Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-05-2018, 04:19 PM

Default Kimber Montana Stock

Well I seem to have the itch (still) for an ultra lightweight rifle. I tried the Kimber Hunter but I really found the grip to be on the small side. Does the Montana have the same stock dimensions? Specifically in the pistol grip area ie. thickness?

Also does anyone know how the stock on the Kimbers compares to the Barret fieldcraft? I would scratch my itch with a Nula but I don't know if they make them and being a new dad I know that I couldn't afford one anyway. Lol
Thanks.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-05-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Well I seem to have the itch (still) for an ultra lightweight rifle. I tried the Kimber Hunter but I really found the grip to be on the small side. Does the Montana have the same stock dimensions? Specifically in the pistol grip area ie. thickness?

Also does anyone know how the stock on the Kimbers compares to the Barret fieldcraft? I would scratch my itch with a Nula but I don't know if they make them and being a new dad I know that I couldn't afford one anyway. Lol
Thanks.
I think Kurt505 has recently (within the last couple of years) purchased a couple of NULAs. He would know what they cost. He has also had(has) Kimber Montanas. He would be a good resource.

I find the Montana grips to fit me well and I have a large/XL glove size. I didn't notice that the Hunter's stock was significantly different? I just found that the stock came off second best when you are used to the Montana stock. I have both a 84M and a 8400WSM.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Banned

Ya I had a Montana and I’m kicking myself for selling it! They have a narrower grip than the Nula’s but they sure seem to shoulder well. I had the 84L model in 280ai. After owning the Montana and playing around with a Hunter, like AB2506 said, I would go straight to the Montana even if it meant holding out for an extra year. The thing about the Nula is that they are built specifically for you, Melvin asks for a few measurements then builds the stock to fit you and at the same time balances out the rifle to your dimensions. It’s not something you notice with other rifles until you have one built.

I had a Forbes and it was nice, looked like a Nula and shot like a Nula but wasn’t as well balanced as the Nula.

I think the Barret Fieldcraft might be the next rifle I buy though. As much as I like the Montana I like to try new things. Had a couple finnlights but they didn’t do it for me, a Tikka T3 superlite that I couldn’t shoot freehand if my life depended on it. I’m liking my Christensen Ridgeline but it’s not really what I would consider an ultra lite.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Kurt. Have you ever owned the Weatherby Ultra lightweight?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, I had a couple Accumarks though. I wouldn’t mind trying one though, I know a couple guys who own them and like them.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I had one in 280 Rem and I absolutely loved it. Should never have sold it. Why can't I hang on to a rifle for more than 6 months is beyond me.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I had one in 280 Rem and I absolutely loved it. Should never have sold it. Why can't I hang on to a rifle for more than 6 months is beyond me.
Spend more money on it, that way you have to keep it for a few years 😁
Old 10-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Spend more money on it, that way you have to keep it for a few years 😁
Daughter in college and son in sports. No $ for Dad.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:24 AM

Fieldcraft is the only way to fly these days. The stock still feels right even though it is light.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 10-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Who stocks the Fieldcraft?
Old 10-06-2018, 01:23 PM

Whats the price difference between the fieldcraft and Montana
Old 10-06-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Whats the price difference between the fieldcraft and Montana
A couple hundred bucks, probably $3oo tops.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Daughter in college and son in sports. No $ for Dad.
What scope was on it? I bought one off of here, curious if it was from you?
Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Who stocks the Fieldcraft?
Clay at Prophet River can bring one in for you. He did for me.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
Clay at Prophet River can bring one in for you. He did for me.
How do you like it?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:26 PM

I honestly just got it in my hands today. Fit and finish looks great (although I haven’t taken it apart to really take a look at it yet). It shoulders really nicely and balance seems really good. I did get it in 30-06, and their long actions have the longer #2 contour barrel, so I’m not sure how the short actions with the shorter #0 contour barrel are.
I’m planning on putting either a vx3 2.5-8 or fxii 6x36 on it, in Talley lw lows ring, so it should be a really nice light carrying rig.
Unfortunately, with my kids just starting up in hockey again, I have no idea when I’m going to get a chance to do any kind of load development or get any shooting in at all with it. It might be hanging out in my safe feeling unloved for awhile.