Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Default Fort McMurray , the City

Ok, I know there more then a few guys on here that live in the Fort. I lived there for about 5 years in the late eighties and early ninties. Any way I am entertaining the idea of a couple of jobs that may have me moving back, so my question is simple any areas not to buy in and why? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Banned

My son comes in fort mac often as he is truckdriver for enviro group.
He tells me he don't even want to be found dead in that rat hole.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Ft Mac.
Born in 72' got out in 74'. Been back a couple times.
That's all I have. Essentially nothing for you. Sorry.

I'd hate to be one of those condo owners out a place to live and a mortgage to boot.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
The people that make comments like that, are usually commuters, or people that just travel here on business, in other words, the people that contribute nothing to the city, and that want nothing to do with the city, other than to make some fast cash. The people that live here full time, and that actually make an effort to become a part of the city, usually feel differently.

As to the OP's question, just like anywhere else, make sure that you don't buy anywhere on the flood plain, or you risk losing a great deal.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:04 PM

I have stayed in town their....wayyyyyyyy to busy for me
Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 PM

1972 to 2006 for this kid. have been back a few times and can't believe how that city which has the industry that makes North America go round and round for the most part, still has nothing to speak of in regards to infrastructure. Its a shame. I miss the McMurray of the 80's and early 90's....
Old 01-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Default Ft. McMurray

You only reap what you sow. Lots of good folks here with big hearts! Where do you want to live?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The people that make comments like that, are usually commuters, or people that just travel here on business, in other words, the people that contribute nothing to the city, and that want nothing to do with the city, other than to make some fast cash. The people that live here full time, and that actually make an effort to become a part of the city, usually feel differently.

As to the OP's question, just like anywhere else, make sure that you don't buy anywhere on the flood plain, or you risk losing a great deal.
He lives there off and on 1 -2 weeks at the time.
I don't think he packs his food or fuel for his semi.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 PM

personally i wouldnt buy any of the new high priced cookie cutter homes in the timberlea or eagle ridge areas. i would look in wood buffalo and the lower thickwood area. there is a new area opened up that is being built in behind timberlea called rainbow creek. its another cookie cutter home community.

wood buffalo is from 99-2000 and theyre not so cheaply built, the houses have a bit of seperation between them and they have front and back yards for the most part. the houses in lower thickwood are for the most part well built in usually nice established neighbourhoods. they have large yards and are all close to green belts and forest trails. some parts of eagle ridge and timberlea are like that as well but you're really going to pay for it and i cant see it being worth it. dickensfield is a nice area just between timberlea and thickwood across from wood buffalo.

keep away from the lower town site (down town, waterways , grayling terrace) you also couldnt pay me to live in gregoire its one of the worlds largest trailer parks . abasand on the new side is ok but the rest of it is a dump.

lived there for 24 years , know it pretty well.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
Good, tell him we don't need his attitude here then.
Pretty simple, if he hates it that much, just stay away, no one is forcing him to come here.

Cat
Old 01-10-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
He lives there off and on 1 -2 weeks at the time.
So he is just another commuter, the people that take what they can get from the city, and make no effort to become a part of our society, or to in any way enhance it.

Quote:
Pretty simple, if he hates it that much, just stay away, no one is forcing him to come here.
Exactly.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
personally i wouldnt buy any of the new high priced cookie cutter homes in the timberlea or eagle ridge areas. i would look in wood buffalo and the lower thickwood area. there is a new area opened up that is being built in behind timberlea called rainbow creek. its another cookie cutter home community.

wood buffalo is from 99-2000 and theyre not so cheaply built, the houses have a bit of seperation between them and they have front and back yards for the most part. the houses in lower thickwood are for the most part well built in usually nice established neighbourhoods. they have large yards and are all close to green belts and forest trails. some parts of eagle ridge and timberlea are like that as well but you're really going to pay for it and i cant see it being worth it. dickensfield is a nice area just between timberlea and thickwood across from wood buffalo.

keep away from the lower town site (down town, waterways , grayling terrace) you also couldnt pay me to live in gregoire its one of the worlds largest trailer parks . abasand on the new side is ok but the rest of it is a dump.

lived there for 24 years , know it pretty well.
Awesome thank you that the info I'm looking for we lived in Thickwood on wolverine dr.
That's kind of where my wife was looking again.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:09 PM

Thickwood has everything a fella need, there is no need to go downtown unless you need to go to canadain tire, heck, Outdoor Essesntials is even loacated up there!
There are some very nice areas in there.
I would not move into the newer part of timberlea, myself.
Cat
Old 01-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
No help there , life any where is what you make it , I have lots of good friends and memories from my first time living there.

I know it's changed and had some quick massive growth, that why I asked for input from actual residents and the city

Thanks for the replies from those that LIVE there
Old 01-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Awesome thank you that the info I'm looking for we lived in Thickwood on wolverine dr.

thats the street i grew up on !
Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

Cat
Ditto - times a lot!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
We used to live on Windsor Drive, kinda 'tight' in there though.
Now we're in Abasand (north part) on Alexander Crescent.

I would suggest looking in an area that will be good for work commuting.
We bought where we are because my wife works out at the airport and in living where we are means we don't have to deal with traffic backups on 63.

Having 10 lanes across the Athabasca now is going to fix that problem for good , and it has certainly helped, but as traffic continues to increase we're gonna need more!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
have YOU ever been there?????
Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
thats the street i grew up on !

205 was the first house we ever owned
Old 01-10-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
205 was the first house we ever owned

same area too then, we were in 166
Old 01-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Spent many a night on Wolverine at Klippensteins house wrenching on our jet skis.....
Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Spent many a night on Wolverine at Klippensteins house wrenching on our jet skis.....
he used to work on the old mans quad from time to time .
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
No help there , life any where is what you make it , I have lots of good friends and memories from my first time living there.

I know it's changed and had some quick massive growth, that why I asked for input from actual residents and the city

Thanks for the replies from those that LIVE there
The over passes are danged near finished now so commute times are shortened up quite a bit
Used to take me about an hour and a half to get to work if there was a wreck o. The bridge that time is now about 35 minutes
Cat
Old 01-10-2014, 07:04 PM

Fort Mcmurray has everything a family needs . People that complain get wants and needs mixed up.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
have YOU ever been there?????
Nope, not planning to either. Son says F-mac is a dump and i believe him.
I get claustrophobia in any place where houses are within 2 miles of each other.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't buy a house in Fort Mac. Only way I would consider going back again is to a fly in fly out camp job.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Nope, not planning to either. Son says F-mac is a dump and i believe him.
I get claustrophobia in any place where houses are within 2 miles of each other.
Please try to convince your son, to find work elsewhere. If he is convinced that Fort McMurray is such a dump,he shouldn't even bother coming here! And don't worry, we will get along just fine without him.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Please try to convince your son, to find work elsewhere. If he is convinced that Fort McMurray is such a dump,he shouldn't even bother coming here! And don't worry, we will get along just fine without him.
Its far from a dump. I truly miss a lot of aspects of it. I feel I grew up there in its perfect time however. Very lucky to have spent the time there that I did. From leaving the front door walking down Father Mercredi St with a .308 on my back to cross the frozen Clearwater at 14, throwing a backpack on and rippin to the Christina River mouth on a stand up jet ski in the summers, to my Dad keeping his ski plane at the Snye in the winter, playing minor hockey at Townsite Arena, it had everything a kid could want back then. Awesome memories is what I have of McMurray. I left when the transient mentality took over and I'm fine with that decision. Its still not a dump however...

Last edited by 1899b; 01-11-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 PM

I moved up a few years ago. Looked at all the areas and liked Beacon Hill and thickwood the best. There's some nice houses downtown too, but chose thick wood in the end. Love fort mcmurray btw, whatever you put into the community will come back ten fold, great place to live
Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
He probably goes for the same reason 90% of the people up there. Money... No offense to yourself and others that enjoy it up there but the reason pay is so great up there is because the majority of people don't want to live/work there.

I am sure there are some decent people and neighbourhoods that would make living in Fort Mac bearable but I wouldn't want to buy a place up there. Not so much because I would be totally opposed to living there but because everything is so overpriced and lots of the newer places are poorly constructed.

I just have trouble understanding why some people would want to live right in Fort Mac(the ones obviously moving there for the money) when they could live elsewhere and just fly in to work instead.