Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Banned

No offence to farmers, as I come from a farming family and a farming town. But they aren't any more "mature" with firearms than anyone else I know. They might be better shots.

Now, having said that, I think your idea is a great one, and I already think it should be extended to every household in Canada.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
That's another problem. Ambulance got lost getting here once well over an hour for a 25 minute trip. Ever done CPR for an hour?
You think you're in shape until something like that.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
That's another problem. Ambulance got lost getting here once well over an hour for a 25 minute trip. Ever done CPR for an hour?
A farmer friends father died from a heart attack because the ambulance kept getting the roads messed up and that wasn't too far from Lomond. Where it's pretty much checkerboard roads
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 AM

The police can not keep you safe. More police will not keep you safe. It's not the government's job to keep you safe. You are responsible for You!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Rural areas are safer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=w8Sbf_piIQQ

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

Gee, nothing in that video really lines up with what the liberals have been telling me.

"I never took a gun off of a criminal that was registered to the criminal." West Taylor, 42 year police veteran

Good video.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 AM

One of the RCMP officers here tried to revitalize the COP program. Out of 10 applicants only 2 of us came in and had our criminal checks done. We both cleared. The other 8 did not come for a check. Go figure no COP program.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
I live in Cowtown,, if I call the cops they will be at my door from 3 thru 7 minutes (I'm lucky as I live around the corner from a cop coffee hangout).

However, some of those rural locations are really rural,, why can't the RC's appoint Sheriffs or Deputies to take care of those areas until they can get there. Maybe one household every two range roads? What is the area that a few RC's cover?

It's not like the rural crowd don't have firearms or don't know the area,, if anything the long time locals have more knowledge of the areas and have a better ear to the ground on troublemakers. And, that crappy element would know that an extra policing is in the area.

My guess is that those theft and assault rings know where the RC's are and usually far away.
And what would this constable actually do in any of the situations we have seen? Assault the house and rescue the hostages as the police are still 20 minutes away? You mention firearms so I assume you see these "constable" using them, and decding what situation is appropriate to do so. What sort of training and control would they have?

No.... this is a bad idea. Better the farmer just take his shotgun along with him when he's on the tractor and defend himsefif necessary.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I like the idea, but I see it over time turning into exactly what it's not supposed to be.
I don't worry about bad guys to much anymore, all they need is a reason to leave you alone.
Unfortunately we still don't have castle laws that protect the homeowner thoroughly enough.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No.... this is a bad idea. Better the farmer just take his shotgun along with him when he's on the tractor and defend himsefif necessary.
You didn't read all the posts. Not all people in the rural's are as agile as they once were,,, if they call the RC's, the call can be forwarded to an auxiliary-guy who can be at the property until the RC's can get there. Not every situation is going to be a hostage situation. And, it doesn't take much to train people, it's a system to close that crucial time/distance gap. CPR came into the discussion as well.

Anyways, it was just an idea to be expanded upon.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You didn't read all the posts. Not all people in the rural's are as agile as they once were,,, if they call the RC's, the call can be forwarded to an auxiliary-guy who can be at the property until the RC's can get there. .
With gun in hand, and do what? I'd rather people that are properly armed and knowledgable about the situation defend themselves, than have others with little training taking action and opening fire. "Why did you shoot my son?????? We were just having an argument! He would have calmed down!!!!". No thanks.

Plus you just KNOW that some guy who is named a constable is going to go all Zimmerman and start stopping or pursuing anyone he thinks looks suspicious.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
You didn't read all the posts. Not all people in the rural's are as agile as they once were,,, if they call the RC's, the call can be forwarded to an auxiliary-guy who can be at the property until the RC's can get there. Not every situation is going to be a hostage situation. And, it doesn't take much to train people, it's a system to close that crucial time/distance gap. CPR came into the discussion as well.

Anyways, it was just an idea to be expanded upon.
And what is he to do when he gets there???/

It doesn't take much to trainpeople????????? Wonder why we have so many cops in trouble?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
With gun in hand, and do what? I'd rather people that are properly armed and knowledgable about the situation defend themselves, than have others with little training taking action and opening fire. "Why did you shoot my son?????? We were just having an argument! He would have calmed down!!!!". No thanks.

Plus you just KNOW that some guy who is named a constable is going to go all Zimmerman and start stopping or pursuing anyone he thinks looks suspicious.
Once again, further back, I mentioned training for very remote people like Dales wife and their daughter.

Try thinking along the lines of getting a call as if you are a volunteer firefighter. You're not on patrol, you are just a regular until you get a call to assess a situation till the boys in blue can get there.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Wow Oko come up with one imaginary scenario and we shouldn't pursue this?

Zimmerman was acquitted by a jury of his peers, wtf more do you want?

Isn't it wonderful that people who haven't got a clue about rural life enjoy dictating to us how to live. Thanks Oko, my daughters feel so much safer knowing Canadians like you don't want them to have the protection of a simple rural constabulary consisting of citizens approved by the masses.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
The police can not keep you safe. More police will not keep you safe. It's not the government's job to keep you safe. You are responsible for You!
The only role the Police play in all of this is to do the paperwork!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 AM

Cool...'nother rambo bang bang thread
Old 01-11-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Cool...'nother rambo bang bang thread
Oh cool another useless troll post .

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw