Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
Lens Thompson does make a decent quality spoon.

Everyone is making it seem they are the only quality spoon company out there!!! I want to say that Lens Thompson isn't higher quality than any other name brand spoon.

They are better than those no name brand spoons, or anything from a cheap brand but they are also not the only company who makes quality spoons.

You get what you pay for.
They have better hooks than Acme and the premium line of Lucky Strikes... and they cost less. They also cost less than Daredevil, which I don't think are any higher quality, and they cost less than Williams which admit are probably a little better made. They cost less than Gibbs and Luhr Jensen, both of which are produced in China now, and they cost less than Mepps which I'm no longer sure of the origin.

They are the best priced premium, north American made spoon out there. And they beat out many of the Chinese re-branded spoons.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:52 PM

Those brands listed above are pretty good, but you might need to switch out the hooks for some of them. I also don't care where a products is made, as long as its good quality. I would rather support a company who makes good quality products in China than a company who makes crap products in Canada.

I think it would be a shame if Cabelas drops Len Thompson but I don't think its the end of the world. Why not just buy them at Walmart? There are many Walmarts and Canadian Tires in the city.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 PM

Not sure about the whole Cabela's debate but I know this.

You can order direct online from Len Thompson and they have free shipping on orders over $65 to Canada. You can get any size, color and style you want.

You can also order custom lures
Old 08-17-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I think it would be a shame if Cabelas drops Len Thompson but I don't think its the end of the world. Why not just buy them at Walmart? There are many Walmarts and Canadian Tires in the city.
Now than Len Thompson has dropped their online prices it is cheaper to buy directly from them if you can wait the few days for delivery. Personally I try to avoid Walmart and Crappy Tire as much as possible. The only time I buy tackle from Walmart is in the winter when they have much of the summer tackle in the clearance bins, but even then most of it is junk. It has been close to 3 years since I have set foot in a Crappy Tire but at that time they were the most expensive when it came to tackle. The local stores don't carry fresh bait. Their rod and reel selection was poor at best. This means I'm either shopping at the Fishin Hole or Cabela's. In this case neither carried the hooks I was looking for.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-19-2018, 08:55 AM

Which hooks were you looking for Ghostguy?

The Fishin Hole south just added to their selection last week. They now have more colors and more sizes in some of the colors. They got them in last this last week
Old 08-19-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Now than Len Thompson has dropped their online prices it is cheaper to buy directly from them if you can wait the few days for delivery. Personally I try to avoid Walmart and Crappy Tire as much as possible. The only time I buy tackle from Walmart is in the winter when they have much of the summer tackle in the clearance bins, but even then most of it is junk. It has been close to 3 years since I have set foot in a Crappy Tire but at that time they were the most expensive when it came to tackle. The local stores don't carry fresh bait. Their rod and reel selection was poor at best. This means I'm either shopping at the Fishin Hole or Cabela's. In this case neither carried the hooks I was looking for.
Interesting!!!

I find Cebellas good because they have an amazing selection of all sorts of fishing stuff.

I like walmart because it's so convenient, since I go once in a while anyways, and they have cheap prices for spoons and stuff even if there is no sale. Also sometimes they have great sales too.

Canadian Tire has some fire sales sometimes. I bought 3 rods, that had a combined retail over 500 dollars for only 150 bucks. Also, sometimes they have assorted rapalas for 2 dollars each!!!! Other than that, its very expensive.

I really like TFH but I rarely go since high prices and small selection. The only time I really buy a lot of stuff is the summer sale.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Banned

Not just a Canadian company but a ALBERTA company...

I am sure you can equal what they put out, but can you beat them?

Cabelas/BPS is making a mistake by dropping them in Canada...
Old 08-19-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

Len Thompson lures we’re here long before Cabelas and BPS. They’ll be here long after those two companies have gone. Len Thompson has a faithful following and nothing is going to change that.

BW
Old 08-19-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Interesting!!!

I find Cebellas good because they have an amazing selection of all sorts of fishing stuff.

I like walmart because it's so convenient, since I go once in a while anyways, and they have cheap prices for spoons and stuff even if there is no sale. Also sometimes they have great sales too.

Canadian Tire has some fire sales sometimes. I bought 3 rods, that had a combined retail over 500 dollars for only 150 bucks. Also, sometimes they have assorted rapalas for 2 dollars each!!!! Other than that, its very expensive.

I really like TFH but I rarely go since high prices and small selection. The only time I really buy a lot of stuff is the summer sale.

I find it odd that you think the fishin hole has a small selection. They beat cabelas for stock on pretty much everything and I go to both stores. What kind of items are you buying that aren’t at the fishin hole?

The sale starts Wednesday, I’ll be stocking up on lots of terminal tackle myself
Old 08-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Which hooks were you looking for Ghostguy?

The Fishin Hole south just added to their selection last week. They now have more colors and more sizes in some of the colors. They got them in last this last week
I was specifically looking for the smaller sized ( 6,7,8) fire tiger,orange flame and rainbow trout patterns.

Glad to hear they are expanding their lineup.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I find it odd that you think the fishin hole has a small selection. They beat cabelas for stock on pretty much everything and I go to both stores. What kind of items are you buying that aren’t at the fishin hole?

The sale starts Wednesday, I’ll be stocking up on lots of terminal tackle myself
X2

The big box stores have some unbeatable sales on one off items now and then, but prices are better on most things too.

The service can’t be beat, and you’re supporting a local business.

Win/Win/Win/Win
Old 08-20-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

x2, on all of this. Name one other tackle company that donates proceeds when tragedy strikes Alberta. And the point of my previous posts, is that you cant even equal them without paying more money.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:

I personally spin fish. So I find Cabelas have more reels, both spinning and baitcasting. I feel like Cabellas has more rods as well. As well, I find cabellas has more line options.

I think Cabelas has also more selection of hardbaits since they carry way more brands. Also they have much more soft plastics and options for hooks.

Since I don't fly fish, I can't compare the two. Also, I am comparing TFH in Calgary to the Cabelas in Calgary.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I personally spin fish. So I find Cabelas have more reels, both spinning and baitcasting. I feel like Cabellas has more rods as well. As well, I find cabellas has more line options.

I think Cabelas has also more selection of hardbaits since they carry way more brands. Also they have much more soft plastics and options for hooks.

Since I don't fly fish, I can't compare the two. Also, I am comparing TFH in Calgary to the Cabelas in Calgary.
Cabelas does have more products/selection in some categories, especially the lower end stuff, but take away the knock off Cabelas branded gear, and I bet the comparison is really close. Bass Pro Shops is even worse, there's a lot of stuff in their fishing section, but the actual selection is pretty poor.

TFH is definitely quality over quantity.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Cabelas does have more products/selection in some categories, especially the lower end stuff, but take away the knock off Cabelas branded gear, and I bet the comparison is really close. Bass Pro Shops is even worse, there's a lot of stuff in their fishing section, but the actual selection is pretty poor.

TFH is definitely quality over quantity.
I think 75% of Cabela and BPS gear is no good. But 25% is really good. Lots of Cabela reels are made by diawa, and BPS pro qualifier is really good.

I really like high end baitcasters and jerkbaits. I find that when I need "nice" things, I always have to go to Cabelas or BPS. For example, TFH has rapalas, but BPS has luckycraft and Cabelas has Jackell.

I find the only highend gear TFH has is spinning rods.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Interesting!!!

I actually stopped by Walmart and Crappy Tire today.

Walmart's selection was pathetic on all fishing products. Mostly southbend, and Lucky Strike. The fishing sections has been downsized by half since the last time I was there. A few Len Thompsons in stock not a single slot was full, prices $0.40 -$1.00 more than buying direct for the website.

Crappy Tire's selection was much better, 3 entire rows related to fishing. Decent selection of tackle. Most of the rods were poor to medium quality at best. Len Thomspons were $1.00 - $2.50 more than the website.