Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-02-2007, 09:13 AM
sheephunter

What part of unless there is a big game or bird season open are you missing Stinky? You need to be hunting something inder the authority of a licence.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14Hunter View Post
Today,
The Kananaskis Conservation Office returned my call concerning weapon carry for self-defense. She stated that the carry of a rifle for game hunting was legal if the rifle calibre was PROPORTIONAL to the animal being hunted and there was no exceptions to this, period. So the last post I made is indeed incorrect. No pistol grip shotguns with rifled slugs are permitted, unless it's bear season or some other big game at close range. Hope this clears things up!
Interesting. I hunt right near that station, just before it turns into Provincial park proper. Since I can hunt in that area, I wouldn't have thought anything of going into it in the off season for some sighting in or target practice... Now you are saying that would be illegal? Good to know...

As for the proportionality point, are there really regs to cover that??? Imean, is there an upper limit to what you can use on a coyote???? legally?

Last edited by Okotokian; 08-02-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM
sheephunter

The point is Okotokian.....this is a PARK and hunting and carrying a gun is only permitted under authority of a licence. You can't just carry a gun and say you are hunting rabbits, coyotes or ground squirrels. You need to have a licence for the WMU and your gun has to be appropriate for the game your licence is for. Obviously there is some room as to what is considered an appropriate calibre but that's not the important part of this regulation! Carrying a gun before September 5 would be illegal and then you better have a sheep tag.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The point is Okotokian.....this is a PARK and hunting and carrying a gun is only permitted under authority of a licence. You can't just carry a gun and say you are hunting rabbits, coyotes or ground squirrels. You need to have a licence for the WMU and your gun has to be appropriate for the game your licence is for. Obviously there is some room as to what is considered an appropriate calibre but that's not the important part of this regulation! Carrying a gun before September 5 would be illegal and then you better have a sheep tag.
Like I said, good to know. I would have unwittingly been in contravention of the law very easily... I have a good friend who works out of that station. Would have been embarassing having him cite me!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 PM

Helpful link for Provincial Parks (including Wildland Provincial Parks that allow hunting):

http://gateway.cd.gov.ab.ca/pubsandmedia/Regulations%20WEB%20brochure.pdf

If you're cruising around K-country in your flip flops in July, you best not be brandishing the ole'
45-70 or your 22 for that matter, in the name of hunting mountain rats.

Chet

Last edited by Chet; 08-02-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
What part of unless there is a big game or bird season open are you missing Stinky? You need to be hunting something inder the authority of a licence.
I guess where i'm lost is...what about small game?....i though rabbits could be legally hunted year round?....i guess i need to know the boundaries of 'where' they can be hunted year round? I thought all of k-country?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 AM
sheephunter

My understanding is that if you are hunting in a Wildland Park it can only be for a species for which you hold a licence. As small game requires no licence then you cannot hunt them. There are parts of K-Country where there are no parks so I'm sure it's legal there but not in the Wildland Parks.

http://tprc.alberta.ca/parks/kananas...onGettyMap.pdf
Old 08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

Well this IS interesting. Cripes theres more 'parked up' k-country than not. This is good info to know...the bear protection thing during non-hunting seasons takes on a little more thought forsure....ie; bearspray...keeps things pretty simple it appears.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Thumbs up

I do carry a thunderstick when hiking with my family, but I am a long way from the crazyness of K-Country. When I am out in the bush with my family I ofen pack my 12ga Norinco SxS shotgun, just a simple safety precaution, I have not had to use yet. I have practiced with it several times with friends when we will throw a box of clays, its a short range tool, for clays I load up 2 3/4" #6 shot, for hiking I prefer Tripple Aught Buckshot 3" Mags.
--Ken