Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2023, 10:36 AM

Default resurfacing cement pad (slippery when done?)

I poured a 21'x30' 8" thick, air entrained, brush finished pad in front of my farm shop and am not happy with the finish (it was plus 28 the saturday we poured and the experienced guys on my buddy list didn't show up due to work/hangovers etc. I thought they were just late until the truck was there to pour and we did the best we could)

The result has high and low spots plus/minus 0.5 inch but has three sharp ridges and valleys across the full width I can't roll across on a creeper easily.
The purpose is a parking/wash/sandblasting pad and for equipment that won't fit through the door.

I plan on waiting for the 28 day cure and then use a diamond cup and hand grinder to fix a few of the deepest valleys and spalled areas then fix with a product like MG-Krete or Terrafuse TF Structural. Depending on how it looks after that I may have the entire surface diamond ground smooth by a cement refinisher (paying a guy, should have used a professional the first time and I can only imagine how bad I could mess it up if I rent a walk behind grinder).

Is this the best route to fix it? If I surface the entire pad and lose my brushed surface what do I seal it with after and how slippery will it be? Is there a textured paint that will stay on if I paint it immediately after grinding?

Thanks for any advice
Old 07-16-2023, 03:49 PM

Why not ask the concrete refinisher/contractor for their opinion? Call a few reputable companies, explain your situation and ask for an estimate on what they think would be the most sound repair. Yeah they'll try to upsell you some high end overkill solution but at least it'll be fixed right and you can go on your way without the further headache.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:37 AM

Could you self level the entire shop? And sprinkle grit on it before it sets if you don't want a slippery floor?
Old 07-18-2023, 10:06 AM

After talking with a few guys I decided my best option is to wait the 28 days, spot grind and fill the lowest spots, spot grind and blend the highest spots and work on it for a week.
If it is still to uneven as a work surface I will get a contractor in to diamond grind the high spots to an acceptable level. If it is to slippery sandblast and use a stain/seal product with a grit additive. (I will use the stain/seal/grit regardless, the sandblasting depends on the finsih)
Thanks for the suggestions and PM's