Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Default Nahanni River

Has anyone rafted/canoed it? Looking for feedback on oufitters. Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Not directly, but our Exec. Director here at work went last summer and did a lot of research... She went with Nahanni Wilderness Adventures out of Canmore, and had nothing but great things to say about the trip (company, guides, food, other participants, etc.). Another company I think the U of C Outdoor Program contracts through is Nahanni River Adventures...

http://www.nahanniwild.com/

http://www.nahanni.com/

Hope this helps!

P

Last edited by ÜberFly; 07-20-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Pick up the book : Nahanni the River Guide, by Peter Jowett (old friend and used to work for me. He was a Park Waren there)
Printed by : Rocky Mountain Books.

Very detailed book on this river.

Quote:

the Mystery and Magic of the South Nahanni

Designated a World Heritage Site, Nahanni National Park Reserve attracts paddlers and adventure seekers from all across the globe.

Besides providing river descriptions, hiking attractions, and all the information needed to get you there and back, the author gives you the whole story, the Nahanni Story, to ensure fellow travelers gain a true respect for this magnifiecent place.

end quote (from the back cover)
Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the info so far. I am half through "The Dangerous River" which is an old text from before the days of inflatable rafts and airplanes. I will have to look for that book Reeves.
Uberfly (I really don't know how you make the dots up there) that is they type of info I was looking for allright - if anyone had been there. It seems the two outfits you list are the only two offering raft trips, a third outfit is up there but their website only shows canoe/kayak trips.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 AM

The "two dots" are called an "umlaut", haven't figured out the key command on a PC but on a Mac it's SUPER easy (Command U then Shift U). For a PC I just google it and cut and paste!!

I contacted Peter Jowett earlier this year as he was trying to find some people for a trip up there in Aug/Sept to write a new book (he placed an ad on Kijiji of all places). A trip with a former Park Warden and author would be absolutely AMAZING!! Google Nahanni on Kijiji and see if he is still looking for people to join him!!

Have a great trip, I'm jealous as hell! I'll have to wait a few more years to be able to afford a trip like that!!

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-community...AdIdZ207899591

P

Last edited by ÜberFly; 07-21-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:10 AM

My dad and I canoed the Nahanni from the moose ponds down to Blackstone landing with Nahanni Wilderness Adventures last summer. The total trip took 22 days (19 on the river). If you dont have some good whitewater experience I would go in from Rabbit Kettle lake (where the Tufa mounds are) or Virginia falls. The Outfitter started a new format for his trips and Unfortunately it was some what disorganized. The trip was an outfitting light trip so you did all the work and still paid the same price as fully outfitted. Not that a person would not have helped but there was a work schedual as to which group was doing what when. Im sure the outfitter would have changed a few things after that trip or at least I would hope so. The guides were very pleasent and easy to get along with during the trip. I give them a big thumbs up. The supplied equipment was very top notch so you were not dealing with a bunch of cheap crap that was always breaking. The outfitter and the guides were very Experienced canoists and I learned alot on the trip about whitewater canoing. We did swim a few times in the rapids(not on purpose) and found out how much fun it was emptying the water out of a very loaded canoe.(we did get pretty good at it buy the end of the major white water. (the first 60-70 km)
The scenery was awsome. I would definatly recommend canoing or rafting bleow virgina falls to anyone with some decent experience(canoing). The miles of canyons were so awsome you would have to be there to believe it. Due to the low river starting a the moose ponds was definatly not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced. we went through class 3+ rapids in very loaded canoes so it was like driveing a tank through an Indy course.

Would I recommend the Outfitter? Yes if he changes some stuff on the trip. He was very Knowledgeable about the area. If he doesn’t change a thing than no. Disorganization that far back in the sticks isn't a good thing. If you would like more info feel free to P.M. me.

Last edited by JEHL75; 07-21-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM

There is nothing I would love more (well maybe a couple things but I can't think of them right now) than to canoe from Moose Ponds, but my wife doesn't canoe so we are looking at the outfitted raft trip from Virginia Falls. Good to hear about the equipment quality. I was worrying about that. I assume the fully guided raft trip would be better organized since it repeats so often (hope).