Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Angry ((My 81 year old Veteran dad needs help please!))

Hi guys,
My parents are 81 and 75 years old respectively, and are in poor health. Dad recently hired a guy off the street for snow removal off their roof and to clear a path through their yard to get at the bird feeders in the back.

My dad had overheard this guy in the store talking about snow removal, so dad asks" will you remove the snow on my roof?" This guy told my dad that he would , and that he would 'cut him a deal' because he was a war veteran, (My dad is a Korean War veteran) and charged him 100 bucks. Then this guy shows up, bringing one of the neighborhood crack heads with him, started the job, then took off on them. My trusting father had already paid them, and they split. If I see this guy I'm going to punch his throat, I swear to god!

Does anyone know of a strapping lad or two that's needs some coin here in Red Deer who can dig a path thru the deep snow in the backyard for my parents? They live in Mustang Acres trailer court here in Red Deer, and the yard is deep with snow. Mom just got out of the hospital today, I can't dig them out because of a knee operation and I can't walk thru the snow, and my hubbie works up north. They just need a path dug thru. My parents need to find someone who is honest!!!

Thanks so much folks!!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Angry

Sick.
Losers.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 PM

I would gladly do it if I lived there some people are suck A** H****

Hope you find him I really do

Steve In GP

Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 PM

Arg.

If i lived close by I would drop by with my snow blower and clear the path in the back yard free of charge.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:00 PM

Sent ya a PM. I might be able to help.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:08 AM

Atta boy Swifty. You're a good man.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
........................,,-~*~,,
......................./:.:.:.:.:.|
......................|;.;.;.;.;./
......................|.;.;.;.;.|
............._,,,,,_.).;.;.;.;.|
.........,,-":.:.:.:."~-,;.;.;.|
........(_,,,,---,,_:.:.);.;.;..",,
......,-":.:.:.:.:.""-,,/;.;.;.;.;.",
.....(:.__,,,,,,,,,___);.;.;.;.;.;|
...../"":.:.:.:.:.:.:¯""\;.;.;.;.;.,"
....\",__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/\
.....\.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:\
.......\,,,,,---~~~~;;;;;;;;,"::::\
.........."""~~--,,,,,,,,,,-"::::::::::\
...................\::::::::::::::::::::::\

If I wasn't working and far away I would have done it for some old war stories!!.. Hope everything works out for your Dad..
Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 AM
Banned

Getting someone to lend a hand at the present is good but in the long term I would strongly suggest that you look into and contact Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC). There are a lot of programs set up to help our aging and/or disabled Vets that you and he obviously know nothing about. Your Dad should be able to get his driveway and walkway shoveled for free as well as a lot of other maintenance throughout the year. If you can't find the info on their website send me a pm and I'll find it for you.

Do it!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Atta boy Swifty. You're a good man.
x2
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 AM

Smile

X3
Old 01-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Banned

Veterans Independence Program (VIP)

Please check it out! There may be other benefits that he is not aware of as well!

"The Veterans Independence Program (VIP) helps you remain independent and self-sufficient in your home and your community. Depending on your circumstances and health needs you may qualify for financial assistance to obtain services such as grounds maintenance; housekeeping; personal care; access to nutrition; health and support services provided by a health professional.

VIP does not replace other federal, provincial or municipal programs. Instead its role is to complement existing programs to help meet your needs."

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/servi...ndence-program
Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 AM

x4
Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
How can the help im free tomorrow at dark and ever night through the week . If you need a body g lad to help a vet or any other in need .
Jeff.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:27 AM
Gone Fishing

Hey, I'm not young anymore but am younger than your folks. Send me a IM and I can go there today. No charge. can't do a good deed and take cash.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Please check it out! There may be other benefits that he is not aware of as well!

"The Veterans Independence Program (VIP) helps you remain independent and self-sufficient in your home and your community. Depending on your circumstances and health needs you may qualify for financial assistance to obtain services such as grounds maintenance; housekeeping; personal care; access to nutrition; health and support services provided by a health professional.

VIP does not replace other federal, provincial or municipal programs. Instead its role is to complement existing programs to help meet your needs."

Yes get them this information and this can be a long term solution. I informed my dad on this after I retired and they have assistance so share this information with them and it will not allow a wanker to take advantage of them again!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:

My grandpa is a ww2 vet and is 84 an still does all his own housework. I don't think anybody that fought and bled for this country should have to struggle for anything, good for the veterans affairs to have these good programs. I'm happy to pay taxes for this kind of thing.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Let me know if you still need it done. Send me the address I can go do it for them.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:34 AM

Send me a PM. I will help
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 AM

Hi everyone,
My parents are part of the veteran's program. My Dad is a senior member at the legion here, and has been given a Governor General award for helping over 1000 people out. He already knows about every single program they have because he arranges it for other veterans. The problem is, is the people that he hired for that. My parents still have to pay for the services before they get reimbursed. I am heading over @ 12:00, and they are at #20, 6834 59th Avenue. It's a HELL of a lot of snow believe me, but like I said, they cannot even get in the yard, it's really deep.

They have great coffee BTW...and they are awesome people. Good karma will come to those who help out heehee!! Thanks again SO MUCH EVERYONE!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 PM

Bad start awesome ending.
Well done guys!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
The problem is, is the people that he hired for that.
Ah, I understand it now. I think that VAC should have a list of reputable contractors available to do ground maintenance. I receive a small disability pension for a permanent shoulder injury. A few years ago, out of the blue I got a call from VAC asking me if I needed help with snow removal, etc. I'm quite capable of doing it myself so I declined the offer and thanked them for contacting me.

The way that the lady explained it to me was that all I had to do was tell them that I needed help and they would take care of the rest (ie hiring someone, sending him to my home to do the work and paying for the work that he does). That may have changed and probably has by the sounds of it because your Dad sounds like he's up to date with what's going on.

This might be something that I'd be interested in doing and I might contact VAC to see if there is a requirement for someone in Morinville. I'd get to help someone out and earn a few bucks to help supplement my pension/remain active at the same time. It sounds like a win/win situation and the Vets wouldn't have to worry about getting ripped off like your Dad was.

I should mention that I always help my neighbours with this sort of thing, especially those really in need, not for money, just cuz.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:09 PM

Kudos everyone. You know who you are.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dave:

Is there not a good breakdown for VIP in this months Legion magazine?

My copy is at work.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Dave:

Is there not a good breakdown for VIP in this months Legion magazine?

My copy is at work.
I don't know, I'm not a member. It's on my list of things to do but I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I plan on being a non-participating member and only joining to throw my support behind it monetarily.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:36 PM

Dave, Take a good look at the benefits for your spouse if something happens to you. If you apply and are accepted it will carry on for her. If you don't it dies with you and she would be hooped as she would not be eligible. A lot of these little gems aren't fully explained and are overlooked. I have two copies of the Legion mag and if its detailed in it I'll send you a copy. I'll PM for an address if I need it. I have sent in and been accepted but have never used it. They ask for an update annually. I cleaned my roof last week just before the melt and I should have had someone do it but there is a lack of workers with insurance etc around here and possibly even in the larger centres. Landscape guys sometimes do roofs in the winter and its not in their ads. kudos to all who helped Nikaniks dad. I recognize some of the guys who volunteered and know they'll look after things. Swifty might be a little heavy for a trailer roof, though. JK
Old 01-19-2014, 02:02 PM

Many thanks to 220 Swifty, Chauncy, and Backpacker for coming by to help my parents out. They are deeply grateful for your help and may many good things flow your ways. I will be burning sweetgrass for you all! Thanks again guys! You've proven that there are still good people in this world. Enjoy the elk roasts and jerky! !!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:08 PM

I have to be sure Chauncy and Backpacker get more credit than me, they did most of the work, I just showed up in time to inspect.

Good work, gentlemen.

Thanks for the roast, nikanit, it will be enjoyed.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Banned

Nicely done!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Gone Fishing

Nikanit, your thanks and those from your folks were all that was expected but that fine elk roast and jerky will be great to enjoy as well. If we get any more big dumps of snow, don't hesitate to reach out for me and my shovel. Your folks seem like great folks and it was a pleasure to help them out.

Honestly though, I truly was hoping to see her punch the guy in the throat,lol.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:16 PM

You are welcome, thanks for the roast and jerky. Kudos to swifty and backpacker.