Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Banned

Default Due the rash of rural assault, why not a rural public constabulary

I live in Cowtown,, if I call the cops they will be at my door from 3 thru 7 minutes (I'm lucky as I live around the corner from a cop coffee hangout).

However, some of those rural locations are really rural,, why can't the RC's appoint Sheriffs or Deputies to take care of those areas until they can get there. Maybe one household every two range roads? What is the area that a few RC's cover?

It's not like the rural crowd don't have firearms or don't know the area,, if anything the long time locals have more knowledge of the areas and have a better ear to the ground on troublemakers. And, that crappy element would know that an extra policing is in the area.

My guess is that those theft and assault rings know where the RC's are and usually far away.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
I live in Cowtown,, if I call the cops they will be at my door from 3 thru 7 minutes (I'm lucky as I live around the corner from a cop coffee hangout).

However, some of those rural locations are really rural,, why can't the RC's appoint Sheriffs or Deputies to take care of those areas until they can get there. Maybe one household every two range roads? What is the area that a few RC's cover?

It's not like the rural crowd don't have firearms or don't know the area,, if anything the long time locals have more knowledge of the areas and have a better ear to the ground on troublemakers. And, that crappy element would know that an extra policing is in the area.

My guess is that those theft and assault rings know where the RC's are and usually far away.
I like the idea, and I would be in for it.

What about the legalities behind it? Is it even possible?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM

I like the idea, but I see it over time turning into exactly what it's not supposed to be.
I don't worry about bad guys to much anymore, all they need is a reason to leave you alone.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
I like the idea, and I would be in for it.

What about the legalities behind it? Is it even possible?
I don't know????

But I think since these last two incident that the RC's are ineffective or way under staffed.

Years ago when we were driving through Turner Valley area (down hwy 22), if you past the RC going the opposite direction and saw the other one parked at the cop-shop, you knew that you could speed a bit because that patrol would be the only one for quite sometime.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I like the idea, but I see it over time turning into exactly what it's not supposed to be.
I don't worry about bad guys to much anymore, all they need is a reason to leave you alone.
Problem is that some of the bad guys have figured out that acreages and farms can be easy pickings at times. Lots of easy to steal items combined with a distance from law enforcement and many times nobody around during the days, can create a theifs paradise.

My wife and daughter are home all day long without me around. We are on an acreage, and I will be damned if they are going to be reliant on waiting on the RCMP to show up.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok, so you create a rotation,,, most firefighters in the rural's either get a small stipend and/or are volunteers. Why can't such a system work through the farm areas,, it would also work well in conjunction with hunting season where the CO's/F&W are miles from any given area if a call comes of something not right, and really don't know all those back road's as well as the farmers.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Problem is that some of the bad guys have figured out that acreages and farms can be easy pickings at times. Lots of easy to steal items combined with a distance from law enforcement and many times nobody around during the days, can create a theifs paradise.

My wife and daughter are home all day long without me around. We are on an acreage, and I will be damned if they are going to be reliant on waiting on the RCMP to show up.
Exactly.

I'm not for CCW but farmers are about the most mature with their firearms, and know the area and their neighbors and so forth and so forth. If something does go ass-backwards, like an armed assault at a farm,, at least the perpetrators would be seen or more easily tracked.

Look what happened in Killam, even the RC's had to wait forever for back up. Or this last incident, it was those two cops and that was it.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

I'm not for CCW but farmers are about the most mature with their firearms, and know the area and their neighbors and so forth and so forth. If something does go ass-backwards, like an armed assault at a farm,, at least the perpetrators would be seen or more easily tracked.

Look what happened in Killam, even the RC's had to wait forever for back up. Or this last incident, it was those two cops and that was it.
Brings up a similar story re RCMP.

I rode along with a relative a couple years back. Small girl, 5'4" and probably 110lbs tops. Called out to a domestic in the middle of nowhere. I know the local area, and we were off grid. No cell service, no neighbors for miles... And they send this little gal into what could potentially be a bad situation without a thought.. It went well, but it could have turned out the same as this last incident had it gone another way.

I know they are trained and blah blah, but sometimes the shtf.

Locals know these areas better than any others.. I would think that your average RCMP officer is just starting to get the lay of the local rural area when they are up for a transfer to a new area.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 PM

I love the idea. I have always wanted to be on a posse.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:

I have similar concerns and in the past had a feud with much of the punks in the "my client was robbed at gunpoint" thread. I was really truly worried about my family's safety at one point. They had burned my cousins house to the ground, firebombed a older house on another cousins property, threats against wives and children... It was really ugly. Would I have felt better that buddy 3 miles over is a "local deputy" is watching my fam jam? Depends on who it is. Eventually dealt with the issue and I'm not concerned about them anymore. Problem was me and my side had to think of consequences to our actions, these kind of people simply don't care because they don't have anything to loose. We got creative. I'm not saying it's right to solve your own problems and it's not for everyone, but did taking care of my own issues give me more peace of mind than nosy Harry who quads from the house to the shop.... Guess
Old 01-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Banned

This is the closest thing, but no arms are allowed. There is a reserve unit made up of retired officers but once again no side-arms allowed. If the Auxiliary was added in 1963, why can't an armed auxiliary be added to match the times now.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Auxiliary[edit]

The RCMP started its Auxiliary programme in 1963 to assist the police during emergencies. The program was created under the Emergency Measures Act, but as time went by, the program evolved into its present day status: complementing the RCMP in general operations.[3] Auxiliary Constables work in Federal/national (RCMP), Provincial and Municipal Police Forces.

RCMP Auxiliary Constables History[edit]

Royal Canadian Mounted Police heraldic badge.
RCMP first introduced the program to the provinces in 1963.
Restricted to provinces/territories which have policing contracts with the RCMP and have provincial legislation providing for the appointment of auxiliaries.
Active auxiliary programs are currently in place in all provinces except Ontario and Quebec, which have their own provincial police forces and do not require RCMP. The only exception is the National Capital Region (Ottawa-Gatineau) which is under federal, not provincial, control.

Approximately 2,400 auxiliary members, divided among the different provincial auxiliary programs are currently serving with the RCMP. General policy guidelines are issued from Headquarters. Divisions, in co-operation with the provincial governments, are responsible for organising and administering the program within these guidelines. All costs associated with the program are the responsibility of the provincial government. Uniforms are supplied by the RCMP and costs charged back to the provinces.

Current Status[edit]
Auxiliary members are unpaid volunteers and since they are not employees of the RCMP, they are not entitled to the normal benefits and privileges of regular members.
Applicants for the RCMP auxiliary constable program are identified in the communities.
Applicants who volunteer must meet basic requirements.
Applicants must achieve and maintain a security clearance
Applicants must volunteer 160 hours annually
Auxiliary members wear a uniform with shoulder badges showing the word "Auxiliary/Auxiliaire" as well as on their jackets and ballistic vest
Auxiliaries are authorized to accompany regular members on patrol and perform other police functions under supervision, such as office duties, special events, property checks and traffic and crowd control. Additionally, they often assist regular members during peacetime emergencies and searches for lost persons.
Participants will be covered by insurance against injury and civil liability and will have completed the approved RCMP training program for auxiliary constables.[4]

Duties[edit]

Duties differs between each detachment, but in general, they perform the following tasks:[5]
Bike Patrols
Coastal Watch
Community Police Station /Office/Detachment activities
Community Policing/ Crime Prevention Display
Community/ Special Events
Fingerprinting Children
Neighbourhood Watch
Personal Safety Lectures and demonstrations
Safety talk and activities, such as safety audits
Traffic Control
Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Banned

A law enforcement auxiliary? The idea is good but the logistics of getting everyone trained might be a problem. Don't discount the rural crime watch system though, those phones start to ring pretty quick when something happens. I don't think that the Police want civilians rushing to the scene of a crime......just catch them after the fact.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not saying it's right to solve your own problems and it's not for everyone, but did taking care of my own issues give me more peace of mind than nosy Harry who quads from the house to the shop.... Guess
Maybe a voting system,,, everybody knows everybody, good and bad.

If you call the boys in blue, how long would it take them to get to you, or Dale?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:

If you call the boys in blue, how long would it take them to get to you, or Dale?
30mins minimum.

When seconds count, they are only minutes a away.

As far as the auxiliary thing goes... It's tough to get into. I have been trying for 5 years. Only so many positions available, and it all depends on who the coordinator is in the detachment.

I have a clean record and I am an upstanding citizen in the community.. Still haven't got the nod.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
A law enforcement auxiliary? The idea is good but the logistics of getting everyone trained might be a problem. Don't discount the rural crime watch system though, those phones start to ring pretty quick when something happens. I don't think that the Police want civilians rushing to the scene of a crime......just catch them after the fact.
You'd figure with the technology out there now that more surveillance/trail cams would be around.

You're already trained as are a lot of vets, and I'm sure some live on farms. How hard would training be? Or even self defense courses and upgraded firearms training for people like Dales wife and daughter up High Level way?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
30mins minimum.

When seconds count, they are only minutes a away.

As far as the auxiliary thing goes... It's tough to get into. I have been trying for 5 years. Only so many positions available, and it all depends on who the coordinator is in the detachment.

I have a clean record and I am an upstanding citizen in the community.. Still haven't got the nod.
30 minutes in perfect weather conditions and if officers available?

The auxiliary needs an overhaul,,, it was created over lack of enforcement and there are four notable incidence where the unarmed aspect has failed in its purpose.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:

35 mins on a bad day, 20 rippin in the summer.
Umm like the rural thing is you live near your people. Somebody messes with family my dads here, my cousins and lifelong friends are as close as 3 minutes and as far as 10 minutes at 2am. What kind of guys are going to want to be the deputy? Ones who have the time to do it. Meaning older fellas etc. Not saying there aren't capable people out there, but I know my blood has my back.
As for auxiliary unarmed that's a tough situation. What training do you have to complete to become auxiliary and what are min requirements you still need a 4:00 pare score?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:25 PM
Gone Hunting

3 to 7 minutes response time??/ Rather optimistic no?

So one day on this board, no one trusts anyone to CCW to protect their own life, and now we are going to arm the citizenry and task them with keeping the peace and protecting their neighbors?

I really think some guys don't get it. you must take the responsibility of protecting yourself. Cops can't do it and your neighbor can't do it. the government must allow the citizens the tools and the laws to do it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 PM

Wink

Here is the problem:

Country people need to start pulling their own weight.

We shoot tons of bad guys in the city.

You country people dont shoot any bad guys. You call the Mounties!

How bout you call the Mounties AFTER you shoot the bad guy??? Better yet, just shoot, shovel and shut up. Chances are the guy you shoot aint gonna be missed by anyone.

You sit around, milkin cows, leaving your doors unlocked, keys in your truck etc and you wonder why bad guys are now showing up on your doorstep.

If you would just shoot a few of those bad guys it would really help out us city folk. I mean every farmer has a gun behind the door, for predators, dont they????

Anyhow, thats my TIC 2 cents worth......
Old 01-09-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Here is the problem:

Country people need to start pulling their own weight.

We shoot tons of bad guys in the city.

You country people dont shoot any bad guys. You call the Mounties!

How bout you call the Mounties AFTER you shoot the bad guy??? Better yet, just shoot, shovel and shut up. Chances are the guy you shoot aint gonna be missed by anyone.

You sit around, milkin cows, leaving your doors unlocked, keys in your truck etc and you wonder why bad guys are now showing up on your doorstep.

If you would just shoot a few of those bad guys it would really help out us city folk. I mean every farmer has a gun behind the door, for predators, dont they????

Anyhow, thats my TIC 2 cents worth......
Vodka or sarcasm?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Vodka or sarcasm?
It doesnt take much. Wink in the corner of the title, TIC = tongue in cheek

And I dont drink so yeah, sarcasm. Slathered in sarcasm.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

So one day on this board, no one trusts anyone to CCW to protect their own life, and now we are going to arm the citizenry and task them with keeping the peace and protecting their neighbors?

I really think some guys don't get it. you must take the responsibility of protecting yourself. Cops can't do it and your neighbor can't do it. the government must allow the citizens the tools and the laws to do it.
3 minutes easy,, the neighbors had a prowler, his next door neighbours called it in and the cops were there before the reporting neighbour could call the property owner. I don't know about other parts of Calgary but response in our neighborhood is quick.

Like huntin said,, you guys out there are armed, why can't a few of you get the call to respond to an occurrence. Not every farmer is going to want to have a gun on their hip while working on equipment or checking on the cows. And not every neighbour is as spry as they'd like to be.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
It doesnt take much. Wink in the corner of the title, TIC = tongue in cheek

And I dont drink so yeah, sarcasm. Slathered in sarcasm.
Ahh I'm not hip to the new lingo the kids use I know thx lol lmao ttc <3 and thats about it. Missed the wink too
Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 PM

It's not a bad idea. The only problem is that many rural areas are so sparsely populated that response time to actually help would be almost impossible. Responding and at least getting a glimpse of the **** rat may be more likely. If I called a neighbor for an emergency it would be a minimum of 10 minutes for the closest one to get here. Anything is better than nothing though.

Why not simplify the entire thing and allow carry and pass castle laws? You anti CCW guys really don't believe that with the cops three minutes away a phone call is going to help you, do you? First of all you have to get to a phone, dial the number, wait for an answer, by now a determined attacker has done the deed. Yup the cops are still coming, they'll look good photographing the crime scene while armed. Hopefully the attacker leaves a beautiful
corpse. Another monument to societies failures.

Don't forget with the recent SCC ruling the cops are under NO obligation to protect you, your loved ones or your property. As Canadians we have engineered a system where the only one responsible for our safety is us. At the same time we have passed other laws that make sure our hands are zip tied to our dicks while we try to defend ourselves. Every evening we get to watch the news and view the horrors perpetrated by criminals on law abiding citizens. Then come on here and listen to the tampax lobby tell us why we shouldn't be allowed reasonable means of self defense. That as honest hard working citizens we should be compelled to be victims in our own homes, cars, schools and businesses.

And now we will get to listen to a few antis rag about that statement for the next 5 pages.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Ahh I'm not hip to the new lingo the kids use I know thx lol lmao ttc <3 and thats about it. Missed the wink too
Lol dont feel bad. I learned TIC yesterday.........lol

All i knew up until then was ttyl and wtf......
Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Lol dont feel bad. I learned TIC yesterday.........lol

All i knew up until then was ttyl and wtf......
I know whiskey tango too
Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
First of all you have to get to a phone, dial the number, wait for an answer, by now your screwed with a determined attacker. Yup the cops are still coming, they'll look good photographing the crime scene while armed. Hopefully the attacker leaves a beautiful
corpse. Another monument to societies failures.
There's a great saying,,, there are no victims just volunteers,, I've had the benefit of living in a few really nasty places and stunningly safe places, like now. The prowler at the neighbours house I mentioned was trying to steal x-mass decorations, that's as bad as it gets here, besides a hare that eats everybody's flowers. Some people set themselves up for crappy things. If, per chance someone crosses the threshold into my home, the law goes out the window, then I'll call the police. But, like I said it's highly unlikely.

However, for you folks out there, push for ccw and a citizens constabulary for those not afforded good health.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Banned

I know plenty of fellas that own land that are likely to be carrying a rifle with them or have one handy pretty much all of the time. Why would they need to CCW? I figure that openly carrying a 25-06 for yotes and wolves is a lot more of a deterrent to someone than maybe having something under your jacket. Easier to maneuver a pistol? If someone's got the drop on you it won't matter what you want to defend yourself with.

The only thing stopping people from shooting other people, whether it's with a pistol, rifle or shotgun, is the law (consequences). If it came right down to it the fear of your or someone else's life ought to drum out the fear of prosecution. Self defence is pretty much your only defense in court because you can't kill to protect property.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

I'm 20 minutes from town, and that's me actually knowing where I'm going. So add say 10 minutes for the call to get from 911 to the rcmp, if the nearest cop is on the east end of town add another 5-7 minutes, plus a few for them to actually find my place. So I'm probably looking at 30 minutes best case scenario for police assistance. My closest neighbors are a 65 year old women and a mom with 2 kids. Looks like I'm on my own.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I'm 20 minutes from town, and that's me actually knowing where I'm going. So add say 10 minutes for the call to get from 911 to the rcmp, if the nearest cop is on the east end of town add another 5-7 minutes, plus a few for them to actually find my place. So I'm probably looking at 30 minutes best case scenario for police assistance. My closest neighbors are a 65 year old women and a mom with 2 kids. Looks like I'm on my own.
That's another problem. Ambulance got lost getting here once well over an hour for a 25 minute trip. Ever done CPR for an hour?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw