Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Default any old wives tails for treating blisters?

i got a new pair of rugby boots this weekend... and much to my sorrow they didnt fit as well as i thought they did.. so i have a huge blister on each heel.. one of which the skin was ripped fully off the blister leaving the red raw skin below..

the other thankfully still has the skin covering so ive left it well alone..

so does anyone have any tips on how to best heal the raw one??? ive never had one with the skin removed before as ive always treated them before its got that far..

ive got a rugby match wednesday night.. going to use my old boots which fit well.. but right now i can hardly walk in shoes... so living in sandals.. i will put hockey tape over my heels for the game.. but need to get them at least half healed to make the pain bearable...

isnt it funny how the smallest silliest things can be the most painful..

Last edited by crunchiespg; 07-19-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:31 PM

I buy a liquid product that comes in a small bottle called second skin.

If you're like me, you will scream and cry like a small child when applying on the raw wound, but it will build up layers of this synthetic skin to help. It's more flexible and won't work itself off like moleskin does.

I'd apply it the night before the game a few times, but in the meantime, let it breathe and try not to aggravate it by wearing your sandals.

I hate blisters...

Here's my foot from last week!

Been doing a bunch of hiking lately.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I buy a liquid product that comes in a small bottle called second skin.

If you're like me, you will scream and cry like a small child when applying on the raw wound, but it will build up layers of this synthetic skin to help. It's more flexible and won't work itself off like moleskin does.

I'd apply it the night before the game a few times, but in the meantime, let it breathe and try not to aggravate it by wearing your sandals.

I hate blisters...

Here's my foot from last week!

Been doing a bunch of hiking lately.
hmmm, ive heard of the pain that stuff causes... lol... it might be my only option..

its ok, the sandals are heel less so its nice and open to the air...
Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
hmmm, ive heard of the pain that stuff causes... lol... it might be my only option..
I've thought about tape recording myself to be used as a 'distress call' for feral pigs...
Old 07-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Blisters

Balm for broken blisters... To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine, a powerful antiseptic.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM

Get some second skin burn pads and apply it to the broken blister. It will sting for a few seconds then start to cool the area. After a few minutes the pad sorta melts to form an airtight seal around the blister. Once the pad starts to dry out just get it wet and it softens up again.

If you have a large piece of moleskin you might want to put it on overtop of the burn pad for some extra protection.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Get some second skin burn pads and apply it to the broken blister. It will sting for a few seconds then start to cool the area. After a few minutes the pad sorta melts to form an airtight seal around the blister. Once the pad starts to dry out just get it wet and it softens up again.

If you have a large piece of moleskin you might want to put it on overtop of the burn pad for some extra protection.
this is the right path imho.....except...rather than putting mole skin on it go to the pharmacy and look for mole foam....much thicker....cut out a rectangle piece that will cover your blister as well as wrap around the heel a bit so it will stay put....now fold the foam piece in half length wise and cut out a semi circle half as big as your blister..so that when you unfold it there is a hole that is as big as your blister....peel the backing off the foam and place the piece on your heel so the cut out hole goes directly over your blister(or open blister in this case). you may want to even cut a second one and put it on top of the first piece....but usually one "doughnut" is enough. this will keep the blister as well as the second skin away from your shoes etc...i would recommend sandals/flipflops till it toughens up a bit...when you do go to put on your shoes again put a long piece of duct tape (nice and slippery not grippy like hockey tape) over the whole area...doughnut and all....again this will decrease the friction and keep the blistered area away from your heel pocket in your shoe.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

thanks guys..

will try those methods..

next hurdle i face is work on wednesday dayshift.. on average 15km walking in boots...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 PM

My grandpa used to say that sandpaper and vinegar works well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
thwhen you do go to put on your shoes again put a long piece of duct tape (nice and slippery not grippy like hockey tape) over the whole area...doughnut and all....again this will decrease the friction and keep the blistered area away from your heel pocket in your shoe.
X2 I do the donut method with duct tape as well.

I keep duct tape wrapped around my hiking poles for a number of reasons, this being one of them.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
thanks guys..

will try those methods..

next hurdle i face is work on wednesday dayshift.. on average 15km walking in boots...
i'd double doughnut it if you can fit it into your boot....
Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
i'd double doughnut it if you can fit it into your boot....
Sounds like a hemerroid treatment as well
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM

I use second skin or moleskin covered by duct tape.

second skin to protect it and duct tape for your boots to slide across instead of wearing out your hide.

I always keep some of each in my soccer bag for just such issues.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Another vote for Second Skin, when the screaming is over it works great. I just paint on 3 or 4 coats and good to go. Less screaming with each coat too

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

Place Tincture of Benzoine ,also known as Friar's balsam on to the blister Put on your sock and the sock will sort of glue over the blister. There will be no abrasion between the boot and the skin, and the sock will take up the rubbing that is going on. Tincture of benzoine really stinks. but smells better than your sweaty team-mates.

This is an old British remedy given to me by the mother of one of my old teamates. It si Some sort of old World War 2 remedy that works.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Sounds like a hemerroid treatment as well
same theory
Old 07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Gone Hunting

X2 on the sandpaper and vinegar. It hurts like hell, but you won't be getting blisters again from new boots.

The other I would try is "Cowboy up" How bad can it be? It's just a little blister.. It's not like an arrow in the eye. Sandpaper and vinegar doesn't work in that case.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-19-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
X2 on the sandpaper and vinegar. It hurts like hell, but you won't be getting blisters again from new boots.
My grandpa also used to reccomend the same treatment for sunburn. I think he was trying to kill me.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 PM

DMSO supposed to work majic on burns and sunburn too...some claim to help with arthritis if taken internally....don't ask me I never tried it [you asked for old wives tale] but more than one person has extolled it's virtues to me.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 PM

Default Blisters

Try herb "Swedish Bitters".You can find in some health stores in Edmonton.
Belevie mi its amazing herb (elixir). Help for many things!!!
To read more -Google ~ "Swedish Bitters"
Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Apply one of these for 10-12 hours per day. Guaranteed never another blister again.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM

You must be one of those damn backs! Crying about a little blister! If you guys weren't so busy knocking on the ball and whining about the impact of open field tackles, maybe you would help your poor forward team mates win some games. Scrum after scrum in 30 degree weather and getting punched in the face at just about every line out, so you guys can keep your hair gel from getting messed up. Stop your winjing and carrying on like a little Sheila.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
You must be one of those damn backs! Crying about a little blister! If you guys weren't so busy knocking on the ball and whining about the impact of open field tackles, maybe you would help your poor forward team mates win some games. Scrum after scrum in 30 degree weather and getting punched in the face at just about every line out, so you guys can keep your hair gel from getting messed up. Stop your winjing and carrying on like a little Sheila.
actually im front row forward...
id take broken bones over this blister..
its amazing how something so small can literally stop you in your tracks..
lol
Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM

I used to soak my new boots under the tap and wore them to break them in. It wasn't too good for the leather but then again you're probably not getting even two seasons out of a pair of Rugby boots anyway. For blisters I used to use moleskin or duct tape and lots of vaseline.

By the way, I played half a game in the front row and that was plenty for me! Cheers.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 PM

raw wool, sometimes sold as hikers wool, put a pad of it on the blister inside your sock and they usually disappear in a day. I usually use it for the rest of the trip to avoid getting them again
Old 07-20-2010, 10:14 PM

You are NOT going to like me. But it works.

1. Pop the blister so that there is a 1/8" hole in it (nail clippers work best AFTER you sterilize them)

2. Get warm water, as warm as your feet can tolerate, and dissolve regular salt in the water until no more salt will dissolve.

3. Immerse feet, and find something to chew on, and yes a few crocodile tears are acceptable at this point.

4. when the pain starts to subside, keep the feet immersed for another 10 minutes.

The NaCl will partially dissasociate in water that has been saturated with salt. The sodium ions will deaden the nerves, while the chlorine ions will disinfect the area.

The trick works. You will actually callous faster if you do this. But man it hurts like a bass turd for a minute.

After soaking, pat feet and let them air dry. You will feel more burning. Totally normal and just let it burn for a bit. What you are doing is 'deadening' the exposed nerve endings and signalling the body to repair the area faster to get rid of the irritation.

Now about those boots. Go out and buy some yellow toe socks to wear in them. They are made with merino wool and are as soft as silk. They will not create friction which will speed up your healing process. 4 pairs are 16.00 and they are comfortable as all get out.

If your boots are leather mostly, put them on with your socks and get them absolutely soaking wet and wear them until they are half dry. They will 'form' to your foot that way.

Every pair of leather cowboy boots i own I do this to. and the end result is they break in within days, and when they are almost dry, I hit them with pure lanolin or saddle soap.

Thats all the advice i can give you. PS looks like a painful blister. But this will help.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Banned

That's kind of what I normally do. But in this case the skin was ripped right off in the sock.
The boots have gone back. It was the plastic heel cup which was rubbing.
That picture isn't me. Mine was a red raw mess.

Thanks guys. A varity of your suggestions have been used. Touch wood I make it through the game ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
You are NOT going to like me. But it works.

1. Pop the blister so that there is a 1/8" hole in it (nail clippers work best AFTER you sterilize them)

2. Get warm water, as warm as your feet can tolerate, and dissolve regular salt in the water until no more salt will dissolve.

3. Immerse feet, and find something to chew on, and yes a few crocodile tears are acceptable at this point.

4. when the pain starts to subside, keep the feet immersed for another 10 minutes.

The NaCl will partially dissasociate in water that has been saturated with salt. The sodium ions will deaden the nerves, while the chlorine ions will disinfect the area.

The trick works. You will actually callous faster if you do this. But man it hurts like a bass turd for a minute.

After soaking, pat feet and let them air dry. You will feel more burning. Totally normal and just let it burn for a bit. What you are doing is 'deadening' the exposed nerve endings and signalling the body to repair the area faster to get rid of the irritation.

Now about those boots. Go out and buy some yellow toe socks to wear in them. They are made with merino wool and are as soft as silk. They will not create friction which will speed up your healing process. 4 pairs are 16.00 and they are comfortable as all get out.

If your boots are leather mostly, put them on with your socks and get them absolutely soaking wet and wear them until they are half dry. They will 'form' to your foot that way.

Every pair of leather cowboy boots i own I do this to. and the end result is they break in within days, and when they are almost dry, I hit them with pure lanolin or saddle soap.

Thats all the advice i can give you. PS looks like a painful blister. But this will help.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
Scrum after scrum in 30 degree weather and getting punched in the face at just about every line out, so you guys can keep your hair gel from getting messed up. Stop your winjing and carrying on like a little Sheila
The above statement is a pot calling the kettle black!

Real men play hockey. Think rugby but with 30 razor sharp blades, a puck that travels at over 100mph, each player carries a stick/weapon, and fighting is encouraged.

Scrum pppffffft.

Who wants to play a sport where a hooker can ruck you over?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Default sorry for the hijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

The other I would try is "Cowboy up" How bad can it be? It's just a little blister.. It's not like an arrow in the eye. Sandpaper and vinegar doesn't work in that case.
But I've had this damn arrow in my eye for a couple weeks now...thought it would just heal over and fall out...any cures anyone can think of would be appreciated. Tried the sandpaper and vinegar trick already...but it's still a little tender right where the arrow goes in.