Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM

Default Cuba - a few questions

The boss and I are looking into a warm vacation in Cuba, we are still deciding between Veradero, Cayo Coco and Cayo Santa Maria but having never been there I need some guidance from folks who have:

-What is the local currency (sounds stupid, I know) and how readily are credit cards accepted in tourist areas? Does stuff like Interac work there?

-We are thinking about renting a car and doing some driving around...how safe are the roads? Are tourists in rental cars targets for thieves? Are the rules of the road similar to Alberta (without the gun rack in the back window)

-What is normal for tipping in an all-inclusive resort?

-Is the electrical services similar to North American or similar to Europe (ie do we need to bring adaptors for stuff like laptops, iPads etc.)

We just want to go there with our head up, surprises are generally bad.

Thx in advance for any input
Zeke

-Are the police trustworthy or corrupt (we had a bad experience in Mexico where we were shaken down by the cops for a bribe)
Old 01-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Was in Veradero in April and loved it. Awesome white sand beaches and we felt super safe. Stayed at a 5* but with anything Cuban you need to knock off a couple stars so a 5* is really a 3*. Our food was good but this was the first time I never gained weight at a resort.
The tourist Peso ( CUC ) is the standard and this is what you will need to pay for everything unless you venture off the beating path and hang outside the tourist spots then you can use the local Peso. The CUC is about one for one with the CDN dollar but you will lose some if you excange it at your hotel.
The scam outside the resorts is to provide change in local Peso when you pay in CUC. One CUC= about 25 local Pesos.

I tipped 1 CUC on everything from drinks to towels and I left more for the cleaning staff each night. Make sure to take a couple large travel mugs so you can get a large drink and have to go back less often. ( I found the service rather slow )

Havana is a must see but Old Havana was the only time we were ever bugged for handouts from kids to old people and guys drawing your picture as you walk and trying to sell it to you.

Also make sure you have 25 CUC each on you for when you hit the airport to leave. After you check in you need to pay this exit fee.

Have fun

Currency

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-...ency-Cuba.html

Rental Cars

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g14...ntal.Cars.html

Electric

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g14...ectricity.html

Safety

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g14...nd.Safety.html
Old 01-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Been there a ton of times, usually to Varadero

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
The boss and I are looking into a warm vacation in Cuba, we are still deciding between Veradero, Cayo Coco and Cayo Santa Maria but having never been there I need some guidance from folks who have:

-What is the local currency (sounds stupid, I know) and how readily are credit cards accepted in tourist areas? Does stuff like Interac work there?
Credit Cards are generally accepted in tourist areas, but the systems go down often enough, always have cash back up. Interac does not work in my experience. ATMs don't work with Canadian cards The currency is the Cuban Convertible Peso (they actually have a tourist dollar and a non tourist dollar, the non tourist dollar is worthless, they are basically only useful for rations). You can't buy CUP's in canada, it isn't a freely exchanged currency so you'll need to convert down there. Only bring canadian dollars, old guidebooks will say to bring USD, they add an extra 10% to the conversion... Without conversion rates the CUP is exactly par with the USD, this is by the definition of their gov't.

-We are thinking about renting a car and doing some driving around...how safe are the roads? Are tourists in rental cars targets for thieves? Are the rules of the road similar to Alberta (without the gun rack in the back window)
Good luck with driving. Best bet, with least headache is to just hire a car and driver for the day. Driving can be difficult, there isnt the best of signage, they use euro signage, roads can be bad, and if you're in an accident that involves harm to someone you can be stuck there until the courts have decided the issue. You can get a drive in an old classic (last time we took a 57 belair, with a 2012 hyundai diesel, air-con and disc brakes in it) with a driver who is knowledgable etc for a bit more than the cost of the rental. If you're going to Varadero send me a PM I'll get you the contact info for a tour guide and a driver if you want. I've never known theft to be a real issue there for rental cars, but be smart and dont leave a stack of money in the car, with it parked in a shady alleyway

You don't HAVE to tip.. but I usually tip a CUP every time I get a drink order, and leave a few at the table after meals. Not necessary but why not. The more you tip the better the service, without a doubt, and depending on the resort it might impact the drinks you get. At one resort we were talking with the bartender and she was saying how only certain drinks and mix etc were provided by the hotel, but they bought the rest with tips to make better drinks, I think they had to buy their own limes etc... so if you weren't contributing to the lime fund, don't expect to be getting much from it. In the big picture it's not too much... Another thing to keep in mind though, is that the folks who work in the resorts and in the tourist areas are basically the richest people in Cuba. They might put on the act and stuff, but don't be fooled, they're not living that badly. They are the ones who have access to foreign currency and all the gifts etc that folks bring down, most run their own shops selling these gifts. Tip them, but don't think that you're helping out the destitute and poor, regardless of what they say.

-Is the electrical services similar to North American or similar to Europe (ie do we need to bring adaptors for stuff like laptops, iPads etc.)
I wouldn't risk plugging much in in Cuba. You're off the grid, enjoy it. Some resorts run American voltage, others european, others do both. A friend fried her hair ...curler? Straightener? Something like that, on what we were told was american voltage... Next time we went she did the same, using an adaptor on a european outlet....you might find some phone etc adaptors that run all the voltages, i've found those work on the shaver plugins...

Zeke

-Are the police trustworthy or corrupt (we had a bad experience in Mexico where we were shaken down by the cops for a bribe)

Never had a bad experience with the cops there. They are typically pretty professional. We went to a ball game and our driver parked where he shouldnt have. The cop moved the car to a parking spot for him (he had left the keys in it, as alot of cubans do) We've run in to them when we were drinking heavily down town and they've been nice, as well as we've been pulled over in taxi's of .... questionable legality and they talked with the driver but didn't bat an eye at us. If you are breaking the law you may get a roadside fine, but from everything I've been told... don't consider trying to bribe them

Enjoy the trip, if you have any other questions ask me.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post

Zeke

Do not rent a car in Cuba.
If involved in an accident you won't be returning home anytime soon.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/07/22/c...ter-car-crash/
Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Default credit cards

They will only accept canadian based credit cards. I have an MBNA mastercard that they wouldn't take because the parent company is based in the U.S.My Canadian Tire Mastercard worked there.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:58 PM

Guess I'd advise against Cayo Santa Maria. Wife tried to talk me into it and son just got back. An Island connected to the mainland by a 24 Km. causeway, so you're pretty isolated. 70. dollars for a taxi to the nearest town. Last time they stayed at a resort between Varadero and Havana, out of the main tourist area. Loved it. Just by the tone of your questioning, You don't want to drive in Cuba. All kinds of reasons not to, one of the big ones being if you get in an accident, you'll be staying in their other kind of all inclusive till it's dealt with, which will be months. Gotta remember, it's North Korea, Light.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 01-10-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Guess I'd advise against Cayo Santa Maria. Wife tried to talk me into it and son just got back. An Island connected to the mainland by a 24 Km. causeway, so you're pretty isolated. 70. dollars for a taxi to the nearest town. Last time they stayed at a resort between Varadero and Havana, out of the main tourist area. Loved it. Just by the tone of your questioning, You don't want to drive in Cuba. All kinds of reasons not to, one of the big ones being if you get in an accident, you'll be staying in their other kind of all inclusive till it's dealt with, which will be months. Gotta remember, it's North Korea, Light.

Grizz
No you just get to stat at the resort longer. Young man that was kept in Cuba did say he was treated well, they just won't let him leave the country in case he did something worthy of jail, I mean would you go back? His mom had to pay for the extended stay though.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Just returned from Cayo coco yesterday! We stayed at memories flamenco beach, and the resort was great! Weather was beautiful too. The island is a bit isolated, but if you just want to laze by the beach and drink cocktails, then it is a non issue. If you want many options for activities off of the resort then perhaps varadero would better suit your taste. The cuc was 1.16 Canadian to buy, at the airport, and at the resort. I would recommend Cayo coco though, it was a great time!!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Smile Don't drive!

As said before get a car and driver. No one mentioned it but I didn't see a gas station, our driver called a friend who met us with a clear plastic 10 gal container filled with diesel. It was "left over" when a large truck filled up. The young fellow was great! Worth the price.

The beach at Varadero is the best I've seen.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcool View Post
Been there a ton of times, usually to Varadero

Enjoy the trip, if you have any other questions ask me.
Every point you made was spot on except for the "richest people in Cuba bit". This is not correct in the slightest sense and even if it were true, the richest person in Cuba is still, well, the richest person in Cuba.

The wealthiest people in Cuba are politicians, doctors, professors, and athletes, not resort workers, and I'm talking relative wealth, not wealth in our Albertan sense. With the massive amount of resorts on the island if resort workers were highly paid, the GDP per capita of the country would be a hell of a lot higher. Are they higher paid than say, a gas station attendant on the central part of the island? Probably, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between making $5/day and $50/day, they're still struggling.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 PM

I stayed in Cayo Santa Maria at the memories Azul last April and it was phenomenal. The beaches are incredible the water is the bluest I've ever seen. The food was so so but you've got to kind of accept that going anywhere in Cuba. There were plenty of excursions to do while there and you could rent scooters to explore the island. You are a bit "secluded" while there but you get a free tour of "Cuban life" when coming from the airport and going back. I'd go back in a heartbeat but I suggest doing some research so you have an idea of what to expect. It's a pretty unique country!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Every point you made was spot on except for the "richest people in Cuba bit". This is not correct in the slightest sense and even if it were true, the richest person in Cuba is still, well, the richest person in Cuba.

The wealthiest people in Cuba are politicians, doctors, professors, and athletes, not resort workers, and I'm talking relative wealth, not wealth in our Albertan sense. With the massive amount of resorts on the island if resort workers were highly paid, the GDP per capita of the country would be a hell of a lot higher. Are they higher paid than say, a gas station attendant on the central part of the island? Probably, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between making $5/day and $50/day, they're still struggling.
Politicians for sure are the wealthiest... but only the elite. Keep in mind pretty much everyone in the country is paid the same.. it's a communist country. They have a tremendous number of doctors (about 200 patients to a doctor), they don't receive much more than the average person, but are given a car. Look around the resorts and talk to folks about what their educations are. In my experience they are filled with lawyers, engineers, doctors and the animation staff (the ones who organize beach volley ball etc) are athletes, beyond what we would associate with their professions of lifeguard, bartender etc.

The resort workers are not highly PAID per se, but they are the wealthiest due to their access to foreign currency that the rest of the citizens don't really have access to, and the fact that they are given huge amounts of items they then sell off to others. One bartender we made friends with ended up inviting us to his house after a long series of drunken questions about life in Cuba. His house was move in ready, by canadian standards. Flat screen tv, marble countertops, new fridge and stove, well appointed.

One of our Cuban friends has taken advantage of the loosened travel restrictions by going on a trip to italy, and then another to france. Hard to say she is struggling....

This isn't to say that there are alot of people in Cuba that don't have much, or that are struggling by on dollars a day... but the folks that you will interact with at resorts and tourist areas aren't these people. We asked around the church in Varadero at the suggestion of a friend with regards to helping some folks.. gifts for kids in need. They can set you up with a city/town away from tourist areas where there are people in greater need.

We went to the ball game in Matanzas we were probably the only gringos there. We were also probably the most underdressed by far. You name the name brand, and people were wearing it. Armani seemed to be popular. We were shooting the bull with the guy sitting beside me he was all done up, gold watch, chains, armani tshirt some other name brand jeans. 2 days later the same guy comes up to us on the beach, covered in dirt, greasy canadians sweater and tattered jeans on, hawking coconuts and telling people how he needs the money for his kids and how poor he is. He started on me until I pointed out we met at the game and he slinked away.

Anyways, my point isn't that you shouldnt tip folks at resorts, on the contrary, do, for sure... but just don't be suckered in to thinking that you are helping out the poorest folks there...
Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 AM

Cuba is great - Verradero is very safe and Havana is beautiful but dirty.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transport147 View Post
Cuba is great - Verradero is very safe and Havana is beautiful but dirty.
Lots of guns to see in Havana. Mostly big and really old. Toured El Morro last time but La Cabana is supposed to be better with a real museum. Wall there where Che had the Batista heavies, shot.

Grizz
Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 AM

http://www.debbiesreviews.proboards....ral-cuba-board I found this site was helpful- poke around in the general forum and most of your questions were asked by previous posters.

We flew into Varadero, but our resort was in Jibacoa which is closer to Havanna-Adult only- small resort with great snorkeling- Perfect for us cuz we are old and like peace and tranquility. And much closer for a day trip into Havanna.
Downside was some petroleum odors in the morning depending on wind direction.

But if you like to party than you would probably enjoy Varadero more.

Money exchange at Varadero airport is just inside the doors in the departure terminal- so exit arrivals and head back inside to grab cash. So don't worry if you can't find the money exchange as you leave the carousel with your bags

Get VIP lounge passes from your resort for departure day. You will thank me later

Last edited by omega50; 01-11-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:35 AM

z
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
http://www.debbiesreviews.proboards....ral-cuba-board I found this site was helpful- poke around in the general forum and most of your questions were asked by previous posters.

We flew into Varadero, but our resort was in Jibacoa which is closer to Havanna-Adult only- small resort with great snorkeling- Perfect for us cuz we are old and like peace and tranquility. And much closer for a day trip into Havanna.
Downside was some petroleum odors in the morning depending on wind direction.

But if you like to party than you would probably enjoy Varadero more.

Money exchange at Varadero airport is just inside the doors in the departure terminal- so exit arrivals and head back inside to grab cash. So don't worry if you can't find the money exchange as you leave the carousel with your bags

Get VIP lounge passes from your resort for departure day. You will thank me later
Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
z
Best deal for money is the ATM outside the bank in DT Varadero. That thing spits it out faster than the machine back home and you don't need to go through presenting your passport etc. Just be sure you have a Canadian based credit card.

Grizz
Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
z
That is one way to get your post count back up in a hurry

Lonely in Banned Camp?