) one morning when I was cow calling and wolves lit up very close...I said to my friend "guess we are hunting wolves this morning".

We got one wolf (juvenile) on our last morning hunt.