Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 PM

Default Bass Pro Shop at Balzac

Drove by the construction at Balzac today and there is a trailer with a Bass Pro Shop ad on it with wording like " Coming soon!" on it so i guess we are getting one, will be nice to have a decent store within 5 minutes. Anyone know when this is slated to open?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:51 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=10456
Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 PM
jrs

That will be an awesome new store to stop by.

This thread just made me think of something i came up with while down at Cabelas. Every year a rumor goes around that ones opening in Alberta and a guy down there behind the counter mentioned it. Anyway, we were considering buying this meat grinder that was on sale, a guy went and checked the back and said they were out of stock. He recommended we order one and pick it up the next week. We said that wouldn't work because we were from Alberta. He pipes and and says "I got some good news for you, we're opening one right by you". I kind of got excited and then my Dad mentioned to the guy the only one on there web page scheduled for construction is in Montreal. The guy just said "Well that's gotta be a lot closer than this one for you".
Right there i figured out where half these rumors come from. We went back the Sunday morning and the store was empty so i got talking to some fly fishing guys (i was buying up half the supplies so they came for a chat). They asked where i was from, i said southern Alberta, they said something like "that's awesome, I'd love to go fishing for salmon and steelhead up there someday". Anyway, it was my first experience with a large group of people having no knowledge about the part of this world I'm from (i don't travel much).
Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
they said something like "that's awesome, I'd love to go fishing for salmon and steelhead up there someday"
Haha! So typical. I was once asked if I knew how to build an igloo by a guy in Texas. He was dead serious.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 PM
jrs

"He was dead serious."

That's what got me. They laughed about the Montreal thing when we explained how far it was but i figured the fishing guys would have maybe heard of the Crowsnest River or the Bow, i have heard of most of their popular rivers but i guess it only went one way (the drive down was like a drive through an old fly fishing magazine).
Old 01-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

you think that's bad. a friend of mine was in Texas. he was there on holiday from the UK. when speaking to a local girl she said

"is England UK in London?"
to which he replied "yes" to keep things simple. then she said

"how long did it take to get here?"

"9 hours" he replied... she then says,

"gee, i thought it would take longer to drive from London to Texas, maybe ill take a drive out there soon now i know its not so far..."

sums up the general intelligence of our southern neighbours....lol
Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 PM

my wife went to university in hawaii for 2 years...one of her friends asked her if she was going to drive or fly to school.....she was adamant that there was a bridge to hawaii......if it ever happens i am building a gas station along that road!!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:50 AM

I was down in Indiana when I was in high school and got talking to some girls from Florida and they asked us if we got around on dog sleds. So they got lead on for a bit before we told them the truth.

My dads cousin used to work at the border crossing near abbotsford and he said he had some ppl ask him where there was a washroom so they could put there long-johns on. They figured that as soon as they crossed that border they would be cold.

Here is anther good one. I have an Aunt and Uncle that live in Louisiana and a few yrs back my Uncle and cuz came up for a visit as my cuz had never been to Canada. But before they came my Aunt called to ask if we had debt machines here. LOL

It is really amazing that some ppl really have no clue about the great white north. O'well I get a kick out of it.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 AM

LOL i just went and looked to see what the first post was and I guess we got just a little off topic.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Bass Pro Shops Calgary

Just did a little search and found the following on Monster.com:

Bass Pro Shops is one of the nation's leading merchants of outdoor recreational products with thirty-three retail stores as well as a robust internet, catalog and wholesale business. Bass Pro Shops has grown from one store in Springfield, MO to a forty store business. The Springfield store is approximately 300,000 square feet in size and ranks as the state's number one tourist attraction.

Our new location in Calgary will open in the summer of 2008.

We are currently accepting resumes for the following Management Positions:

Customer Service Manager
Group Sales Manager - Apparel/Gifts/Footwear
Group Sales Manager - Camping/Marine
Group Sales Manager - Fishing
Group Sales Manager - Hunting
Loss Prevention Manager
Maintenance Manager
Merchandise Manager
Operations Manager
Promotions Manager
Receiving Manager
Visual Display Manager
Boat Manager

So one can assume it is going to happen!

Will keep looking for more info......

Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 AM

Default More on Bass Pro Shop jobs

You can also apply on-line through the Bass Pro Shops website under career opportunities.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Bass

I just spent half a day at the Bass Pro Shops in Rancho California. The place is huge and I missed so much. Compared to Calgary shops (Wholesale) most everything seemed to be about 10percent cheaper, a few things the same price, but there were some great deals. The pontoon boat I want is 170 bucks cheaper. I found the guns and ammo similar in price. Overall it should bring some great competition - especially to many of the small fly shops here as their fly gear was all 10-30 percent cheaper.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 AM

off topic again....

I used to work in a Gas station on the Alaska Highway.... Played a few tricks on the arrogant ones....

Had one guy in September ask me about winterizing his vehicle as he was going to Alaska would be coming home on ferry in two weeks... I said it would be Ok the only thing he had to worry about was his tires.... The summer air in them would compress and his tires would deflate so i said here we are in winter air and that he should empty out the summer air and put in winter air and to do that very 500 miles. he pulled over to the compressor and spent an hour draining and filling each tire!....

Another one come in and was really rude.... his brand new Toyota Lexus was running rough (I disconnected a plug wire when checking oil).. and said that it was such a new car that he shold go down the road to the exhaust shop and that he needed his muffler bearings replaced as the air pressure here is different and that it was a free replacement.... away he went... i called the exhaust shop and told them to feed him a story and keep it going... he went all over town and ended up at Canaian tire where another friend works.... i told hi to bring the car in and fix it.... reconnect the plug wire.... This guy showed up there with a drawing, a part number.... FN-ID-10T.... and knew everything there was to know about a muffler bearing....

We had a busload of them and they were all rude and they were looking for the Alaska Highway.... in Fort St. John... so I told them they missed the turn and to go back to Dawson Creek and talk to the gas station guy there and he would get them on the right path..... Saw them 2 hours later....
Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 AM

Those are good ones nekred
Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I just spent half a day at the Bass Pro Shops in Rancho California. The place is huge and I missed so much. Compared to Calgary shops (Wholesale) most everything seemed to be about 10percent cheaper, a few things the same price, but there were some great deals. The pontoon boat I want is 170 bucks cheaper. I found the guns and ammo similar in price. Overall it should bring some great competition - especially to many of the small fly shops here as their fly gear was all 10-30 percent cheaper.
I wouldn't necessarily assume they will be selling at their best American pricing. The auto makers don't, Walmart doesn't. Many other retailers don't either.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:23 PM

Default prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I wouldn't necessarily assume they will be selling at their best American pricing. The auto makers don't, Walmart doesn't. Many other retailers don't either.
I realize they won't have the same pricing, but for those who compare prices there will be some deals, and better selection for sure.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Balzac Bass proshops construction site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/singlem...n/photostream/
Here is some pictures of the site just North of Calgary about 5 minutes! Looks like the rumours are true. You can see the Calgary skyline in the distance. Pix taken February 23rd 2008.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Not to hijack...but

Thanx nekred I had a good laugh! I'll bet the lexus guy is impressed by the knowledge and helpfullness of we Canucks!

I guided a south Texan and after we got to visiting I noticed in his luggage he had a whole bunch of canned meat. Ham,tuna ect. I said, WTH ya packin that for? He replied that he did know if he could eat our kind of food.
[surprised]..."you'all eat the same kinda food we do!"
I laughed and said ..what did ya expect seal blubber!

anyway bring on the Bass Pro....chain
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM

Might drive to Calgary this summer!!!!!!

Well well not only americans are stupid. Europeans are also.

I remember on a trip in Quebec we meet some French people from France. They seriously believe us that a tribe of indian lived on the other side of a mountain.

Or europeans that come here and want to visite one Canadian attraction per day in 7 days. Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Quebec City, Maritimes, Canadian Rockies, Vancouver. They seriously have problem believing how big this country is.

Call of the Wild
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Had a beer yesterday with a guy doing some electrical work at the Bass Pro Shop building. He said they're trying to open for July, but it's not going to happen. MIGHT be open in time for hunting season.

Going to be nice to have a shop so close to home!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM

3 guy's from here are supposedly going there on march 25 to work on the building. One of them told me $32.00 per hour plus room + board. Also said it is a 4 month job.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:18 PM

where do i apply!?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Hoochie Papa

Last reports I heard were opening for August. Should be just in the nick of time.

The store looks like it's going to be bigger than the mall is. I thought the mall going in there was supposed to rival West Ed?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:39 PM

It is coming slowly but surely lots of work to do still from the looks of it. The building is still not all closed in.

Hoochie, I heard the "mall" was more of a Deerfoot meadows like set-up with alot of big box stores.?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 AM

Default Wss In Denile

I was in the Calgary Wholesale Sports asked the guy about an Encore Pro Hunter and when they might get some. He says they are working on the exclusive rights for thompson arms so no one else can carry them in Alberta. I said wow! so Bass Pro must not carry them or be interested. The guy says Bass Pro will not be open for three years and WSS is central in location people won't drive all the way to balzac?

So I was going to ask what he was smokin but left it at well they are in the hiring process as we speak and the building is enclosed now but I guess you guys would'nt know that as it's way far away in Balzac.

So much for slamming the Americans for being a bit gullable?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
I was in the Calgary Wholesale Sports asked the guy about an Encore Pro Hunter and when they might get some. He says they are working on the exclusive rights for thompson arms so no one else can carry them in Alberta. I said wow! so Bass Pro must not carry them or be interested. The guy says Bass Pro will not be open for three years and WSS is central in location people won't drive all the way to balzac?

So I was going to ask what he was smokin but left it at well they are in the hiring process as we speak and the building is enclosed now but I guess you guys would'nt know that as it's way far away in Balzac.

So much for slamming the Americans for being a bit gullable?
when i was in WSS last week i got told pretty much the same. i think they know their doom is near and just dont want to admit it..
i mean central location?? yeh maybe it is if you live in the SE of the city, otherwise its a pain in the ass to get to.

and central location and a fishing/hunting store is somewhat of an oxymoron. i mean when did you last go shooting or fishing in the city?

personally id much rather drive those millions of K's (which WSS staff think it is to balzac) than go anywhere near Deerfoot Tr...
Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 PM

All depends on price and selection. Living in Okotoks, WSS isn't too far. Doubt I would ever go to Bass Pro unless it was for a rather large ticket item. I'm not going to drive all the way up there to save $5 or $10
Old 03-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Its not about saving the cash it is the selection that is available and the variety. Its about them having what you need when you need it and more the store will be a tourist attraction. I love them and trust me it will be a destination for Edmontonians, Red Deerites and all others.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Its not about saving the cash it is the selection that is available and the variety. Its about them having what you need when you need it and more the store will be a tourist attraction. I love them and trust me it will be a destination for Edmontonians, Red Deerites and all others.
I was at the bass pro in Dallas Ft worth awsome can't wait till Pro Bass alberta opens no problem to drive down from edmonton
Old 03-11-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
I was at the bass pro in Dallas Ft worth awsome can't wait till Pro Bass alberta opens no problem to drive down from edmonton
Exactly same here first experiance was Katy Texas west of Houston didn't bother me to take the Wife and son down the next trip and do it all again. Just Like I will drive to Post Falls Idaho for the Cabela's not to spend anymore than just enjoy.