Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
Well. It still sounds like an assumption to me.

The chain failed. I understand your explanation of how the case was upgraded to incorporate some extra ventilation. I still don't see how anyone can say for are it wouldn't of happened at lower speeds.

As for extra wear at higher speeds, sure. Like anything. Can be said for every component in your vehicle.

Everyone can and will do what they want. I however when appropriate embrace the new technology today's pickups offer. And those who don't. Have at Er.

I also put more faith in many failures blamed on speed come from lack of maintenance. Amazing how many people think on time oil changes and an odd grease job is considered a fully serviced vehicle.
We are on two different wave lengths.
You are mixing my responses up regarding 2 different issues.

As far as the original post that started this thread, I stand by what I say. That damage was 100% caused by ENGAGING the 4 wd system at high speed. Not by driving at highway speed in 4wd. Nothing else. Any mechanic worth his wage will agree.

As far as the hole in the side of the t-case, that can be caused by a pile of things. Worn bearings, stretched chains, low oil level, bad luck, a heavy right foot and sticky tires, and the list goes on. The most common cause that I have seen is simply wear and poor maintenance.Chains stretch over time. Things break.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
We are on two different wave lengths.
You are mixing my responses up regarding 2 different issues.

As far as the original post that started this thread, I stand by what I say. That damage was 100% caused by ENGAGING the 4 wd system at high speed. Not by driving at highway speed in 4wd. Nothing else. Any mechanic worth his wage will agree.

As far as the hole in the side of the t-case, that can be caused by a pile of things. Worn bearings, stretched chains, low oil level, bad luck, a heavy right foot and sticky tires, and the list goes on. The most common cause that I have seen is simply wear and poor maintenance.Chains stretch over time. Things break.
I gotcha. My bad.

I can agree to that to a point. Going by his story I can buy it may of been likely caused by high speed engagement. I wouldn't dare to say 100%. I wouldn't be able to say 100%. To make such a claim, you better be prepared to define the exact speed in which he would need to be under to have prevented it. It's still an opinion.

Anyway. I'm done here. No hard feelings.

Just an argument to go no where. As a mechanic that's worth his wage, I know the importance of being confident in his claims, when putting a customer at blame. Assumptions is the best way to send a hopeful repeat customer down the street. That's my only point on this discussion. The root cause of many failures is often guessed, but rarely known as a 100% certainty.

Just bugs me when people list their credentials then rattles their opinion right behind it as absolute fact.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 AM

One thing I get from this is that the O.P. has found a very good dealership that is worthy of praise and promotion.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 AM

Up to 80 Kilometers per hour.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 AM

I'll sum it up for you guys.....My personal Toyotas, Jeep CJ's, and full size blazer the hubs were always locked in... but I would slow down or stop to put in 4x4 and always slow down to disengage.....Company trucks over the last 15 yrs..hubs were always engage...4x4 would be engaged "at will" anywhere from 10kph to 110kph and left engaged for minutes to months at a time on the highway and off....I was one of the lucky ones I guess as I never had a transfer case or transmission fail...