Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
To me it is common knowledge that spinning components don't mesh well with stationary components when you hit the shift button at highway speeds. There are a lot of oieces that have to come up to speed very quickly in order for 4x4 to engage.

And no, on this particular truck, the front end is not always turning, unless something drastic changed with ford in the last 2 model years. Your auto hubs are engaged by vacuum, which causes the front hubs to engage. You basically shock loaded your entire front drivetrain by hitting that button at highway speeds.

I say all of the above because I did the exact same thing as you , with the same results.

Slow it down to make the shift.
This is true but the only way to safely shift to 4wd at speed is if the manual hubs are locked that way the front axels and drive shaft are already up to speed. At least with the any truck that still has auto/manual hubs.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
**** happens and your covered bud! So it's all good! The whole common knowledge thing is a waste of air! I'm sure buddy's done a few things that lack common knowledge too. The term common knowledge is for the stare down the nose types haha.
You're right. I learned the hard way many times. Don't claim to know it all.
I learn every day.

I would say omega50 and dale have said it well.

I haul vehicles to the scrap yard. Around 80 a year.
I see transfercases and diffs being sold all the time due to high speeds in 4x and pulling loads way too fast.
Part of the problem is guys making $100000 a year and think there's no end in sight. Throw it away, buy a new one.
Apparently I was wrong on the common knowledge angle.
Sometimes I forget what it's like to be 21.
I wish I could go back and do it again with what I know now.

This forum offers an opportunity to learn about stuff like this.
Would have been nice to have it as a resource when I was a kid.

Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Note: Do not use 4X4 mode on dry, hard surfaced roads. Doing so will produce excessive noise, increase tire wear and may damage drive components. 4X4 mode is only intended for consistently slippery or loose surfaces.
Road was not dry at all. Very icy.

Quote:
To me it is common knowledge that spinning components don't mesh well with stationary components when you hit the shift button at highway speeds. There are a lot of oieces that have to come up to speed very quickly in order for 4x4 to engage.

And no, on this particular truck, the front end is not always turning, unless something drastic changed with ford in the last 2 model years. Your auto hubs are engaged by vacuum, which causes the front hubs to engage. You basically shock loaded your entire front drivetrain by hitting that button at highway speeds.

I say all of the above because I did the exact same thing as you , with the same results.

Slow it down to make the shift.
I now realize this after tonight internet research.

Quote:
This is true but the only way to safely shift to 4wd at speed is if the manual hubs are locked that way the front axels and drive shaft are already up to speed. At least with the any truck that still has auto/manual hubs.
I will be leaving my hubs locked in the winter from now on.
This way I can shift into 4WD at any speed at any time without shock loading the T-case.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
You're right. I learned the hard way many times. Don't claim to know it all.
I learn every day.

I would say omega50 and dale have said it well.

I haul vehicles to the scrap yard. Around 80 a year.
I see transfercases and diffs being sold all the time due to high speeds in 4x and pulling loads way too fast.
Part of the problem is guys making $100000 a year and think there's no end in sight. Throw it away, buy a new one.
Apparently I was wrong on the common knowledge angle.
Sometimes I forget what it's like to be 21.
I wish I could go back and do it again with what I know now.

This forum offers an opportunity to learn about stuff like this.
Would have been nice to have it as a resource when I was a kid.

Sorry to hurt your feelings.
This is a very odd response.
What does pulling loads too fast have to do with this thread?
What does one income and age have to do with it?
Who the hell is 21?

I followed a owner's manual that is flawed and somehow you gather this information?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM

I didn't mean to throw it in your face with the common knowledge comment. I should have re read before I hit send.

I meant to point out my own mistake when I did the same thing.

Only problem is, I got a $2400 bill for mine, warranty told me to shove it.
Be thankful that ford took care of you. Sounds like a stand up service dept.

The synchro in the transfer case cannot take that shock load. Leaving hubs in aj one option, the proper winter tires and some weight in the box are another.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean to throw it in your face with the common knowledge comment. I should have re read before I hit send.

The synchro in the transfer case cannot take that shock load. Leaving hubs in aj one option, the proper winter tires and some weight in the box are another.
Was yours still under warranty?
Why did they not warranty it?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:

No worries, I think your reply was the most useful.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
I'd never shift into 4WD at that speed regardless of what the owner's manual says....shifting out of 4WD is another thing.

4WD does nothing for you at 90-100K anyway.

I don't even shift my 1992 GMC shop truck into 4WD at anything over a crawl.....

lucky warranty is going to step up.
Why is he lucky?? I've got a 2003 f-150 and it says " shift into 4x4 high can be done upto speeds of 88km" I've got a 2011 f-350 that say can shift on the fly into high at any speed as long as it's not spinning. So if the owners manual says this and something happens I don't think it's LUCKY that warranty covers it. My thought is there was something faulty and crap happens. Have it fixed and keep using it as manual says or at least till you still have warranty!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 PM

Every truck I have ever owned I have drove at hwy speeds in 4x4 and lots of
Km and never once had a problem with the front end tcase or anything and alot of off road use to my old 2003 f150 I had over 300000 k on that truck never touched the 4x4 and it never failed me .
Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 AM

Default '11 f250 hd

I had about 80k on my truck in 1.5 years, I have to say that more then half of them are made in 4x4 at highway speeds. Never had a problem with 4x4 except in the bush in deep snow, but thats another story.
I did switched at highway speeds all the time, nothing happen.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 AM

I was told once that if you drive at highway speeds for prolonged periods it can cause the T case to pressure up and force oil out.. Not sure if this is bull or not cause I have not had it happen.. I know when pulling the sled trailer to the mountains in the winter I put my truck in and out of 4wd, depending on the road conditions.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:29 AM

My 09 F250 with ESOF the manual states not to shift into 4H at speeds above 88km/h.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:10 AM

It all depends on your 4x4 system. Most 3/4t and heavier are all locked up when in 4x, I'm never to keen on highway speeds like that unless it's very slick. My 4runner has open diffs and I lock it into open 4x4 up to 100km/h, as the maqnual states. Just pop it into neutral until its locked in. Only use the full lockup in deep snow
Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 AM

always best to be not moving when shifting
Old 01-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Banned

read this thread, almost responded, but walked away.

cudn't resist, so came back. thought i'd provide someone for a reason to criticize my post!

anyway, i've been around the block and was taught since i was a kid that if something is mechanical, u'll porbably get better service out of it if u use some respect and common sense when using it. money was always short and we had to try to make everything last for as long as we cud. for these reasons and thru experience, i guess i've become anal about being careful with my stuff.

when i'm going to put one of my rigs into 4X4, i slow right down before engaging it......a slow crawl is plenty fast enough. when i'm disengaging, i actually disengage while going slow, then stop and back up to give the gears a chance to unload.

unless everything is working perfectly, these systems, when loaded, or spinning rapidly do not always engage just right, so i give them every opportunity to do so completely before going faster.

because i'm older, i guess i've come to the conclusion that i'd rather take a little more time (what's a few extra seconds anyway??) than ram stuff around and cost myself a bunch of extra cash.

also, if the road is slippery enough to require the use of 4X4, why the hell wud u be driving 100 kph. just drive on the hwy between calgary and edmonton to see all the idiots.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Default shifting into 4 at high speed bla bla bla

This is what happens when you abuse your front end by doing all of the above.

Excessive 4x4 at high speed being the primary culprit. I live mainly on winter & bush roads.

This was on an '08 F-350.

Some of us HAVE learned the hard way.

Just think, this could be you.

I damn near ditched it when it happened.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 01-11-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
This is what happens when you abuse your front end by doing all of the above.

Excessive 4x4 at high speed being the primary culprit. I live mainly on winter & bush roads.

This was on an '08 F-350.

Some of us HAVE learned the hard way.

Just think, this could be you.

I damn near ditched it when it happened.

Bingo! That's what happens.

The above damage is normally caused by a chain wearing out or breaking in the case. The excess chain wraps up and then makes a new inspection port in the side of the case:
I did the same with an 00 f-350.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:25 PM

I have a 2013 F150 and I'm pretty sure my manual says I can shift into 4x4 high at any speed up to (can't remember) . I looked it up one day after I had a clunk when I put it in 4 high when doing 80ish on the road a month or so ago.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Not to be a negative nancy. But the very few real examples and pictures that are coming up here. Are all completely based on assumptions. You can't tell me that they wouldn't have failed if going slower.

Second of all. The number of 4x4 failures I've ever seen. Almost all, no sorry, literally all happened at low speeds, deep mud, deep snow ect.

Components fail. You don't want your pickup to give you issues, leave it in the garage. I'm not saying I'll run my pickup in 4x4 up to 129km/h down the hi way on a hot summer day. But I bought a 4x4 for a reason. Could have saved some money if I was as scared to use it as some of you.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
Not to be a negative nancy. But the very few real examples and pictures that are coming up here. Are all completely based on assumptions. You can't tell me that they wouldn't have failed if going slower.

Second of all. The number of 4x4 failures I've ever seen. Almost all, no sorry, literally all happened at low speeds, deep mud, deep snow ect.

Components fail. You don't want your pickup to give you issues, leave it in the garage. I'm not saying I'll run my pickup in 4x4 up to 129km/h down the hi way on a hot summer day. But I bought a 4x4 for a reason. Could have saved some money if I was as scared to use it as some of you.
There is a difference between driving highway speeds in 4 wheel drive, and engaging 4wd at highway speeds.

Components need time to mesh. Plain and simple:

Every model and brand is different.

I don't feel like arguing about this any further. I spent 4 years in trade school learning how these systems work and how to fix them. I don't care what you do with your truck, nor should you care what I do with mine. I tried to offer some helpful advice to the op regarding the question he asked. Since you obviously don't care for my opinion and advise, carry on.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post

And as far as the idea that these components would not have failed at lower speeds; as far as the ops issue goes, no, it would not have occurred at a lower speed. Read my explanation of what happened to understand why it was speed, and speed alone, that caused the ops issue.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Banned

bravo dale........sum people will never get it no matter how many different ways u try to present it.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:42 PM

MY 2011 F350 SAYS NOT TO SHIFT INTO 4WD GOING OVER 80KPH.

Grodon
Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 PM

Can someone explain to me why GMC/Chev has an auto setting?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
bravo dale........sum people will never get it no matter how many different ways u try to present it.

The whole darn argument seems to be between:

A) People with mechanical knowledge.

-and-

B) People that run trucks for a living.
(Or both, IE, Dale)

-VS-

A) BUT I DO THIS ALL THE TIME AND IT HASN'T HAPPENED TO ME YET

-and-

B) BUT IT DOESN'T SAY THAT IN THE USER MANUAL

Oye. Common sense guys.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 01-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:

-and-

(Or both, IE, Dale)

-VS-

-and-

Oye. Common sense guys.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
When in auto,the front diff actuator stays engaged but the transfer case does not.When the vehicle senses slipping a clutch pack in the tcase applies pressure which in turn puts power to the front drive shaft.The system works quite well and actually reacts fairly fast.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:

-and-

(Or both, IE, Dale)

-VS-

-and-

Oye. Common sense guys.
Thanks man.
You summed up what I was going to say, minus the profanity.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4x4#Cen...echanical_lock

Maybe this will help you in your quest.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
And as far as the idea that these components would not have failed at lower speeds; as far as the ops issue goes, no, it would not have occurred at a lower speed. Read my explanation of what happened to understand why it was speed, and speed alone, that caused the ops issue.

Well. It still sounds like an assumption to me.

The chain failed. I understand your explanation of how the case was upgraded to incorporate some extra ventilation. I still don't see how anyone can say for are it wouldn't of happened at lower speeds.

As for extra wear at higher speeds, sure. Like anything. Can be said for every component in your vehicle.

Everyone can and will do what they want. I however when appropriate embrace the new technology today's pickups offer. And those who don't. Have at Er.

I also put more faith in many failures blamed on speed come from lack of maintenance. Amazing how many people think on time oil changes and an odd grease job is considered a fully serviced vehicle.