Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 PM

I waited for Ed my postman this afternoon and ambushed him. We have known eachother for about 10 years now and are friends. I've done some welding for him and he has helped me out in the garage more than a few times.
I told him about this thread and asked if he would mind telling me what he makes a year. If he didn't want to, that would be fine with me.
He said "sure, no problem". He already knows what I make a year (I'm a courier and he was thinking changing jobs).
He said he makes roughly $60,000 a year all in all. He's been a mail man for 15 years. He said he is pretty close to the max and most carriers make around $45-50,000 a year all in all.
Straight from the horses mouth.

Hmmm... his name is Ed... horses mouth......OMG! HE'S MR ED!!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 PM

When I was working, the company benefits were about 27% of annual salary
Company pension plan, vacation, dental plan - entire family, medical plan - entire family, eye ware, life insurance, disability insurance.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Banned

pikergolf,

I had a really good metric-supported rant all done up for this, and then looked at your avatar and just kinda chilled and calmed down, and I guess thanks for that; or maybe 'cause I love the movie it's from.

So, rant V2, ie not so much a rant: I don't know where the $93K figure came from, I haven't been able to sort it, but since CP is not a publicly traded company much of what I'd expect from a normal annual report isn't available.

I can if you wish throw the metric I do have into the mix along with a reasonable considered argument, or I can just give a summary: postal workers have a really really rich contract and don't have to work very hard for their remuneration. I can defend that if this thread stays civil and cares enough to discuss as opposed to argue. Argue, heck, we need to sit around a table with cigars and single malt solving the world's problems.

OK, so that said.

pikergolf again, if you don't mind me asking who your employer is, you state you pay half of your pension contributions, I've just gone through 67 public pension plans (it's great having a brother who ran NorthWest Life, Seaboard Life, Industrial Alliance Pacific, and sits on boards of companies that administer pensions, I get to live vicariously through his wealth) and none, NOT ONE has the employees matching the contributions of the employer. None, nada, bugger all; so again if you don't mind, to which pension plan are you contributing? On a different thread I pointed out that the posting employee was in fact contributing less than his employer (City of Calgary iirc), I'm sure he was honest in his equal-contributory belief as I'm sure you are; just as sure as I am that you're incorrect.

That all said, do you want to do some research yourself or do you want me to shatter your position and do the "kids in the hall crush your head" thing because I do have the metrics to do so.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 PM

All I can tell you Peter is that I was presented with a bill for 3 months of benefit coverage and it was about double of what was coming off my cheques, when I was receiving them. Maybe my employer pays a little more than half, if they do it's not much over. Irregardless, it comes nowhere near the 46,000 dollars being tossed around.

I have worked union my whole life and I get tired of lies and half truths being tossed around like coins at a coin toss. I've worked hard my whole life and taken pride in every job I've done, from sweeping floors on up. I could care less about your rant and will not defend myself against people like yourself. You don't like unions, big whoop, you defended the 93,000 dollar figure, post up your findings.

Yes I mind you asking who I work for, more info than I want to give.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Peter you were so sure of yourself, I had to check into my contributions for myself. You are correct my employer puts 2 dollars into my pension fund for every one I do, my apologies I was wrong. Not sure why my bill was only double what I was paying unless there is something I am not paying for, will see when the paper work comes. So I pay 300 a month, a little less but we'll call it 300, so my employer pays 600, this is pension only. My employer pays 7200 a year for my pension, even with other benefits still a far cry from 46,000.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
After wages and benefits your mailman is making $93,000 a year.

No wonder that rascal Harper wants to get rid of theim.

He wanted that $93,000 for Duffy????? So that is what is going on.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 AM

Just today I had a rifle delivered to my home, by a Canada post employee in a Canada post van. No knock, no doorbell ring, just tossed it on the front step and left. Luckily it had just come from Edmonton, so they hadn't had much time to toss it around and abuse it.

Canada Post may have brutal service, but would you rather get ripped off by UPS?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 AM

Can not believe Canada Post put a surcharge on parcels to Fort McMurray retail people. Talk about inequities.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 AM

Personally, I could care less what Canada Post pays their employees, that is between the company, and the union. What I do care about , is the poor standard of service that they provide, and the price they charge us for that service. This new $5 surcharge to Fort McMurray is total B.S..

If Canada Post and the union can't find a way to provide acceptable service, for an acceptable price, then perhaps we need to replace Canada Post, with someone who can give us better service for a more reasonable cost.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gill View Post
postal workers have a really really rich contract and don't have to work very hard for their remuneration.
I would love to see you try and keep up with my wife carrying mail for a week. You'd be crying like a school girl after 3 days. Maybe some don't work hard but there are others who do. And rich contract-what a laugh.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would love to see you try and keep up with my wife carrying mail for a week
With four Balkan, one Iraq and three Afghan tours behind me, did Urban Assaulter, Rural Assaulter, Ranger Challenge and Death Race and waiting on hip surgery I still passed the battle fitness test so yeah, I think I could keep up just fine.